“Excellent”

The John Barleycorn
Ranked #9 of 145 Restaurants in Harlow
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a friendly country pub doing fine food. Great garden dining. Book early to avoid disappointment.
Reviewed July 15, 2012

A chance recommendation led us to this wonderful place.setting is beautiful and the staff and management very friendly and helpful . Large portions of food and great service ,what more could you ask for?

There are newer reviews for The John Barleycorn

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Had another great meal last night, I can recommend the pie out of the dish, the gravy was amazing and soaked up by the mash. My fellow diners enjoyed their chicken, steak and fish - all good. They were happy to mix and match a few of the items to meet our diverse eating issues.
The desert menu was a bit thin, I like a chocolate cake of sorts and none was available, but I was full anyway, so no harm done.
Only downer was it was very noisy there last night, they could use a sound damping curtain or similar
Still, I have been there before and I will be going again - good honest food

1  Thank Charles M
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I use to visit The John Barleycorn many years ago when it was a traditional country pub.

Taking a friend from Sweden here, for a real pub experience, was disappointed to find it had changed more into a restaurant, then pub.

We decided to stay and eat, as well have a beer.

The service was good and pleasant enough, although the food really just average, especial for the charges being made.

I feel it lacked a personal touch, or something unique and special that the pub use to have.

A drink in the garden, by the fish pond, especially during a summer evening is, and always has been great, this certainly has not changed.

For me, a beer and relaxed chat in the garden yes, place to eat, unfortunately no.

1  Thank AdzzzPhotography
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We went to the John Barleycorn after not going for a long while as my son told me it had improved. There were 5 of us and the service was not to bad. The seating and table layout had improved and was very comfortable. unfortunately the food had not improved as much. I had the sirloin steak which was supposed to be 10oz and while I did not have scales with me it seemed a little small, the vegitables were fairly hard which they said there customers like. We asked for them to be softer and were told no problem, unfortunately they were no different. My steak was sent back as it had a lot of grissel and was told it was the RINE I thought you only got that on pork. All they did was cut it out and return the steak to me. At nearly £19 dont think it was good enough. No one was impressed with there meal and we wont be returning.

2  Thank petervandersluis
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Can't believe we have never been here before. On walking in we were greeted by friendly staff. I asked about the vegetarian food and was given a lot choice, more than I usually am which was a pleasant surprise. The lady who explained all this, may have been the manager, was chatting away to my children too.

We had the bread selection for starters, which was just lovely. When the food arrived it was well presented and tasted gorgeous, even the kids ate every thing off their plates! We were all impressed and are going back soon. We keep recommending the John Barleycorn to everyone. We went on a wet day, but the outside is pretty and plenty of seating.