“Should have stayed for longer!”
Review of Lynnfield Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
Lynnfield Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed 4 nights in August on our way to Shetland. Room was spacious, the bathroom was massive and we appreciated the four poster bed. The small decanters of Highland Park scotch (distillery next door!) and local wine were a lovely touch. The staff and manager/owner, Malcolm, were all very helpful and friendly. Lovely people who all went that extra mile. Helped us out when we had a transport problem which we are eternally grateful for. The food was all excellent, well presented and it was good to see an emphasis on local Orcadian fare. Had the best steak in my life at this hotel. Bit of a walk into town but taxis are cheap! Our only negative point was the lack of water pressure in the bathroom. We certainly left feeling cared for and rested. All part of the warm Orcadian welcome.Will return one day and stay for longer.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 31, 2011

This hotel is one of the best I have stayed in and I have been in many all over the world.I stayed at the Lynnfield over the weekend and would definitely not agree with the reviews that gave this hotel a poor rating.It was the second time I had stayed in a year.The rooms are beautiful-many have four poster beds with great linen.The bathrooms are enourmous with underfloor heating,lovely toiletries,great towels and showers.The food is locally sourced and cooked incredibly well.Malcolm and his team make you very very welcome from the off.They have a fine selection of whiskeys and wines and are very happy to extend a very great welcome.
This may not be in a beautiful setting and not a fancy new building or indeed a period house.But the minute you walk in the door you feel (or should!) like you have made the right choice.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2011

A group of 14 of us with 7 classic cars stayed at the Lynnfield for 4 nights while we explored the wonders of Orkney. The rooms were spacious and spotless, with warm and well-equipped bathrooms likewise spotless.

The breakfasts and dinners were excellent, with a good variety of choices, quality ingredients well prepared, and good service too. On our third night we decided to eat out in Kirkwall for a change but we soon wished we had 'stayed put' instead.

Mine host Malcolm was very helpful in terms of recommending where to visit, and for the diehards his informal late evening whisky tastings were highly entertaining and very worthwhile.

Given the size of our group and the fact that I had block-booked many months in advance we did not pay the 'rack rate' for the rooms - which is quite high - but quality does cost money, and the Lynnfield is definitely a quality hotel. My wife and I definitely want to go back sometime in the future.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Popped into the Lynnfield last week at 2.30pm to enquire whether or not it was possible for a spot of lunch.

The member of staff laughed at me whilst telling me that they stop serving at 1.45pm

I thought this type of service had died out in Scotland.

Obviously not in Orkney.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank EdInsider
Reviewed October 1, 2011

The hotel is situated on the edge of Kirkwall, a stone's throw from the Highland Park distillery (which is definitely worth a visit). Whilst being fairly ordinary from the outside, the inside has been decorated and furnished to replicate a comfortable old country house hotel, and this works very well. The staff were very friendly and welcoming.

We paid a bit extra for a suite which gave us a huge bedroom with large well equipped modern bathroom (including a whirlpool bath), a separate lounge with a bookcase of interesting books, and fine views across Kirkwall. A nice touch was the provision of a large dram of Highland Park whisky and also Orkney blackberry wine on the coffee table when we arrived.

The excellent dinner and breakfast were served in the comfortable restaurant, and the huge collection of whiskies offered the chance to try lots of different old aged drams.

Overall, fantastic value, and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a suite.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank QuoVadis2008
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed here with some friends and had a great time,The very well stocked whiskybar,the marvelous food and really nextdoor to the Highland park distillery,The rooms are very nice and clean
I am already looking forward to my next stay

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 12, 2011

An entire family group stayed at the Lynnfield for four nights for a wedding. The rooms were great. The food was great. The staff was great. The owner, Malcolm, has a marvelous Scotch library. He did a tasting for us in which I asked for stuff I was unlikely to find in the States, and he came up with stuff I was unlikely to find anywhere. Plus the hotel is very close to Highland Park distillery if you develop the taste for a souvenir. Finally, Malcolm made a great cog with the recipe provided by Moira, the wedding planner, whom I also recommend for that purpose.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank aikido4d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#5 of 9 in Kirkwall
Albert Hotel
Albert Hotel
#7 of 9 in Kirkwall

Been to Lynnfield Hotel? Share your experiences!