“Abraham Somers”
Review of Bon Accord

Bon Accord
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
Bon Accord
Ranked #17 of 26 Kirkwall B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Abraham Somers”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am an English teenager who stayed for one week with the Norquay's with my Dad and we both found the couple to be very friendly. The breakfasts are of high quality and the rooms are well maintained. It has a very friendly atmosphere and both Margaret and Magnus are people who would be willing to give up their time to go the extra mile to provide a good service.

Room Tip: Room 3 was very good and it was well maintained every day by the cleaner.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank AbrahamSomers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bo'ness
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was asked to use this B&B by my customer on Orkney as it is just up the road from their site. I found it to be a very clean and nice B&B with some nice touches. I had the downstairs double bed room with en-suite and it was very comfortable. It had all the normal extras plus a continental plug for foreign visitors, which I thought was excellent, nice chocolate biscuits for your cuppa (one of my favourites). As I read other reviews before I came here, and yes you order your breakfast early on I find this no real problem as I stick to the same thing most times I am away. Good B&B in the far north, will be back again when I am not working with my good lady :)

Room Tip: An excellent B&B I like fresh air and while my room was on the main road I rarely hear the traff...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank cct001
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Margaret and her husband are lovely hosts, who keep this cute place impeccably clean and make a tasty and generous breakfast. The room we had was cosy and well equipped, nice and airy, with a modern shower, fast wifi, a flat screen TV and a loo that flushes with aplomb. Apparently some people have complained about it lacking modernity, perhaps they mean they don't get sushi for breakfast or off-the-shelf painted-wall-ikea-polished-floor postmodern blabla. There's none of that here, it's cute, it has real wallpaper and the owners are hard-working folk from the real world who do a great job at making their guests feel welcome. I would suggest people who expect otherwise should probably steer clear of the Orkneys anyhow.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris B
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My family (four adults) took the two twin rooms at the top of the stairs for three nights in June. Twin beds pressed against opposite sides of the room had the feel of a Draylon-loving 70s bedsit, or something out of On The Buses. But the ensuite bathroom was pleasantly large and the shower powerful and spacious. Breakfast (to be ordered the moment you check in) was delicious and frighteningly punctual. However, having assigned seating at the large breakfast table (because the landlady says she is easily confused) was a quirk too far. The location is good for walking into town, and parking on the slab in front could not be more convenient.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Crabbus
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2011

We had the front room and the street light penetrated through the curtains. We found the room extremely cramped and the ensuite minute. If you wished to boil the kettle whilst re-charging your electrical appliances, you had to unplug the extension to the bedside lamps. A dated and akward room with uncomfortable beds and pillows. An adequate breakfast but for 70 pounds per night sub standard.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SydneyTravellers2
tyne & wear
Reviewed August 31, 2009

myself and 2 friends were on orkney for a camping weekend but due to weather booked into this guest house for 1 night.we just turned up dripping wet.we got a room with a double bed thats all they had but a camp bed was put up for me.this made the room more cramped but we managed.no en suite.very little hanging space for our bike gear.
we filled our orders for breakfast,signed in had a chat took minutes then we were off for a beer and a meal.
the owners allowed us to take our bikes across thr lawn to park them safe at the side of the guest house.noticed the list of do's and don'ts but we were under no pressure to be on time for breakfast or time to leave.we thought that 29 quid was steep for myself as i was on a campbed but it was better than the tent.breakfast was spot on we all struggled to finish.would stay again a handy location on main road out to the barriers

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank BryanEthel
Somewhere in England
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Looked a fine house and we were greeted by the owner on arrival and shown to our room on the top floor. The first thing we had to do was fill in a card for breakfast with what we wanted and when we would like it and we were told to be on time. Well the room looked fine but when I tried to open the bedside drawers I could not and on investigation I found that the runners were broken, one drawer even had some cigarette debris in it – strictly non smoking was one of the many rules in the list of rules on the wall, ‘absolutely no food’ was another. The breakfast was on time as were we and it was quite good. While this was a decent place to stay I thought that the list of rules, strict times for breakfast and having to order the night before was a bit fussy. All in all it just seemed a bit odd.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends