“Comfortable and good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Roydon Mill Estate

Roydon Mill Estate
Mechelen, Belgium
“Comfortable and good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I've stayed at a lodge in The Roydon Mill Estate (now named Roydon Marina Village I believe) 3 times in the same number of years. The lodges are a good size, the decor is modern and practical. You get a fully equipped kitchen, so you can save a lot of money on dining-out. Some of the lodges come with a hot tub (you do pay a bit more for that), which is a fun extra.

The location of the estate is perfect if you want to explore Essex, Cambridge and areas of Greater London. One thing to note is that the estate is located right next to the railway station, so you can hear trains passing by regularly. The upside is that you can get into Central London in under an hour!

We never tried the on-site restaurant, so I can't say anything about the quality of it. I can say there are some great pubs in the area where you can get a good dinner. There's also an Indian takeaway in the village which is excellent.

A great plus is that they have a couple of lodges where pets are allowed, so we got to take our dog with us last time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Staffs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Good:
Fantastic lodges, roomy, well equipped, didn't get to use our hot tub due to weather but good addition, clean, within reasonable (10-15 mins) walking distance to shops, pubs and restaurants in Roydon, handy onsite bar serving food.
Not so good:
Limited onsite facilities (no pool, no shop, etc) but understand these are being developed.
We went as a couple with a young baby, probably not ideal for children who need activities on holiday due to not much on site but great if just using as a base as lots of room in lodges for families.

• Stayed April 2012
kent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

On arrival at this park we were informed in not a very pleasant manner we were 50 minutes early, I asked if they could check if the accommodation was ready the reply was "NO" we were the only people checking in!
I went back an hour later and was handed the key!

I went to the lodge with my family to find that the hot tub was very dirty, there was scale and hairs and all kinds of bits of dirt in it! I went back to reception to complain an older lady said it was a hard water area and it was clean, she was rude and arrogant, I argued I have been on three holidays this year all with hot tubs....all clean, I was told someone would look at it, someone came to look told me he couldnt clean it out now it was too late! I asked to be moved,I was only there for 4 days didnt want to wait another day to use the hot tub. A young girl, who tried to help said we could look at No 12 or No.15 or No.3 or No.5 all empty and ready??

So one of those must have been cleaned and ready to move in to at 3.10pm??

We chose No 3, the hot tub was clean! Lodge was not so clean, bathrooms/kitchen and general cleaning was fine but windows were very dirty, cobwebs (and spiders) in every corner and the floor instantly turned all my childrens socks black!
The shower door was broken and there was mould around the crevices in the shower!
The wardrobe contained 4 coat hangers, left by previous guests who obviously thought we may need them!
The bed/bedding was atrocious, the pillows were old and hard/lumpy the mattress was so worn it dipped into the middle where you could feel every spring. By the second day I went out and brought new pillows and new quilts so as we could sleep on the top of the beds!!

The hot tub is lovely but there is no outside furniture as such, a old wooden table and 4 dirty mismatched chairs, we had lovely weather but nowhere to sit and enjoy it!
The staff start working on the grounds at about 7.00am they actually make more noise than the passing train every 10 minutes, so a holiday lie in is impossible!

I didnt complain again, the attitude of the staff was very unaccommodating!
This is the worst Hoseasons site I have ever been to ( I went to one 3 weeks previously absolutely perfect!) it was a last minute booking and there were not many available with hot tubs which was a priority for us, I can now see why this one was available!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 98anonymous98

Travelers are raving about these Harlow hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We recently stayed in a VIP lodge (no. 2 - which is, apparently, a show lodge) for three days with our two young children. The lodge was comfortable enough, though the bed was only a double and is surrounded by a decorative wooden platform that's extremely painful if accidentally walked into - which is easy to do when the light's are out and you're making your way back from the bathroom. The mattress could also do with a topper, and the duvet was almost unbearable if you're used to feathered - cheap and sweaty, as well as several feet too wide and too long for the bed. Not my idea of luxury...

That said, the bath in the family bathroom was nice and deep, and the shower in our en-suite was great, though we couldn't get the radio to work (possibly our fault as we haven't used a shower-radio before). We also liked the soft furnishings and colours used to decorate, though the blind in the kitchen was a nightmare to operate with the window open - so planning could have been better.

