“Good old fashioned courtesy.”
Review of Lerona B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
Lerona B&B
Ranked #20 of 26 Kirkwall B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at the Lerona on 14-02-13 for one night after reading the scathing review left by the American lady. Although I wa only staying for the one night this couple went out of their way to make me welcome, the room had been pre-heated on a very cold day, I was shown to my room which was spotlesss and very comfy. The room was not ensuite but the bathroom was right next door with adequate facilities.
The breakfast was first class and would satisfy the best appitite.
Stay here without trepidation, the American girl should stick to the Hilton, If and when this couple decide to retire it will be a loss to the Orkadian B&B trade.
Thanks for having me, Alfg.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank alf g

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My sister and I stayed at this lovely b and b in April 2012 for 6 days.Mr and Mrs Delday were wonderful people and I will remember our visit there very fondly because of them!! We had a very roomy en-suite twin room, spotlessly clean, quiet and with parking in front of home. We could walk to main town in 5 minutes.Great position and lovely people.I hope one day to return

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank julie255068
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Quite at the end of our trip to Scotland, this B&B was a really nice place to stay at. The location is extremely convenient and very close to the center of Kirkwall.
The host is a really nice elder lady, warm and welcoming (finding everything "lovely!").
Breakfast was nothing to brag about (I preferred others), but when having to depart very early, it was no problem at all to get something very early (I am sure, we could have gotten a full breakfast at 5am if we wanted :-))
The decor is a bit weird in an "old lady" kind of way, including the puppets in the TV room and the garden. Rooms are clean and comfortable without a lot of amenities (but with quite some "don't"-signs).
Overall, this B&B is a place with character and I really liked that. I'd probably stay here again

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mh_3041
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We arrived on the ferry from Shetland, landing at Kirkwall past 11 pm. and even later at the Lerona B&B. We forewarned Mrs. Delday of our late arrival and she was waiting graciously for us at a very late hour indeed. We made our selection of two rooms and trundled off to bed thanking our host for her kindness in allowing us to arrive so late from Shetland.

My room was warm, comfortable, and very clean. My bathroom was outwith the bedroom, but next to it and had a great shower and tub. Everything was spotless. I enjoyed the view from my room to the garden, being surprised at the Shetland pony in the garden next over, as well as the gnomes and poppies in Mrs. Delday's garden. Delightful - I experienced a certain charm from the touches provided by the overal decorations of the rooms and garden.

The breakfast was superb, a high quality cooked breakfast, served with great flair and courtesy. I enjoyed Mrs. Delday's conversation as well as Mr. Delday's jokes - which I had been prewarned would be forthcoming! Very cordial hosts and a charming experience. My friend has stayed at Lerona B&B several times before and I have to agree it's unique and a very good value.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carl_Pritchett
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was booked here through Welcome to Scotland. I had to rearrange my booking due to Ferry closings and a change to my plans because of a missed train and further closings in the north sea. My ferry was late ..past 9pm and being residents of Orkney they should be aware of this common reality. I wanted to stay at an earlier date but she didn't have an opening so I accepted the 1 night. I arrive and her husband is standing there with a very grouchy attitude and was shown my room after being reprimanded for being late and shown my room. There is no internet(wi-fi),no tv in the room and a tacky sign along with many others "no showers after 10pm" .Ok fine I'll wash my face and go out. The towels in the bath cabinet are shelved as room 1 AND room 4. So this is not for my us only. Breakfast was pushed on me at 8:00 am..fine. Then I notice amongst all the tacky signs in the room check out is 30 minutes after breakfast. You've got to be kidding. So I had a quick shower and used 2 towels which I was reprimanded for AGAIN " the amount of towels I used" 1 hand towel for my face and 2 for my shower. I'm girl and have hair. Then she and her husband wanted to argue with me over the fact I had paid a deposit. tried to book for earlier AND even come back 2 days later for 2 nights and was told they were booked. So not being "a stupid american"I did make other arrangements. The morning of breakfast I was informed she did have the 2 days open,she had a cancellation. No thank you...I've made other arrangements. I paid 46 lbs for 1 night in all. I will be contacting Visit Scotland to file a complaint and spreading the word in my large country since I do work for a major travel author. I do not like to complain but she didn't understand the agreement with Visit Scotland,neither if them did and I was not going argue with a elderly woman that needs to retire. And her creepy dolls in the "TV room" are weird. The breakfast was good,the place was clean, comfy bed but the lack of hospitality overshadowed all of that. They do not know how to handle business in a proper manner. The husband slammed the bathroom door at 9:30 am when I asked to use the restroom before I left. RUDE. He was very friendly with the older scottish trio staying there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Diantidote
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Mr and Mrs Delday - wonderful hosts - nothing was too much trouble - B & B immaculate, breakfast scrumptious, 5 minutes walk to harbour and 10 minutes to Centre of Town
'Definitely 5 STAR' Highly recommend

Room Tip: We were in the upstairs (above the lounge) double room super views over Kirkwall Harbour
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ToodalootheNoo
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Lovely little B&B with great hosts for whom nothing is too much trouble. Cooked breakfast, cereals, lots of lovely fresh fruit. Only drawback is they like you to start breakfast by 8:15, as ferries start disgorging new people then. They are very accommodating and fetched some guests off the ferry at 2am in the morning.
Lovely clean house, towels changed everyday and everythink cleaned throughout

Room Tip: Room 4 has a double bed, two others are single rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple