“groupon deal good value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Windlestrae Hotel

Windlestrae Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Kinross
edinburgh
“groupon deal good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We bought a groupon deal 65 quid for b&b Plus a 30 min massage each. We arrived at the Hotel and there Is plenty of parking. We checked in and the staff are friendly.our room was nice spaciousalthough the view.over the carpark was not. Included in our deal was a bottle of wine which got delivered to our room and was lovely. We had a massage each which was nice but only lasted 20 mins when it should have been 30. We Did use the spa but were not impressed it was so busy and the facilities Are dated and Small. One of the most disappointing Spas in a hotel. At night we had our dinner in the restaurant. I had prawn Cocktail and a burger both lovely.we had a couple of drinks in the bar. The brekkie the next morning was lovely.overall a good stay

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blondiemay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I purchased two itison vouchers for bed and breakfast in two rooms for me, my daughter, her Dad and Gran for two nights. We also took our little Dog Rosie. A Westie.

My initial introduction to the Windlestrae was not brilliant as when I tried to book over the phone, all of the dates I wanted were fully booked. I thought this was a bit unusual for the time of year so I went directly on to their website and tried to book online and there was plenty of availability. So I called them back and they told me that certain rooms are allocated to itison voucher holders and that was why it was fully booked. Very disappointed that the Hotel considers voucher purchasers entitled to less availability for booking I made a complaint and was told that I could have the rooms on the dates I required after all. Not the friendliest of introductions and it kind of put me off.

However...

On arrival I didn't have much expectations and I thought the Reception was badly in need of an lick of paint however after going to my room I was very pleasantly surprised. Nice modern bathroom, tea and coffee making facilities, and new furniture (except for the chairs). Big television with freeview. I was very happy with the room.

Lovely gardens and nice walks available within a few minutes drive as well so the location was great for dog walking.

The Bar is lovely and we ate in the Hotel on both the nights we stayed and the food was fantastic. Kids eat free too which was brilliant. We had treatments in the spa which were very good and the treatment rooms were relaxing and calming. The pool, sauna, jacuzzi and steam room were very good too and there are loungers and chairs to relax at the poolside.

I enjoyed many good things about the Windlestrae however I think the best thing about it is the staff. In particular in the restaurant and bar. Greeted with a smile and very friendly, nothing seemed too much trouble.

We do not like to leave our dog in the bedrooms when we are out so were a bit worried about what we would do when we wanted to eat because we couldn't take her into the restaurant.

However we needn't have worried as there is a nice lounge area outside the restaurant where a table was set for us and we received the same service as everyone else. We were so impressed with the food and the service we decided to stay in the hotel on the Saturday night as well as the Friday. Emma in the restaurant provided us wih fantastic service and made sure that we had everything that we needed. The same applied at breakfast time.

So all in all I was very very happy my stay and would definately go back. I would also recommend it for anyone who wants a relaxing weekend in nice surroundings. Great for families with dogs or ladies going for a spa weekend.

Shame about the reception but everything else made up for it.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Just had a cracking break, great value, service was amazing, 2 golf courses close by, spa on site, epic breakfast and leisure facilities included in price. What more do you need?

Just a couple of negatives, due to the rain one of the golf courses had closed and the other was heavily waterlogged but we still got a round in. Tried to book a nail appointment for my girlfriend at the beauty salon but it was fully booked (book in advance!!). Even though the breakfast was fantastic we ate in the same restaurant at night and the food wasn't great.

All in all we had a great time and the negatives aren't really the hotels fault I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet break.

• Stayed October 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel is good value for money albeit a little "frayed at the edges" in places. I understand that the hotel is undergoing planned refurbishment of the bedrooms, some of which have been completed - unfortunately we were not in one of the refurbished rooms.The staff are friendly and the rooms spacious and clean with trouser press, hairdryer, tea & coffee making facilities and a plasma television. The WiFi is intermittent.

The food is good, especially the breakfast which is self service with an extensive choice.

Golf is available atconcessionary rates with a choice of two courses at the nearby Kinross Golf Club.

Room Tip: ASk for one of the refurbished rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
antwerp
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed in one of the newly refurbished rooms,very nice.Room 326,two 'quirky' remarks,bed a bit on the small size.A standard double bed has been placed in a spacing for a king-size bed,and the sink tap is located at the extreme right-hand side of the sink,making it almost impossible to wash your hands without the water spilling over the side.Reception very friendly and helpfull.Took one star off for the 'wi-fi'.The hotel advertises wi-fi overall,but in the 4 day stay I had there,it was not functioning in the rooms,and even when I tried in the proximity of reception,I had limited access to internet.I sometimes received my emails,but was never able to send any.surely that can be cured over a 4 day period.Totally unacceptable for business clients;

Montrose, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Had an excellent stay here with the family albeit only the one night . Friendly staff and good food. Leisure facilities were very clean and the kids had a great time. Rooms could do with a bit updating but were very clean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alan C
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We booked our break through " It Is On" and got a great deal to start with, but the staff at the Windlestrae made it perfect. We booked in at reception with Vonnie who was a delight and gave us a free upgrade to a room with a four poster bed at no extra charge. I had upgraded my spa treatment also, but was charged a minimal payment. If there was any small problems with the room they were dealt with efficiently and speedilly. We ate in Monty's on our first night, and apart from the food being excellent the staff were so helpfull and cheery. In the morning we had the same staff for breakfast, and they were still ultra efficient and so helpfull, nothing was a problem for them. Kinross it's self is a quaint welcoming town, and we would recomend The Muir Inn for a delicious home cooked meal, and warm hospitable service. On the whole a great short break and would recomend it wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: Room 304 very spacious, clean, airy and huge very comfy bed with lovely view
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinross
The Green Hotel
The Famous Bein Inn
#1 of 1 in Glenfarg
Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Keavil House Hotel Dunfermline

Been to Windlestrae Hotel? Share your experiences!