“Amazing amazing amazing!!”

Northern Lights Holistic Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Northern Lights Holistic Spa is Shetland's only residential purpose built Spa and is indeed the UK's most northerly. It is located on the small island of Bressay which is just 5 minutes away, by ferry, from Lerwick. Facilities include, Sauna, Steam Room, Hydro Spa, Infrared Detox Sauna, Floatation suite, plus a complete range of complementary therapies. Our accommodation comprises of four well appointed rooms, all with en-suite facilities.
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Truly amazing! Highly recommend the hot stone massage and the complete detox is great too! Food is always spot on and brilliant hosts who even collected us from the ferry!! Can't wait to return!!!

4  Thank rosehearts

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Six of us (three couples) had an overnight at NLHS on a windy February night. It was truly excellent.
We enjoyed the short ferry ride from town and were met by Paul, (the Mr in this Mr & Mrs owned Spa) who took our party up to the Spa from the ferry terminal. He was very polite and punctual, and even helped with our weekend bags.

Vee (Mrs Spa) met us at the door and was so warm and friendly, and once introductions were out of the way she took us to our rooms and gave us each a bit of information about the set-up.
Within 15 minutes we were down in the Spa room swimwear on and ready to relax. Paul and Vee were there to guide us through the Sauna, Steam room and then to help you climb in to the hot tub for a final ‘chill’. Two of our group went for massages (One 'Hot Stone Massage' and one 'regular' massage – highly recommended) while the two other ladies in our party headed to our rooms to get ready for dinner, our men folks stayed in the hot tub for a while longer. We all met back in the comfortable sitting room.
When dinner was ready Vee came through to invite us to the beautiful dining room. The table is really big so there is no issue with being squashed up against your fellow diners. The food was exceptionally good, a tasty soup with homemade focacia for start, a choice of Sea Bass, Pork Medallions or Bulgar Wheat Layered with roast veg and all served with a good selection of very tasty and perfectly presented vegetables. Vee kept our glasses filled throughout the night which shows an excellent attention to detail, she was attentive but very subtle so you hardly realised she was there, but at the same time she seemed to be available whenever you needed anything. A real skill, and a joy when you have been all too often ignored by poor waiting staff at so many other eateries.
Desert was a perfect finish to the meal with a soft and fluffy pistachio sponge accompanied by whipped cream and delicious vanilla ice-cream. We were all left with totally clean plates but felt that we had all eaten exactly enough food for the evening. Coffee with homemade biscuits was a real touch of class and again superb attention to detail.

We retired to the sitting room and settled in for a night of hilarity with good friends; again Paul and Vee were very attentive but totally unobtrusive and a late and very good night was had by all of us.
The bedrooms are all decorated in welcoming colours - not a spot of magnolia in sight, and the beds are incredibly comfortable. The room amenities are as you would wish for with hairdryer, which was better than my one at home, refreshments, fantastic power shower, good quality toiletries, plenty of towels. Nothing was amiss. I am sure that if there was anything that you could think of that you would want that was not already there Paul & Vee would get it for you! With only Four rooms you can get a real feel of personal service and 'please feel at home'. The carpets are thick and I didn't have my shoes on the whole time I was there - it was lovely to pad about with sock feet.

We were delighted to be able to lazily come down for breakfast at 9am, which was served with the same class as dinner and scoffed by all; cereal, warm Danish, toast, homemade banana loaf, good quality fruit juices, endless fresh tea and coffee and a real relaxed atmosphere. We had an unrushed morning leaving for the 10.30 ferry back to the mainland and reality.
We then spent the next couple of hours saying how good our night was and how lovely the hosting and venue were. We WILL DEFINATELY be back, all we need is a vague excuse!

3  Thank Fiona N
Reviewed September 17, 2010

On a recent business trip to Lerwick, a colleage recemmended avoiding the 70's themed hotels in Lerwick at taking the 7 minute ferry ride to Bressay to say in the Norther Lights Spa. I am glas I listed to her advice.

The guest bedrooms were beautiful, the bed comfy and he hospitality of the owners fabulous. The owner is also a very talanted chef - so make sure you stay for dinner. Again I was told it is by far the best qualtiy food in the area.

When you get to the ferry - simply phone the owner and he will come and pick you up from the ferry terminal on Bressay and take you back in the morning.

1  Thank hazey101
Reviewed July 22, 2010

This small spa is beautiful and set in a stunning location. The food was delicious and original, and the hot stone massage (£35) superb and excellent value. The 270 degree view from our gorgeous spotless bedroom was outstanding. There is no view from the spa suite itself, but there is a sheltered outdoor courtyard area with seating from which you can admire the scenery after your soak in the hot-tub. The owners were lovely (english, but have spent much time running various businesses in Shetland as well as travelling extensively). We found it very peaceful - almost too peaceful at times, I think we were the only people staying. We stayed 2 nights as part of a 14 day tour of Shetland (our honeymoon) which was probably long enough for us as it wasn't cheap (evening meal good value at £30, but drinks expensive at £5.50 for a bottle of beer) and its location on the island of Bressay makes it less ideal as a fixed base for exploring Shetland. We were hoping to visit Noss but the Noss ferry was closed due to "bad weather" (we didn't think the weather was bad - phone the 0800 helpline to check) However our disappointment was short-lived as the birdlife on Bressay was fantastic. Overall, a first class stay and highly recommended.

1  Thank DnNLeeds
See more reviews
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Bressay has a lot to offer nature loversandThe Northern Lights Spa has a lot to offer if you want quality service in a beautiful location.
I could'nt believe how sweet the air smelt as I stepped off the plane in Shetland.As an asthmatic I notice these things.
The whole Shetlamd experience is amazing with wonderful light for photos, an amazing selection of wildlife, and a population that is naturally friendly.
The cream on top of this all was the Northern Lights Spa. We visited in summer so the sun never set.I could see the sheep in the field out side my window at 3 a.m.They kindly did'nt start bleating until 6 a.m.I was in awe of it all.No noise but the sheep and the song of birds.
Vee and Paul will do all they can to make your stay enjoyable.The dinners are really special.The fish is fresh and the presentation is a piece of art.No surprise then that Paul is a first class chef.
If you want a therapy then you will get the best.
I intend going back again.And when I returned to Cardiff I felt I had left behind an Island where I would want to live.Within 24 hours my asthmatic cough had returned from breathing our City fumey air..It will suffice though to return to Shetland for a break--and I won't be staying any where else but the Northern Lights Spa.

2  Thank dottyandmary