“Great food but service needs attention.”

Barnacles Restaurant & Bar Bistro
Ranked #4 of 101 Restaurants in Hinckley
Cuisines: European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Barnacles Restaurant & Bar Bistro offers guests a very warm welcome. Seating downstairs in our contemporary Bistro offers a relaxed atmosphere where you can enjoy exquisite food, fine wines, great beers, a snug log fire and our outside terrace. Upstairs is our award winning restaurant which offers the very best quality food which reflects our personality and the ethos of Barnacles Restaurant & Bar Bistro. We strive to deliver affordable, locally sourced seasonal produce, never compromising on style or quality. Our extensive menus are designed to suit every taste and budget, whether you are celebrating a special occasion or fancy a classic British bistro dish, you are sure to enjoy your visit!
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great food but service needs attention.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

Saturday evening table for 6. Food was very good. Environment very pleasant. Good value for money. Service needs attention. Waiting staff were very pleasant but tended to congregate around a bar facing away from diners chatting to each other. This made gaining their attention almost impossible unless you left your table & approached them. I expect better in a restaurant of this standard.That said, I would return.

• Visited May 2014
BarnaclesHinckley, Owner at Barnacles Restaurant & Bar Bistro, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hi There

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We are addressing the service issues in that we are recruiting and training more staff. We have customer comments cards for all our customers every night and rarely have complaints about the service. An improvement in our service and service times is always something we strive to achieve as does any eating establishment and as such we appreciate customer comments and feedback.

We do hope to see you in the future

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Super atmosphere, great food, service needs attention”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Hubby & I decided to treat ourselves to a nice meal out last night & chose Barnacles, which we have used several times under its new owners. I phoned at 6.30 for a table & happily for them they were full until 9.30 which we were fine with. We had a dr ink in the bar, ordered & got our table around 10. It was very busy & the young staff were noticeably a bit flustered. We weren't in a rush so it was fine. After getting our table, starters were still 15 mins wait. The food was fab - prawn & salmon timbale moist & succulent, duck ballotine very tasty. Another 30 min wait for mains. Hubby's sirloin was cooked perfectly & tender, my trio of fish was wonderful, particularly the swordfish which can be tricky & dry if done badly.
We love the atmosphere in this restaurant and the food is gorgeous, but I have to agree with other reviewers that the very pleasant staff need to be quicker. & more attentive for it to match the excellence of the good. Don't let it put you off if you haven't been. It's a lovely place. & they will get it right.

“Lovely night and amazing food ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

First visit for a meal at barnacles tonight for me And my husband. His and is a massive fish fan and me not so much. Great welcome from staff as you enter and extensive menu to choose from. Staff were very friendly and could not do enough for us. My steak was delicious and perfectly cooked. Would eat and return many times.

2 Thank Laura W
Hi There

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad you had a good dining experience and hope to see you again soon.

Barnacles

I do hope the matter gets resolved.
“Disappointed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

After reading the reviews on trip advisor and based on the two previous visits to Barnacles (admittedly over 3 years ago) my expectations were for fresh fish, cooked well with the setting and staff to suit a well established fish restaurant.
My experience this evening did not meet my expectations, rather than recite the story I will just list the things that did not impress me.
1. Neither wine or water on table when escorted upstairs to eat - even though waitress said it would be
2. Requested small serving of wine, specifically 125mls, was served 175mls
3. Had to request water on table when seared after wine was served
4. Side plate dirty, (waitress did replace(
5. Oysters arrived before drinks
6. Starters: scallops wrapped in pancetta, bacon was so overpowering you couldn't taste the scallop
7. Scallops rubbery and overlooked
8. At no point during the starters did a waitress enquire to how they were ( table behind was asked twice)
9. Main meal - monkfish, lemon rice and seasonal veg. Monkfish either overlooked or membrane not removed. Incredibly chewy and tough
10. Lemon rice was more similar to pilau rice, and seemingly undercooked or microwaved dry. Had better rice honestly in a supermarket ready meal!
11. Waitress did enquire how the main meal was, I was half way through and explained thrice was not up to standard, however I declined it being taken back to the kitchen.
12. At no point did the waitresses actually seem interested and not once was an apology offered.
13. When paying for the meal the manageress took payment, other than informing us they don't accept Amex, no enquires as to how the meal was was made, nor any other conversation - we were ignored.
14. The restaurant was cold, the heaters were being turned on as we entered - surely a little time beforehand is needed to warm the restaurant?

One or two of the above points can be forgiven, however all of the above made for a very poor experience.
I have completed a feedback form - I look forward to any response!!

Needles to say not likely to recommend to anyone or return anytime soon!

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Steph B
“Great job guys!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

We popped in to Barnacles for a quick meal & had a wonderful evening. The new ( old) owners have done a great job at transforming this restaurant into a warm, friendly, accessible modern English eatery with great fish and a wide choice of other dishes. They really need to spread the word locally as lots of our friends still aren't aware of the changes. It's still not a cheap night out but you get what you pay for.

Great fresh fish shop attached with a evolving farm shop. Nothing is too much trouble. We are very lucky to have this in the heart of the midlands, as far away from the sea as you can get!

• Visited March 2014

Barnacles

I do hope the matter gets resolved.