“Almost great.”
Review of Lynnfield Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
Lynnfield Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

We booked a suite on an offer which included dinner.
Our room was absolutely lovely, the bathroom was beautiful and the lounge enjoyed views over Kirkwall.
A childs bed and travel cot were kindly provided and our own bed was enormous.
Our little ones and ourselves were welcomed in the restaurant and a highchair was provided.
The food was absolutely lovely and some of the best value we've enjoyed in Orkney so far.
Breakfast was also very nice and we found the owners pleasant and quite friendly when we spoke to them.
The only minor points which let the hotel down were an untidy entrance way and staff that could have been just a little more knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Overall, a good, almost great night out. A little expensive for us to stay regularly but we definitely plan to eat here again soon.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Bex R
There are newer reviews for Lynnfield Hotel

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have stayed in this Hotel as I had a great stay in the owner´s previous hotel on Westray and when looking for a place to stay in Kirkwall I had found Lynnfield hotel by accident. As in the other Hotel, comfort and Service have been great. Very cosy lounge and good Food, a nice room with a view to the sea. I would definitely go there again. Very helpfull staff, too !!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Angela196942
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Was taken here for dinner otherwise I would have complained. There was no warm welcome from the staff although the lounge and restaurant atmosphere was good. The food was terrible. Baked figs for starters were bitter. Main course of lamb with Parmesan risotto and wilted spinach was a joke. Two small bits of lamb with nothing like a risotto, just two quenelle shapes of rice. The wilted spinach was a pile of baby spinach leaves placed on the top of the dish. I will not return here by choice. Over priced for what they are offering.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Eanne M
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I travel to Orkney regularly and usually at short notice. The Lynnfield is my favourite place to stay in Kirkwall. It's got many regulars and so it's worth making sure you book well in advance if you can. Each bedroom has it's own character and all have clean, modern and well appointed bathrooms.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Craig B
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Located on the outskirts of Kirkwall the Lynnfield offers comfortable accommodation and good food. Bedrooms are spacious, clean and very comfortable with all the expected amenities. Public rooms are a little cluttered with an eclectic mix of furniture and whisky related memorabilia. The restaurant seems to specialise in seafood with a good range of fish dishes plus a couple of meat / vegetarian options too. Service is professional, friendly and efficient. Breakfasts are excellent with a wide menu and quick service. All in all the Lynnfield delivers what it promises. Well worth a visit.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Munro-Phil
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed one night in a bit room with a view to the front of the hotel and over Kirkwall. Room had 'ye olde' character about it and lacked for nothing in terms of hotel 'extras'. Bathroom was modern clean, bright and had a powerful fan so there was no danger of it becoming a steam room. Very efficient radiators which was a plus point.

Food in the restaurant was a high standard and the staff who served friendly and pleasant. My experience of the Lynnfield was very positive and I liked the old style lounge, clocks, books etc. Despite the organised clutter, the place seemed dust free which was a feat in itself. Whisky drinkers unlikely to run short.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Scottyland
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We did not choose this hotel; it was booked for us by Wildabout Orkney as part of our six-day tour. They did an excellent job. What a warm and inviting place!

Our room was large with lovely wooden furniture. And what a nice touch--two small decanters, one of whisky and one of wine, greeted us in our room.

We loved the hotel's decor. My husband and I have traveled the Bourbon Trail in Kentucky and made the pilgrimage to Lynchburg, Tennessee, so to be surrounded by over 300 bottles of whisky was to be enveloped in amber. What a great marketing ploy AND decorating idea! The entire place was decorated with items you could find in a distillery, which was a fun touch.

We also appreciated that we were just up the hill from the Highland Park distillery, so it was within easy walking distance.

The staff were very helpful and pleasant. We ate at the restaurant both nights and had delicious meals. I'm a chocoholic, so to say I ordered the sticky toffee pudding two nights in a row is really saying something.

Our second night, we actually had to leave to take the late ferry, and they graciously allowed us to sit in their homey lounge for hours as we waited.

For me, the real measure of their hospitality and helpfulness came several weeks later. While there, we enjoyed the custom of sitting in the lounge having drinks and ordering our dinner before moving to the table. One night they brought a small pitcher and dropper so my husband could precisely add just the right amount of water to his whisky. It was very cool, and I decided I wanted to buy a similar set for him for his birthday.

When we got home, I wrote to the hotel, not really expecting an answer, but they took the time to tell me where they had purchased the pitcher and dropper. That was really going the extra mile. We loved our trip to the Orkney Islands, and the Lynnfield was the perfect home base for us while we were there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank VNE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#6 of 9 in Kirkwall
The Orkney Hotel
The Orkney Hotel
#5 of 9 in Kirkwall

Been to Lynnfield Hotel? Share your experiences!