“Friendliest hotel”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Friendliest hotel”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights while on the island for work. The friendliest hotel I've ever stayed in! Yummy food and lovely hosts, enjoyed sitting in the cosy bar. Balfour the dog made it even better. I'll definitely visit Orkney again and stay in the West End.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank 294anna_g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 27, 2013

After visiting Kirkwall, I didn't want to leave! The West End is situated perfectly for a leisurely walk into town for shopping and ice cream, as well as visiting historical sites like St. Magnus Cathedral. Robert and Giffie were excellent hosts, and surprised us with a champagne welcome to our suite. We enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EmiliaSF
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in Kirkwall for one night only - Boxing Day - on our way to the northern isles, and though the hotel wasn't fully open to the public (the bar and restaurant were closed) we were able to book a room for the night. We learned that we would be the only guests, and we suspected that it would all be fairly basic; after all, who wants to pull out all the stops for 2 solitary visitors. However our stay was nothing less than magnificent. The welcome and the room were warm and inviting ( a 4-poster bed no less) and the place was immaculately clean. For dinner we fully expected a plate of oven fish and chips, but no, we were invited to join the family for Christmas Day leftovers. That doesn't do justice to the meal: three delicious courses, wine and crackers, with great conversation. They even lit the fire for us. This wasn't our first visit to the Orkneys (although it was our first stay at the West End), but for us, the experience encapsulates all that is good in the islands and in the hotel business.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael M
Kenai, Alaska
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 5 days in November, 2012. The staff and owners (Robert and Giffie) were wonderful. They could not have been more helpful. It's very nicely furnished. The location was very good and in the heart of Kirkwall. The small bar is a great place to have a pint and meet new people. The restaurant was very good too. If you go to the bar you'll meet Balfour the hotel dog who has his own chair there. The breakfast (included in the price) was really good.

If we go back to Kirkwall, there's no doubt where we'll the staying--the West End Hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have absolutley no idea why this hotel has such a high rating I was REALLY disappointed as i felt i had been promised so much. Admitedly my stay in November was off peak so perhaps there was some 'atmosphere' missing but there was no escaping the fact that the greeting upon arrival wasnt very friendly (they had lost my booking) my room was tiny, the hotel cold and dark (lights/heating off in stairwells and dining area), the hotel/rooms were in need of a facelift and the breakfast was pretty mediocre (poor quality sausage/deep fried mushrooms/preppy tomatoes), only marmalade on the table (no jam, marmite) etc. My room number 10 was located at the back of the hotel - and the extractor fan was so noisy (coupled with non double glazed windows) I had to wear ear plugs. It pretty much sounded like a transit van was outside my window with its engiene on all night.

At breakfast I felt sorry for the poor man (who was a lovely) who served me my breakfast (again in a cold and dark room) as he was a waiter/chef/front of house and was running about all over the place.

The dog and the fire in the bar where the highlight of my stay....
Perhaps they are trying to keep the costs down during low season - but for £100 for a room I think it was seriosuly over priced. I wouldnt stay there again....

Room Tip: dont take room number 10 (and the room directly above/below it i'd assume due to noisy extractor...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank 41shellsuit
Thurso, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just back from a short stay, the West End was lovely, very relaxing, very clean, friendly with a very tranquil ambiance, the owners are absolutely lovely and incredibly helpful. My Husband and I had a lovely double room, nicely decorated and incredibly clean.
The hotel is in an excellent setting and you right in the heart of Kirkwall, within easy walking distance of amenities. Rear parking is very secure and the garden is very private. i will most definately be back and look forward to my stay again next year, Thanks Guys for the lovely stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cat D
La Jolla, California
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Everything was great. Staff very helpful. Breakfast first class. In addition to bedroom, lovely private sitting room. Very convenient as right in town and can walk to all the sites and restaurants. very nice pub upstairs. You will not go wrong with this hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dounby
Karrawa Guest House
Karrawa Guest House
#2 of 26 in Kirkwall

Been to West End Hotel? Share your experiences!