The Orkney Hotel
The Ayre Hotel(Kirkwall)
$156
St. Ola Hotel(Kirkwall)
  • Restaurant
All reviewslounge barsky sportsdining roomshopping streetgreat barst magnus cathedralrestaurant serveshotel is situatedcomfortable bedbit datedbusiness tripfriendly hoteltraditional hotellarge roomlocal producestayed here for one nighthigh standard
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Although I have stayed a couple of times before I was really looking forward to to my too short a visit this time and it certainly didn't disappoint. The hotel is a former privately owned house and inside is like a rabbit warren,so easy to get lost but great fun trying to find our room! Our room was to die for with a four poster bed and a spa bath. We arrived quite late and the night porter,only a young lad was extremely helpful and had taken our bags up whilst we ate in the dining room.When I asked him directions later on he not only told me but printed off two maps for me without me asking. The car park is a little awkward to find and the steps down from it could be better lit (I had my 81 yr old mother with me) the passage way was also rather dim but once inside the hotel more than made up for it. We had diner in the dining room which was nice but nothing special and breakfast was ok but not much of it but this wouldn't stop me from going back. The location is perfect for exploring Orkney from and only a minutes walk from the cathedral. Would certainly recommend and hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank tbdhfhdnr
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here recently on a short business trip and all eight of us agree'd that the this hotel was just perfect, the staff were very helpful and friendly and would recommend the hotel to anyone else

Rooms were super clean, and the food at breakfast and dinner time was fresh and full of flavor

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We spent 4 nights in this historic hotel while traveling about the Orkneys. Its location is wonderful, right near the heart of Kirkwall. Rooms were a little quirky, to be expected in such a storied building. Bathrooms were adequate. Meals were fine -- a cut above the average on the islands. Our only issue was noise late at night from a nearby bar & its rowdy patrons. We were awakened at 1am, 1:40am, and 3am on consecutive nights. Staff was helpful in trying to quiet the folks, but voices (and shouting) really echo on the small streets. Be sure to ask for a room on a quieter side of the facility.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the local pubs whose late night patrons create a lot of noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This place was recommended to me by two different people (glad i ignored the negative reviews)
Great location, clean, best breakfast I have had at a hotel in a long time (and we are often away).The decor is not contemporary, however in keeping with the style of the hotel. I would recommend taking your own hairdryer (if you need a powerful one) it was also situated in the bathroom.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scotslass71
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel is 17th century, so architectural foibles like uneven floors are to be expected

The rooms are clean and comfy, the staff are friendly and the food is out of this world!!!

I'll definitely stay again :-)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business