“Great break fantastic food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Green Hotel

The Green Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Kinross
Doha, Qatar
“Great break fantastic food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Booked a night away for myself and my girlfriend. It was using a voucher code which I'm always reluctant to do. But we were greated with a warm friendly welcome. The room was good and the bar had a warm friendly feel to it. Dinner was included and I have to say was fantastic. Didn't make it to the lesuire facilities to lazy!! But if the rest of the hotel is anything to go by then it will be very nice.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Christchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Partner booked this hotel for a couple of days walking. It's an old-fashioned place with young, eager, cheerful staff but there's just something missing. The rooms are spotlessly clean, and work well, comfortable, and quiet. Public areas dated and lack any atmosphere, felt like I was back in an Eastbourne hotel in 1976. Seems weekends are somewhat more lively with live bands.

The only thing that actually riled me was the service throughout. Young, pleasant but oddly distant staff. Check-in was lovely, warm and friendly. However, that's where the fun stopped. Dinner in 'Basil's', the main restaurant was rather a tale of two halves.......the food was very good quality indeed and they deserve their rosette, but the rib-eye steak I ordered at 8oz was somewhere in the area of 4oz. I've had larger minute steaks. Ordered med-well but came very well done, less than a quarter inch thick and about the size of the palm of my average hand. When I pointed this out to one, two, three, four members of staff (two acknowledged it was very small) nothing happened at all, until the Duty Manager approched after around 15-20 mins and kindly waived the £2.50 surcharge for the steak and kindly bought us a drink (thank you). The table next to us also had rib eye steak which was noticeably larger and what I'd expect. We may have been on a promotional offer, but if you advertise and accept this business, please give the same quality of service and portion size as anyone else.

Breakfast next morning didn't really fare any better. Greeted, and invited to sit anywhere, we sat, and sat, and sat, and sat, and sat while several staff served tables around us, until I got up and asked someone for tea & toast. That came promptly, but why completely ignore guests who clearly had an empty table in front of them and were trying to attract attention? The elderly couple next to us gave us their salt & pepper and watched as we received our tea & toast. We asked if they were ok and the lady said she'd ordered a poached egg 20 minutes ago but they'd finished breakfast now. She mustered up and asked where her egg was and it appeared promptly and she enjoyed it. No-one seemed to be in charge of breakfast.

No fruit juice, and the plate under the orange juice jug didn't look as tho it'd been cleaned for several days. Hot buffet is tepid but the quality is good. Breakfast the second day was far better with a supervisor present who ws full of personality.

Dinner second evening in Jock's Bar, food again good, but no atmosphere and the young staff behind the bar were more interested in joking together than listening to customer requests.
I need to call the hotel as they didn't charge for some items.

Overall, this is a hotel that could be so much better with some staff training in service & communication skills.

Kinross itself surprised us, as it was something of a dead town in the centre. Run down and featureless. Stll, some good walking and a great glider station.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Was invited back by manager after previous stay went wrong. Have to give the manager and staff 10 out of 10 for putting things right.
We stayed in room 39 which was huge and very comfortable. In previous post it was reported as "foostie smelling" If this was the case then it has been rectified.
Basils restaurant as usual delivered to a very high standard and could not be faulted.
If your stay goes wrong here for any reason, then please give the management the chance to rectify your problem. We did and did not regret it.

• Stayed September 2012
Forres, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We arrived at the Green Hotel and to our surprise they had a nice Anniversary card waiting for us. Nice touch! The food was excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful, especially in Basil's restaurant. We stayed four nights but had to be moved from our superior room on the third day because the toilet seat broke. Room 39, where we were originally, was very spacious but the bathroom had a dreadful "foosty" smell. The staff tried to eliminate it but to no avail. We spoke to the Manager when we had to move from room 39 and told him that in our opinion there was a leak somewhere out of sight and that the smell was from rotting timbers. Incidentally this smell is discernible on the main stairway. The staff are so used to it I don't think they are aware of it. Anyhow, although we had to move to a smaller room - it was good to get away from that pervasive smell.
There was a wedding on the Saturday night and the noise level was grim. The Sunday night was broken several times by drunk Germans riotously singing- this carried on for hours despite appealing to the night staff. And well what can I say- the last night was punctuated by huge roars from down stairs- as a partisan crowd watched the Andy Murray Final in New York! It wasn't a peaceful stay - but the food was really good, the staff were lovely and the swimming pool was lovely too. I confess we drove over to it, as it was a particularly cold wet spell when we were at the Green Hotel. Lovely swimming pool situated a few hundred yards away at the Windelstrae Hotel.
The windows in both room 39 and room 43 had to be jammed open with telephone directories as the window chords are broken. It looks as if the net curtains in both rooms have not been washed for years by the look of them
All in all we really enjoyed it but we wouldn't hurry back. Too noisy for our liking!

Room Tip: Find out if the bathroom in Room 39 has been fixed to eliminate the "foosty" smell. It'...
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I had lunch in the hotel's Jocks Bar and although the food was average the staff were efficient and friendly so when I went to pay the bill using my debit card I told the staff member to add an extra 10% as a tip. The staff member thanked me but said that tips paid this way were not given to staff by the hotel management. Perhaps the hotel management should indicate on their menus that tips made this way are retained by them, no doubt to be used to pay the staff.
My rating is based purely on the above and not the standard of the hotel facilities

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
livingston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just returned from a very pleasant stay at The Green Hotel with my loved one. Groupon Offer,DBB/bottle of wine in room. The bedroom was very spacious and a lovely view down below to a green lawned courtyard First rate dining in the Basil Restaurant,Very spacious Double room,Great indoor pool across the road at the shared Windelstrae Hotel .Will return to play a round of golf at one of the two courses available 2 minute walk away .We will return

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in may 2012 and gave 4 stars on expedia.com.
Stayed again in september 2012 and now giving it a 5 star plus.
There was an error with the price of my booking with olotel.com who informed the hotel that it was the superior room and dinner package with a bottle of wine. I had booked B&B only which was confirmed with olotel.com with the booking voucher.
The hotel could not believe the low price that I had payed, but honoured the booking, gave me a superior room and a bottle of wine.
This was fantastic customer service and totally unexpected.
The hotel is excellent, the staff, are a credit to the management, this is evident from the reception staff, jocks bar and breakfast staff., cleaners. The leisure facilities are across the road at the sister hotel, but I have still to use them, had a look around looked very impressive, but speaking to other guests, it seems I have missed out on a good thing.
Kinross is an excellent base for touring, I totally recommend this hotel, you will not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Superior room, looking into the court yard
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinross
Windlestrae Hotel
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Salutation Hotel
Salutation Hotel
#6 of 6 in Kinross

Been to The Green Hotel? Share your experiences!