“A truely filthy hotel!”

Park Inn by Radisson Harlow
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Harlow
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I had read the reviews on here about this hotel but was prepared to give it a chance. I should have stayed away! I arrived late on Sunday evening after a nightmare trip down from the North West and from the carpark could see curtains inside hanging off broken hooks, this did not bode well. The reception area was quite pleasant and the lady who checked me in could not have been nicer. Then went to my room. The carpet in the corridor are dirty, stained and do not look to have been vacuumed for some time, the corridor is dark and dingy looking. The room it's self again looks like it has never seen a vacuum cleaner and the bathroom has moldy tiles, long (and short - Ew!) black hairs on the floor and in the bath but the worst of all is the smell! I am supposed to be here for 5 nights but I will be leaving this morning!

The dissappointing this that many people have commented here on the same issues and the hotel does not seem to have acted on it. It advertises itself as newly refurbished and while some of the fittings in the room do seem new, I think they new new cleaning equipment, cleaning staff and a new manager if the current one thinks this is an acceptable standard.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank AKA_Wiccan
ManagerWD17, Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harlow, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2010

Dear Guest,

As the new General Manager of the Park Inn by Radisson in Harlow I am grateful to you for taking the time and trouble to write a review about your recent stay at the hotel. Your experience of the hotel was certainly not great and has given me a good insite as to where I need to concentrate my efforts going forward to improve things for the future.

Please be assured that my team and I will make great efforts to improve things for the future.

You will recall that I have written to you via your travel agents to offer compensation for your disappointing stay and would be very pleased to discuss the improvements we will be making personally should you so wish and can be contacted directly on james.gardner@rezidorparkinn.com

Reviewed September 30, 2010

I stop at this hotel for work at least 3 nights a week. It is clean, the staff excellent! A good bar ( a bit pricey) and the restaurant is of good standard. I have eaten there a few times. Also I get to use the gym facilities. So big bonus. All in all I would DEFINATELY recommend this hotel. It is also good value. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We were there for a family function and so didn't really have any choice about where to stay. The reviews on here didn't fill me full of confidence but we went in with an open mind...

On the positive side the room was clean, but with the fold down bed in place it was fairly cramped. I was a bit surprised that there is no wardrobe (just a couple of rails to hang clothes on) but the bed was comfortable, decent bathroom and we were checked in fairly quickly and painlessly even though we arrived late.

Breakfast was fine but lunch was woeful. The curry I ordered wasn't available and I had to substitute a pasta (it was cheaper but they didn't offer to refund the difference). It was lukewarm and not particularly nice and was very expensive for what it was. Disappointing that they don't offer a kids menu as well.

The next day we just ordered a couple of bowls of chips as a snack and they took over an hour to arrive and were a mushy, greasy and inedible mess. When the waitress cleared the table we said how bad teh food was and she said something along the lines of "yes, I thought they looked bad when I brought them out"! No real apology, no offer of a complimentary drink or anything.

As for the other comments the room was clean enough but the hotel itself was pretty drab and dreary; low ceilings and long narrow corridors make it feel claustrophobic and the dark grey carpet doesn't help. The rooms are furnished to a budget but it all looks a bit shabby and down at heel. I know that the pile of the carpet makes it look dirty when it's not but trust me there are stains on there! Decent pool though.

Overall it's grand if you just need a bed for the night but not great for kids and there must be better options out there!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
ParkInnHarlow, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harlow, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2010

Dear andrewmcdonagh,

Firstly let me apologise that your recent stay was not to your liking. You also reported this though our medallia feedback system to which I have responded to you with any offer of compensation to which I have received no response to date.

The wardrobe style you mention is a standard for Park Inn and is designed to ensure that all guest rooms in all hotels maximise natural daylight and space. Generally speaking they have been very well received.

As I have mentioned in my medallia response to you the standard of food you experienced is not indicative of our normal levels. In fact the chef on duty during your stay is now no longer an
employee here at the hotel. I would hope this shows we take all guest feedback seriously and act upon it.

On a positive note I am glad to see you enjoyed breakfast and found the pool to be of a good standard.

You already have my contact details, please feel free to use them so we can ensure your next stay is one you remember for all the right reasons.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed August 10, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for three weeks and do not have much to complain about. If you are the one who is satisfied with the basic amenities, this is the right choice for you. One good thing about the hotel is that the staff is receptive and forthcoming. There was one thing which was conspicuous by its absence - wardrobe. I can give it a eight out of ten for cleanliness of the room. This is a no frills hotel and on that parameter it was a "not bad". The hotel does not provide iron/ironing board unless requested for and you will have to ask for it everytime you need it as the house-keeping would take it away the next day. Also, you need to categorically ask them to replenish the toileteries and change the bedsheets which they won't unless it looks too dirty in the first glance.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Dirty carpets in corridors, stains on the chairs in my room, colleagues room smelt awful and bar full of flies!! Generally in need of a major refit. The breakfast was OK. Overall I think it was expensive for the condition of the place!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
ParkInnHarlow, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harlow, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2010

Dear Connor07,

I was sorry to see you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and thought I would respond to your comments.

I can assure you the corridors are not dirty and stained, it is the style of the pile of the carpet that may give this effect. It is clean and hoovered daily.

Regarding your colleagues room, clearly this was not brought to our attention during the stay or an alternative room would be found, If possible I would appreciate any comments on what the smell was, this will enable us to resolve any issue there may be.

Regarding the flies - there has been a recent problem in the local area which has affected the hotel this is now under control and I can assure you and all other users that this is not indiciative of our levels of cleanliness.

Finally, we are priced to be competitive within the market place, I apologise if this was not to your satisfaction.

I certainly hope you will consider using us again, if so please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 4, 2010

Smelly, and very tacky rooms..
I will stick to the travelodge in future!

Needs a complete re fit!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank bukilester
ParkInnHarlow, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harlow, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2010

Dear bukilester,

I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us earlier this year and would like to reassure you that the hotel was partly refurbished just 2 years ago and additional improvement works are ongoing to ensure the product is as would be expected.

I would appreciate it if you could expand on the 'smell' comment - without knowing what this was it makes it difficult to resolve any problem? I must admit I was suprised to read this as it is not a comment that is generall made by guests staying here.

If you decide to not stick to a Travelodge in future then i certainly hope you will contact me and return for a future stay.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2010

We stayed at the hotel as we were visiting some friends locally for the weekend.
Freindly staff on checkin which were helpful staff, he ordered taxis ready for our arrival as we were running late to meet our friends.
Spacious comfortable room, had a great nights sleep, never slept so well.
Quality breakfast with plenty of choice, hot and regularly refreshed. Great fried eggs!!.
On the Saturday, whilst my partner enjoyed a game of golf locally, I was able to relax and chill out in the Leisure centre, great facilities with pool & spa.
Would definitely stay at the Park Inn Harlow again!, wht lovely staff and great service!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlow
Holiday Inn Express Harlow
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath
Elmcroft Guest House
Elmcroft Guest House
#1 of 3 in Epping

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Harlow? Share your experiences!