“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lynnfield Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
Lynnfield Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
uk
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

The rooms and the hotel are very nice . and the location is ideal for seeing the island and is right next to the Highland park distillery. The hotel has a good whisky bar and we ate in the restaurant one nite of your stay. We thought the food was good but it is expensive (about £40 each with drinks) . The only down side to are stay would be that in the evenings the hotel is centred around the restaurant and the owner seamed a little stressed and was more concerned about looking after the restaurant then looking after hotel guests. I would stay here again and would recommend the hotel but would eat out in kirkwall.

Room Tip: Eat out if you dont want to spend £40+ per head on a meal
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gary7890

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
County Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have stayed in hotels all over the world and would rate this amongst the best of the family-run small or boutique hotels we have visited. The cuisine is excellent and on each of our five nights there was something new to try from a variety of the best local foods. The room and bath were large and well-appointed and the staff were highly professional.

It is a perfect place from which to explore Orkney and the islands

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
morgantown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Enjoyed our 3 night stay at this hotel, it was a treat to have a room with a jacuzzi. The room was very nice to relax in, clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were very good, good portions and the porridge with whisky and honey was very good! A very good place to have dinner also. Easy walk to Highland Park distillery

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed in the brilliant Lynnfield hotel June 2012 for 2 nights on business.I was absolutely blown away by the hotel and felt more like I was on holiday! The interior of the hotel is warm and welcoming as were the staff, but it was my room/suite that really made my stay. The views were beautiful, the living area palacios, the bathroom and jacuzzi a really great surprise and the 4 poster bed luxurious and comfortable. I decided to have room service as I was enjoying living in the lap of luxury deciding whether to watch TV in my living room or lounge. The food mas 10/10, a perfectly cooked steak and lots of veg all arrived piping hot and delicious. I enjoyed breakfast in the downstairs lounge, again, delicious and well presented.
I am due back to Kirkwall again on business soon and without doubt I will be staying in The Lynnfield hotel again but maybe with an extra day added to enjoy Orkney a little longer.

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the rooms looking out of front window.
Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Leigh M
Tutbury, null, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

My wife and I visited for a meal Friday 27th on the strength of local recommendation.

House wines (the Chilean red and white) were excellent. The fudge and shortbread "sweeties" with coffee were also excellent. Service was good, personal and attentive.

The menu looked impressive; good range of interesting and attractive dishes.

My wife had the seafood plate followed by the halibut/bacon risotto. She had no complaints, but wasn't particularly impressed.

I had the duck/apple/walnut salad followed by the Ronaldsay Lamb/Mutton.

In my view the duck was well overcooked (not a hint of pink and a slight taste of beef liver): the rest of the salad (thinly sliced apple, walnut pieces, lettuce, squiggle of pomegranate sauce) was uninspired.

The lamb/mutton was (again in my view) well overcooked. Opinions differ on the cooking of sheep: many believe mutton is better well done. That may therefore have been the chef's intent.

The menu records that the stuffing was prune and leek. I had forgotten, and couldn't work it out from the flavour. Could have been suet pudding.

The "natural jus reduction" was on the point of setting, on a cold plate. Very 1970s school gravy.

I ate the food, paid for it and left. I regret this: in future I'll gird my self-confidence and make my observations directly to the maitre d'. My wife and I have tested our consciences, whether we're being fussy and picky. But we couldn't let this pass. September last year on Skye we ate four outstanding meals without making any special efforts to track down good places. Likewise, we ate extremely well at the Merkister Hotel last week. And for 30GBP we fed three at the Seaforth in Ullapool on Saturday and the fish was better than at the Lynnfield.

Hopefully this was a one-off.

Ian, Burton on Trent

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Ian F
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We arrived late at the hotel from the Aberdeen ferry and were warmly welcomed by Malcolm, the proprietor, who throughout our 5 days there made every effort to make our stay memorable. Our room was huge and very comfortable and the bathroom also enormous and extremely well appointed - including wonderful jacuzzi bath. The food was excellent, as testified by the number of local people who clearly frequent the restaurant and the service impeccable, good humoured, personal and efficient. Staying at this hotel was not just a base for our enchanting visit to Orkney (including Malcolm's justifiably beloved Westray), it was an important part of the holiday in itself and a wonderful place to return to after a day's sightseeing. We loved it here and will return!

Room Tip: We stayed in the extremely comfortable Tammie Norrie (puffin) room; huge room with enormous and very...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Measham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We really loved the decor of this hotel. Our room was very clean and had everything we needed.The breakfast was really good and drinks in the quaint little bar were very relaxing after a day out. We were located right up the hill from the Highland Park distillery.only about a 5 minute walk. The only dissapointment I would say was dinner there. Very overpriced I felt. I was very dissapointed with my dinner coming as a completely cold plate of seafood I could not even finish eating , hard as I tried. When I did tell the waitress nothing was done to compensate me in any way. For such a high price it really brought me down after such a previously nice day. I was given the bill to pay without even an apoligy for my being unhappy with the food. This is my reason for 3* rating instead of the 5* I would have given otherwise. Everything else was very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front for a view of the harbour downtown and beautiful sunrise and sunsets.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank rredrose126
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#8 of 9 in Kirkwall
Sands Hotel
Sands Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burray Village

Been to Lynnfield Hotel? Share your experiences!