“Warm welcoming staff plus great location”
Review of West End Hotel

West End Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Booked 2 nights at the West End Hotel, plus had an additional impromptu stay due to flight cancellation to Sumburgh. Hotel is situated just a stone’s throw from the town centre and cathedral and is about a 30 minute walk from the Highland Park distillery. Feels very much like a family run business, all are very accommodating. Giffie is quite a character! Rooms are B&B style and have everything you need including free WiFi (signal not the best in places but it does work). Food was very good with lots of choice (I was even called and asked if I wanted dinner one evening before they closed the kitchen - how's that for service!?) and breakfast was excellent with a semi-buffet service of the usual cereal, fruit etc...with the option of a hearty cooked breakfast all inclusive. I hired a car and parking was available throughout my stay. Very good, I'd definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Banksyyyyy

Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a first rate hotel. My wife and I along with my sister, arrived early morning, after a 7.45am flight from a 4 night stay on Shetland and was offered a complimentary cooked breakfast - a perfect start to our 4 night stay on Orkney. Giffie offered us advice on where to go and what to see, thus making best use of our visit. The meals were excellent with a comfortable bar where we spent our evenings unwinding, chatting among ourselves along with the locals. Giffie and Robert were always on hand that added to the homely and friendly atmosphere of this hotel. On our final night it was my wifes birthday and was surprised with a cake and a happy birthday rendition in the bar. Hopefully we will be able to return to Orkney and visit the other adjoining islands at some time in the future, when we will definitely stay at this hotel. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Doug J
Reviewed May 29, 2013

When i return to Orkney this will be where i'll stay.
The food was delicious,My room was so comfortable,The tables were set to perfection.
The staff were always friendly.
My sister-in-law had a Birthday while we were there and we laughed the whole of the evening thanks to the happy atmosphere Giffie and Robert and other residents provided.
We were given help on where to visit,it was a delight to be in the West End Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is the second time my Sister and I stayed at The West End. We found the Hotel accommodation comfortable and clean. The food in the restaurant was to a high standard with a good selection on the menu. The staff were very friendly and welcoming as were Robert and Giffie the owners. We will most certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2013

A very warm friendly welcome at this comfortable hotel. Excellent food in the restaurant with very good service. The Eton Mess to die for! Hotel in good position for sight seeing and easy parking, in a quiet part of Kirkwall.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maggieal10
Reviewed April 26, 2013

A group of seven academics, we stayed here for six nights and felt it was home from home. Giffie in particular (but also Robert, though he was hampered by his crutches) couldn't do enough for us. Breakfast was re-timed for our early starts, delicious bacon and egg on the more relaxing days, and a wonderful ambience in the bar where Balfour the dog sat on our feet and made us welcome. Our hosts couldn't do enough for us in terms of ordering taxis and giving advice. My room, no. 8, was over the bar and thus not one for someone who wanted an early night, but the quiet music and chat stops at midnight. I would certainly come back here, both on another academic expedition or if I come back as a private citizen.

Room Tip: Room 8 not ideal if you want to go to bed early.