“Liked the 'Buttries'.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Straigona B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
Straigona B&B
Ranked #2 of 26 Kirkwall B&B and Inns
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
“Liked the 'Buttries'.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Julie was very helpful with local knowledge. As a long term sufferer of a bad back I found the bed was very very comfortable. The cleanest B&B we've ever stayed in. Very convenient for the airport but don't worry about noise this is Orkney!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

jmr192, Owner at Straigona B&B, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Very pleased to hear that the bed was so comfortable and always good to hear that all our cleaning is appreciated. Hoping the rest of your trip went well and maybe we will see you back again. BRgds Julie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Fresh baking, considerate hosts, and plenty of small touches which are often missing: black out blinds for those super bright Orkney summer nights, useful practical range of toiletries, maps and local books.

Professional, easy going and friendly hosts with very standards and clear ideas of how they think a B&B should be run! Ask Julie for her home made vegetarian sausage for breakfast, whether you are a vegetarian or not.

You will need a car as it is a 5 minute drive out of Kirkwall.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Julie & Mike made me feel really welcome, saved my neck with scarf, gloves and hat when I was not prepared for the windy and cold weather, gave me lifts into town to save me the walk to the airport and the bus trip, replaced the liquid soap dispenser that got soap onto my blouse, made me vegetarian dinners and a packed lunch, gave me travel advice about the islands, chatted with me when I felt lonely, made me laugh with the messages on the personalised objects in the room and breakfast room... giving the perfect example of how to do tourism and what a home away from home feels like. Unfortunately, circumstances made it so that I only spent 3 nights there, of the 7 I spent in Orkney. But I really hope I'll go back :) It's the kind of place you think of fondly for weeks after you leave and the very nice kind of place you really want to return to :) I won't insist on the breakfast and the (baked) treats, others have already done that :)
The only disadvantage for travellers without a car is that the last bus towards Straigona in the evening is a bit past 7.

Room Tip: Inganess offers views to the airport, the sea and the sunsets.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
STRAIGONA, Owner at Straigona B&B, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
We really enjoyed having you stay and thank you for such a wonderful review, makes all our hard word more than worthwhile. You know where we are if you return! Brgds Julie
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Julie & Mike have created a brilliant B&B, where nothing is too much trouble and everything you might want is provided, along with many things you didn't expect to be provided. For example, there was an amzing range of toiletries, lovely tray bakes, packed lunches, offers of maps, torch, binoculars, etc. We had the family room, though there were only 2 of us, and that was very spacious and comfortable, with easy chairs, plenty of storage space and a lovely bathroom. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice. Julie in particular is very knowledgeable about Orkney and can give useful advice about where to go and what to do. If we return to Orkney, we shall certainly stay there again. The only thing to be aware of is that you do need a car because it's a little way out of Kirkwall, but that suited us being near the airport, because we were flying out to Westray after staying at Straigona.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

STRAIGONA, Owner at Straigona B&B, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you! Always nice to know we are on the right track and always a pleasure to meet guests who are so interested in Orkney - I was at Cuween Hill last weekend, first time since I was 14 I think and remembered to take a torch! BRgds Julie
Bradford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was my second stay here and I will be back as soon as possible. Location convenient, hosts so welcoming, food and rooms excellent what more could anyone ask for!! I stayed for 3 or 4 nights last year, this year it was 6 nights- next time i would like to stay longer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

The b n b was excellent. Welcoming, great en suite family room, clean, comfortable. Amazing home baked cakes fantastic breakfast. View over looking the air port. The location, if you have a car is near the airport and a five min drive from Kirkwall. The only reason for the 4 stars and not the 5 is there's not much to see in the area in may, attractions open in June.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Langrolay sur rance
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Very nice and hepful hosts, Julie organised for us a nice part of our tour: she booked for us ferry and accomodation! And we had great time in Straigona with nice bedroom and wonderful breakfast . Thank you , Elisabeth and Jean-François

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple