“Traditional Scottish hotel and hospitality”
Review of The Orkney Hotel

The Orkney Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
Sydney, Australia
“Traditional Scottish hotel and hospitality”
Reviewed September 23, 2010

As part of a touring holiday around Scotland for my husband's 50th birthday we decided to take the ferry over to Orkney for a couple of nights. It was the shoulder season so we hadn't booked in advance and ended up ringing the Orkney Hotel around 6pm to see if they had any rooms available. I had done a little research on Trip Advisor before we left home so we had a bit of an idea on suitable hotels. The receptionist said they did indeed have a room available and as a last minute deal she was able to upgrade us to what they called their Junior Suite at the standard price for 2 nights. The hotel is in a very narrow old one-way street (which is actually a semi main shopping street). After arriving reasonbly late (8pm) and going inside we were warmly greeted and told about their rear carpark. The friendly receptionist also said that the restaurant was closed, but she would ask the kitchen in the lounge bar to stay open for us which was appreciated.
As is often the case with these old hotels, you go up and down a number of staircases and wind around a couple of different corridors to get to your room. The only drawback was that there was no lift and my husband had to lug our two huge suitcases up.
Our room was very pleasant and spacioius with a four poster bed and a full sized spa bath with shower over. I must say though that it was what I would expect for a standard hotel room, and if it was the suite I would hate to see the standard room. The room had opening windows out to the rear of the property and was very quiet and the bed was very comfortable. We had breakfast over the next two days in their restaurant which was included in the rate. There was pretty standard fayre such as fruit, cereals and yoghurts to help yourself to, and then you ordered an a la carte cooked breakfast which was quite satsifactory. The room was bright and sunny and overlooking a garden and traditionally furnished.
The receptionist also organised overnight laundering of our clothes which was appreciated. All in all a very comfortable stay in a tradtional hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
York, UK
Reviewed September 14, 2010

A friend and I stayed one night at the Orkney hotel, and we both wished it could have been a longer stay! Our ferry arrived very late at night and the hotel accommodated this (it was past midnight) and even offered a slight discount since we were not staying an entire day (we did book in advance). If you enjoy really old buildings (and I do), this one is fantastic and has a great atmosphere! And the beds were comfy and the room was clean. Breakfast was excellent. My friend forgot her i-pod at the hotel and before we even realized it had been left, the staff had contacted us to let us know they had found it. If I ever have the chance to return to Kirkwall (and could afford it...I am a budget traveler currently, which is the only reason we only spent one night here...we moved on to a guest house afterwards)...I would want to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2010

On a short break to take in the inspiring archaeology, stunning landscapes and the Islands' wildlife, taking us out and about for most of the day/evening, it may not matter that your hotel is dull and you wouldn't want to spend any waking time in it. However, Orkney Hotel owners/management need to improve a whole range of basics or those 3 stars from Visit Scotland will look very marginal, especially at the inflated price for B&B. Staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel - dull - the outside facade resembles a down and outs' hostel. The difference between a dire public bar and the lounge bar seems to be carpet mainly. Our room was dull and bathroom/shower definitely not up to par with price - hot water temp on low side for shower past its sell by date. Don't accept Room 101 ( no joke intended) but the adjacent shower room/loo is used by staff finishing work late on - noisy, damp, unserviced corner of the establishment and not acceptable as a location for anyone paying money to stay. Breakfast was OK to good, though eggs overcooked and coffee scrimping must be part of staff training at the OH? We did not eat in for dinner though the food is talked up, so we can't comment. From our experience this hotel is not a good advert for the hotel trade on a beautiful island, lovely friendly people, and a wonderful sense of connection with the past. Good B&Bs outstrip the OH by a country mile!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Culloden22
London, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I just came back from a trip to the Orkney Islands just yesturday. I was there for two weeks, participating at an archaeological dig at the Ness of Brodgar, and while I was there I stayed at the Orkney Hotel. It is truly a beautiful hotel! It is in a great location(located near St Magnus Cathedral, the local supermarket, shops, etc), amazing food, free internet, comfortable rooms, and the prices are very reasonable. During my two week stay, there is one thing that really stands out in my mind- the hospitality. For a couple of days, the airline lost my luggage, and this was my first time traveling alone overseas, and the hotel staff went above and beyond to help me, and to make me feel at home. Absolutely incredible. You will not find this kind of hospitality anywhere else. I felt like I was part of a family, and they clearly cared about my well-being, and made sure I was alright. The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful. This is definitely a hotel that one should stay at when they are visiting Kirkwall. It was absolutely amazing!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank kwood32
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2010

My husband and I have always heard about the Orkney Islands and finally decided to visit since its just a boat ride away . The Orkney Hotel was a lovely base for our visit, not surprised that it was so busy. I'd advise booking in advance for a summer visit. We had a gracious welcome upon check-in which continued throughout our stay. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable of the area. We stayed for 4 nights and ate in the upstairs restaurant most nights. Splendid menu with local seafood which my husband really enjoyed. Even the breakfast menu is quite large. Our double room was comfortable, had an extra big duvet and was large enough for the two of us to relax in. The bathroom looked recently decorated.

Overall visit was quite enjoyable. We plan to try Shetland on our next trip north and if we can include a second trip to Kirkwall, we will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Room was a bit small and old-fashioned but clean and with very comfortable bed. Friendly staff and good choice of breakfast. Arrived late at night from Lerwick and check-in was no problem. The location was very good, just a few minutes walks to St. Magnus cathedral, the Orkney museum and city centre. Would stay there again if coming back to Orkney.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank DBrodie
Texas
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Having been to a few places in Scotland already, we decided to an island as well.

The Orkney Hotel is great - right next to the Cathedral and very close to anything you might want to do.
The room was far too big for us, but we did not mind, everything you would normally expect, plus a few extras!!!

Scotland as a whole seems to have its own accents, but the people in Orkney sound crazy! It's like talking to someone from Norway - don't get me wrong
though, we found the entire island friendly and happy to help with directions. The Orcadians are obviously very proud of their homeland.

Be sure to visit Highland Park for a 'wee dram'.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burray Village
Smithfield Hotel
Smithfield Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dounby

Been to The Orkney Hotel? Share your experiences!