“It's hard to imagine a better place to stay if you want to be at the heart of Lerwick”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lerwick
Fort Charlotte Guest House
Ranked #2 of 12 Lerwick B&B and Inns
Scotland
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Clean and cosy, informal and friendly with lots of useful local knowledge.
Delicious breakfasts.
Storage for cycles provided (I would guess a maximum of three or so).
A central location in a lovely stone terraced house on the traffic-free main shopping street.
We did not have a car so we cannot comment on ease of access for drivers.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room for a charming rooftop view of Lerwick and Bressay, but the stairs are stee...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Truly superb hospitality from Jim and Lynne, who really do go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that guests have a warm welcome. I really valued Jim's insight into the best places to visit during our stay, and life in the Shetland Islands in general, and the help they extended to us when our bags were delayed on their way from Aberdeen really was exceptional.

The rooms were comfortable and well appointed, the location convenient for exploring the area and the breakfasts set us up perfectly to explore the islands. I hope to be back soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tomtiredoflondon
Stromness, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Centrally located in Lerwick. Clean and comfortable. Excellent cooked breakfasts. Very reasonable rates. Friendly - just a great place to stay. It was my first trip to Shetland and this made it even more enjoyable. Your room has everything you need.

Room Tip: I had a single room and it was just what I needed
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Fiona G
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I found this guest house on Trip Advisor and it more than lived up to the glowing reviews. My room was immaculate, the breakfasts were brilliant, but the really special thing is the couple that own and run this guesthouse. They bend over backwards to ensure you get the most out of your time in Shetland and pay every attention to detail to make sure their guesthouse stands out from the rest - from fresh flowers on the breakfast table to Easter eggs on Easter Sunday. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I spend much of my working life in hotels and bed and breakfast establishments all over the world and this was one of the best experiences I have had: well situated, immaculately clean, well appointed, comfortable, very friendly, excellent breakfasts, nothing too much trouble. I would recommend it without reservation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John G
Thomson, Georgia, United States
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I spend far more time in hotel rooms than I do my own home so I get to see it all - from super luxury to "OMG don't touch the comforter!" Fort Charlotte Guest House is by far one of the best experiences I've ever had. It was perfect, comfortable, and felt more like home than a hotel.

First, it is located right in the heart of Lerwick with everything within walking distance. Since we were there for Up Helly Aa the location gave us easy access to everything.

Most important are the owners, Lynn and Jim. They make the place. Kind, caring, fun, and so eager to teach us about the Shetlands. They even gave us dance lessons so we would know what to do when we got to the halls for the Up Helly Aa celebrations.

And Breakfast. Wow. Served to order (even though I sacrilegiously insisted on salmon and bacon) just like your mom would make at home. I looked forward to going downstairs each morning.

We will be back and I enthusiastically recommend the Fort Charlotte Guest House if you are considering a trip to Lerwick and the Shetland Islands.

PS. Be sure to visit Jim's Fish and Chip shop across the way. His fried sausages will make your toes curl.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeb B
Edinburgh
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed just one night whilst visiting Lerwick for work, and can thoroughly recommend Fort Charlotte. My double room was spacious, immaculately decorated and presented, and very comfortable. Breakfast was freshly cooked and tasty, with Lynn and Jim on hand to chat to - a really friendly way to start the day!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank rebecca_hazel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lerwick
The Lerwick Hotel
#1 of 1 in Scalloway
Busta House Hotel
Busta House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Busta

Been to Fort Charlotte Guest House? Share your experiences!