“A very good option.”
Review of Lynnfield Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
Lynnfield Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
Dunblane, United Kingdom
“A very good option.”
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Located on the outskirts of Kirkwall the Lynnfield offers comfortable accommodation and good food. Bedrooms are spacious, clean and very comfortable with all the expected amenities. Public rooms are a little cluttered with an eclectic mix of furniture and whisky related memorabilia. The restaurant seems to specialise in seafood with a good range of fish dishes plus a couple of meat / vegetarian options too. Service is professional, friendly and efficient. Breakfasts are excellent with a wide menu and quick service. All in all the Lynnfield delivers what it promises. Well worth a visit.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Munro-Phil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed one night in a bit room with a view to the front of the hotel and over Kirkwall. Room had 'ye olde' character about it and lacked for nothing in terms of hotel 'extras'. Bathroom was modern clean, bright and had a powerful fan so there was no danger of it becoming a steam room. Very efficient radiators which was a plus point.

Food in the restaurant was a high standard and the staff who served friendly and pleasant. My experience of the Lynnfield was very positive and I liked the old style lounge, clocks, books etc. Despite the organised clutter, the place seemed dust free which was a feat in itself. Whisky drinkers unlikely to run short.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Scottyland
West Michigan
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We did not choose this hotel; it was booked for us by Wildabout Orkney as part of our six-day tour. They did an excellent job. What a warm and inviting place!

Our room was large with lovely wooden furniture. And what a nice touch--two small decanters, one of whisky and one of wine, greeted us in our room.

We loved the hotel's decor. My husband and I have traveled the Bourbon Trail in Kentucky and made the pilgrimage to Lynchburg, Tennessee, so to be surrounded by over 300 bottles of whisky was to be enveloped in amber. What a great marketing ploy AND decorating idea! The entire place was decorated with items you could find in a distillery, which was a fun touch.

We also appreciated that we were just up the hill from the Highland Park distillery, so it was within easy walking distance.

The staff were very helpful and pleasant. We ate at the restaurant both nights and had delicious meals. I'm a chocoholic, so to say I ordered the sticky toffee pudding two nights in a row is really saying something.

Our second night, we actually had to leave to take the late ferry, and they graciously allowed us to sit in their homey lounge for hours as we waited.

For me, the real measure of their hospitality and helpfulness came several weeks later. While there, we enjoyed the custom of sitting in the lounge having drinks and ordering our dinner before moving to the table. One night they brought a small pitcher and dropper so my husband could precisely add just the right amount of water to his whisky. It was very cool, and I decided I wanted to buy a similar set for him for his birthday.

When we got home, I wrote to the hotel, not really expecting an answer, but they took the time to tell me where they had purchased the pitcher and dropper. That was really going the extra mile. We loved our trip to the Orkney Islands, and the Lynnfield was the perfect home base for us while we were there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VNE
Scotland
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Now becoming a regular here with work. Again staff were superb, food was out of this world, service was second to none. Overall a fabulous place to stay. Recently refurbished bathrooms - very nice! and mixed with the older style bedrooms means I really like this place. Has excellent character. Bar contains more types of whisky than you will ever need!

Room Tip: All have their own character
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DrDaveScotland
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for work and was very pleased. The room was beautiful and felt very home. We enjoyed an excellent dinner - first class food with good service. Im really surprised its ranked 4th as certainly better than some of the one higher up the list.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jare_40
kidderminster
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife and I were recommended to go to The Lynnfield by the owner of the guest house where we were staying. When we arrived we were shown into a lounge full of furniture you might expect to find in a rather poorly run old people's home. When I entered I thought I must have grown an extra head as the rather aged residents all stopped talking and turned to stare.
After waiting a considerable time for someone to bring a menu we were approached by a pleasant young woman who took a drinks order but apologized that it might take some time to arrive as she wasn't allowed to pour them as she was too young.
We eventually got to the table in a restaurant with the most alarming array of tables and, from what was explained, a large display of equipment from a distillery. There seemed to be a surplus of chairs as there was a large collection of them collected in a group and not allocated to tables. They just sat there disconsolate and unused.
We ordered salmon which was pleasant enough but my wife's was a scraggy tail and very small. She pointed this out and some considerable time later, when I had already finished eating, another full portion arrived.
As for the serving staff, we were served by one of the young girls who had taken our order in the old people's home, she was pleasant enough but didn't really know her job and was very poorly trained.
The meal wasn't cheap and we came away not knowing whether to cry or laugh at the experience. We saw Basil, or whatever his name was, on leaving fawning, over some of his guests. Did I see him wringing his hands?
We had four further dinners that week at The Kirkwall Hotel which was just great.
I studied hotel administration at The Scottish Hotel School and was a hotelier for forty years. I can't remember having such a poor dining experience so, in the end, we decided to have a laugh about it.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank christopher d
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at the Lynnfield for two nights and were very happy with our room and beautiful en suite. The evening meals were super and breakfast really good. The hotel has lots of character but is perhaps a little over furnished! There were so many chairs (including the famous 'Orkney' ones) in the lounge it was difficult to decide where to sit!! The staff were helpful without being too familiar and always ready to advise on places to go if required. The restaurant was always full - but never loud and rowdy! - so word has got round that the food is great. We did enjoy our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Su3611
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#8 of 9 in Kirkwall
Stromness Hotel
Stromness Hotel
#1 of 2 in Stromness

Been to Lynnfield Hotel? Share your experiences!