“The best Host”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
Huntsville, Alabama
“The best Host”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a family establishment. They were so helpful and responsive when planning my trip to Kirkwall. Clean, comfy room with a view of the sea and harbour. Nice breakfast available, and dinner in the restaurant was also very good. Well within walking distance of everything. Quiet location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank deegreen1956

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

OK, I normally stay elsewhere in Orkney, this time it was fully booked and I looked at reviews in TA for an alternative and up popped the Ayre.

Fine hotel, lovely room overlooking the harbour, it was warm and inviting, with nice decor. I was advised that wifi was included in rate, good sized TV, nice hospitality tray, comfy beds, well appointed room and bathroom. Well done, first impressions 10/10.

Dinner was a bit of a mixed bag, no separate dining room, that was a bit disappointing, although not in public bar, people can come in and have a drink whilst you were eating.

Starters: (Seafood Trio) was excellent, well presented and plenty of it, will give you 10/10 here, faultless.

Mains: I asked for the £21 fillet steak – when asked I requested that it be cooked rare, however it was cooked blu, clearly underdone with uncooked dark red meat inside the fillet. As I was dining with colleagues, I didn't want to be left plateless whilst it was rectified so I just got on with it.. When asked by the young waitress if all was OK, I highlighted the fault and this and she must of thought this was a compliment as she said cool, I'll tell the chef. It was nothing special, a fillet steak with fried onion rings and chips and a serving of mixed veg, could of been better presented.

Breakfast: Big letdown, 2 what looked like weatherbeaten poached eggs with the white of the egg all over the plate served with thick grey watery bacon.

As I said, the Ayre Hotel is lovely, well appointed with good features with a nice welcome but the food is as you would get in most restaurants, in this case a dining room attached to a lounge bar.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Scottex
Hertfordshire England
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had a comfortable and well-prepared room with a sea view. Dinner was very good as were the breakfasts. The bar was set out for breakfasts the previous evening so I had to use the public bar part of the premises where the environment was not very relaxing - in fact I found the pub rather in need of updating and sprucing up. However, the hotel itself was fine and I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank leaforis
Newtown, Powys
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights 14th and 15th September 2012. We arrived off the Shetlands ferry after a very rough crossing getting to the hotel at almost 11pm. We received a warm welcome from the management with keys all ready for us and got to our room within 5 minutes of arrival. What a surprise – a HUGE obviously newly refurbished “boutique” style room in white and purple with a huge comfy bed, bed runner and cushions. The tea tray with biscuits was very welcome as we had not eaten much on the crossing! The bathroom was, likewise, newly refurbished and could not be faulted. After a great night’s sleep we went down for a very good breakfast with an extensive buffet table and a cooked breakfast. After a day exploring we returned for our evening meal which was also delicious. As we had to leave early the following morning we retired to watch a bit of TV on the excellent set and another good night. We had to have a very early breakfast so this was just from the buffet table but as it was extensive it was not a problem. Should we visit Kirkwall again we will certainly stay at this excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room on the 1st floor as we were advised by the management that the 2nd...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Gwen L
Oswestry, UK
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Entrance to the hotel from the front is down a side alley, which did make me wonder, but once inside - staff very welcoming, nothing too much trouble. Found them very knowledgable about the whole of Orkney and prepared to discuss/suggest places to visit. A few roadside parking spaces on the front, and car park at the rear.
I had a room at the front which was fine, no noise to disturb me, lovely to wake up and look out onto the bay and harbour. Evening meal and breakfast were v. good, Spotlessly clean,
Value for money, priced just about right.

Room Tip: Difficult - I had a front facing room on 1st floor, no noise, good sleep, assume other rooms would b...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank GlynnOswestry
Nottingham
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our very comfortable room was at the front of the hotel, overlooking the harbour. It had recently been refurbished, had a lovely ensuite with a great shower, large comfortable bed and was spacious. The room was maintained throughout the week to high standard by the staff. The meals in the pleasant hotel restaurant were very good and there was enough choice on the menu to ring the changes throughout the week. We found the staff to be very efficient, friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is ideal for the ferries to the islands and Kirkwall is a good base for exploring the rest of the Orkney Islands. The hotel is only a few minutes walk to the main shopping street. Really no complaints at all - if there had been a chocolate dessert choice on the menu things would have been absolutely perfect but that's just my taste!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first and second floors at the front of the older part of the hotel have good views of...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank KLacey
Marseille, France
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two days. The rooms were generous and very clean.
The staff were friendly and helpful and certainly helped us enjoy our stay in Kirkwall. The breakfasts was more than adequate and we decided to have dinner here as well. We were not disappointed. Overall a good family run hotel

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Monica S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
St. Ola Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dounby
Karrawa Guest House
Karrawa Guest House
#2 of 26 in Kirkwall

Been to The Ayre Hotel? Share your experiences!