“Great food, wine, service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Orkney Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
The Orkney Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
“Great food, wine, service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Booked this hotel due to great location in town but away from loud harbor. Friendly staff, arrived late and male receptionist very helpful, offered to carry bag, point me to the whiskey bar (hey, I'm in Scotland!)
Double bed was comfortable - I suspect a king in fact- room had shower, big chairs, flatscreen on wall - with no dangling wires - a plus! Was neat and clean.
We really enjoyed our meals at the Orkney hotel. Dinner with great local choices, nice size wine list which we definitely took advantage of, even had a few dessert wines and local Orkney port. Breakfast menu also generous, food prompt and hot served in restaurant with great views onto garden.
Overall, I recommend highly and will be back.

Room Tip: Room 204 - paid for double but got king bed, lots of windows
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ginny G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hotel was clean although air smelt a bit stale on route to bedrooms on second floor. Good location close to St Magnus Cathedral. Staff polite but young and on occasions lacked experience when questioned about menu. After two nights into a four nights stay opted to eat out for variety as menu did not change on daily basis

• Stayed May 2014
Rogart, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

The website for this hotel promises rather more than reality, but none the less it's a decent enough hotel and staff are friendly and helpful. Had dinner on one night which was okay if a little basic. Breakfast was very good though.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Went here recently for a meal with friends and I have to say I won't be going back any time soon. Food was below par and not what one of our group ordered. Service was good but atmosphere was very stale.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Victoria M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed at The Orkney when it was the only accommodation we could find anywhere on the island. We had a mix up with our booked place and thankfully there was a room left at this hotel. It was the last room and we were warned it was not yet refurbished and was at the back of the hotel, so we cannot really complain. Our only feeble suggestion would be to cover or remove the light in the lane way outside this room and to encourage the smokers who seem to gather there to find somewhere else to chat. When the room is finally refurbished these issues might still detract.

The hotel itself was lovely and looks good where it has been refurbished. It has a welcoming old charm about it and is also in a fantastic location right in the heart of the old town, next to the cathedral and castle ruins. The breakfast meal was excellent and the staff all very friendly. There were some issues trying to fin a wireless spot, perhaps the hotel could consider a booster (they are not expensive).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris R
Symbister, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed here for a few days when visiting Orkney. On arrival, late because of flight delays staff were happy to re-allocate me a different room as a fellow traveller advised not all rooms had a good Wi-Fi signal. On getting settled in my room I found I did indeed have a good signal.

I ate in the bar and enjoyed good meals there, the Orkney steak with garlic butter was particularly tasty. The local beer, Corncrake Ale, was very enjoyable.

Breakfast was good too, porridge cooked to order very good and full Orkney brekfast set me up for the day.

The hotel itself is located on one of the town centre streets but quite as a one way street with little traffic. The building is of quite an age but well maintained, lots of quirky stairs and corners.

My room was all I needed, with en suite shower that had good temperature and pressure.

My onward journey was late in the day but staff were happy for me to look after my luggage while I spent an afternoon exploring Kirkwall.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 206 has good Wi-Fi
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jaydee51
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Enjoyed our three night stay so much - really big room, comfortable bed, views of the gardens - lovely stay. Hotel has a very nice reading, game room, a well-stocked bar and a fine restaurant. Had dinner there two nights. Very nice wine selection. Breakfasts were made to order. And you can walk anywhere from the hotel. Super location. Would stay there again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank blackhillslady
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#7 of 9 in Kirkwall
Merkister Hotel
Merkister Hotel
#1 of 1 in Harray

Been to The Orkney Hotel? Share your experiences!