Unfortunately one of our sofas had two large and very visible rips in the leather/material, and there was no light-bulb in the bedside lamp in our bedroom. Also, the lights on the exterior of the lodge in the garden weren't working, though we could see lights on other lodges. When, on the second day, I asked for our bulbs to be replaced, I was informed the maintenance man was in Ipswich until 9pm. I was thankful it wasn't our oven or hot-tub that had broken, as waiting several hours for something important to be fixed simply isn't acceptable. Our lamp shade was also broken, and had been balanced in place on the remaining metal prongs. Surely this was not too expensive to replace?

The hob and oven-door also needed cleaning, and all cutlery and crockery had to be washed-up prior to being used. This was particularly annoying as the place is fitted with a dishwasher. I can only imagine these things were previously washed with no detergent, as there was food and grease on them when we arrived.

The television (channels 1-5 only) worked intermittently, with programmes generally flicking on and off every 20-60 seconds. As there's nothing to do on site our children were consequently often bored, though a swing-ball did just about fit in the garden in the space next to the hot-tub.

Trains whiz past the complex seemingly every few moments, which is annoying first thing in the morning when you're trying to sleep (windows must be left open in summer or the lodge becomes very hot); and we were kept awake until nearly 4am the first night by very noisy neighbours using their hot-tub (and shouting at each other to be heard over the jets). We got less than five hours sleep in the end, which wasn't a good start to a family holiday as we had no energy to entertain the (bored) children. The lodge guidebook says no hot-tubs should be used after 11pm, but since the guidebook is hidden in a drawer unlikely to be opened, and there's no-one around to enforce the rule, you're at the mercy of your neighbours' sense of decency (which often disappears with a few drinks) as well as their observation skills.

Our (very small) garden was fairly private - with the exception of a small bare patch in the hedge looking into a neighbour's garden and kitchen; but it was possible to hear everything our neighbours said, and most of the other lodges were nowhere near as private as ours was, with hot-tubs being overlooked by anyone walking past! There was no parasol to provide shade on the decking and the garden chairs were rather aged and covered in bird droppings.

The interior also needed a lick of paint, particularly the ceilings, which appeared to have only ever been given one coat. The site was much the same, with attractive areas alongside others that were more reminiscent of a gypsy site.

Overall, it was an okay stay, thanks to the great weather and the lovely hot tub, but we expected better in many areas. We may return for an impromptu weekend away without the children if the weather's good, but only because it's so close to home and because we don't have a garden (we live in a flat).

Room Tip: Lodge 2 has a particularly private garden.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed with friends on a short break which we really enjoyed and was great for visiting London and the new shopping centre in Stratford. The lodges are really greta and we enjoyed using the hot tub. The food was good value for money with really good service and the new manager, Tanya was really on top of things.
Would recommend very highly and the walks around the new marina were fantastic.

Room Tip: The hotel rooms are comfortable but the lodges are just woww!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Harlow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

I am writing this after reading the review posted by Claire in December. I agree with everything Claire said she must have been there on the same night as me and my party of 12!
The place was a shambles, everyone on our table received their food except for me. Most of our table said their food was cold.
We called for the manager who was bombarded with complaints and to give him his due he offered everyone in the place a full refund. I refused to stay and pay money behind the bar especially as i had not eaten so i left, my colleagues said the entertainment was good. The bar ran out of wine!!!
I received my refund within a few days, I was grateful and would thank the staff for sorting that out so quickly.
Its a real shame this happened as it could be a real good venue. I doubt i would take the chance and return but you never know!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank essexsue
norfolk england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed at Roydon Marina Village for our annual long weekend away with the family. First impressions of the lodge was very nice, spacious and clean,( we had the lodge that allows pets) with large TV (with sky but only has terrestrial channels available) and all the electrical items you could need for your stay. The hot tube was great but as pointed out in previous reviews not very private. The train station is only a 10 minute walk, but this also means that the train track is right next to the park and trains were passing every few minutes sometimes under one minute between them. We ate at the parks restaurant on our second night and whilst the staff were friendly, some of the order was forgotten which resulted in one of our party having to wait whilst the chef cooked their meal after the rest of us had been given ours. The food wasn't all the great either so on our last night we ate at a restaurant in town which was a lot better. The park doesn't have a convenience store of any kind which is a little annoying but there is a shop around 15-20 minutes walk away or 5 minutes car journey.
All in all we had a great family weekend but feel I wouldn't recommend the park to friends and wouldn't return there as we have stayed in better places in past years.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank n0rf0lk_lad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlow
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
#4 of 8 in Harlow
Park Inn by Radisson Harlow
Premier Inn Ware Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Harlow

Been to Roydon Mill Estate? Share your experiences!