“we loved it!!”

Royal Oak Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
Royal Oak Guest House
Ranked #9 of 26 Kirkwall B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 13, 2011

we were made to feel very welcome, from the minute we arrived
nothing was too much trouble for liz, the owner
the rooms were spacious, warm and comfortable
great shower, with plenty of hot water in the bathroom, as well as shower gel etc and loads of clean towels
lovely bedroom, with tv, kettle, tea, coffee and biscuits all replenished daily
an easy downhill walk into kirkwall, and about 20mins walk back up
comfortable guest lounge/kitchen if you want to have a take away meal rather than go out to eat in the evening
breakfast was wonderful- fresh fruit salad, cereals, toast with homemade jam, and any of the usual items freshly cooked to order
liz was also good at recommending eating places for our evening meal, as well as giving ideas for outings
we hired a car at the airport, and the royal oak had loads of off street parking at tha rear of the building- very safe and convenient
really good value, very friendly, easy to recommend!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank guapa231

Reviewed June 3, 2011

I stopped here as part of a touring holiday & it was an excellent stop.

The outer appearance of the Royal Oak is a modern 80s box. But don't let this put you off.

Parking is ample. Rooms are well equipped with flat screen Freeview TVs, lots of electric sockets for gadgets & modern but small bathroom/shower. Very quiet and comfortable.

It's 10 minutes walk to the Harbour but longer & uphill back. Only downside was lack of wifi (there but password protected), which would have been useful given flakey mobile Internet coverage on the Islands.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank StuartSussex
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I would just liek to say what a wonderful stay we had here in the summer. The guest house is easy to find (not too far from the centre) and there was a large amount of parking. The room was well furnished and very clean with cleaning taking place every day as well as a lounge with kitchen-great idea which meant we could cook our own meals. The breakfast over scapa flow was lovely and liz also did our laundry for a small charge. liz is a really friendly host and made this a wonderful stay on these brilliant islands.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Willtheman
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I try to balance my reviews by looking at how good I felt the service was on the one hand, and how much I had to pay for it on the other. The Royal Oak Guest House was not so expensive compared to other hotels I visited while in Orkney, yet I feel it was the best hotel I stayed due to the good locations, good facilities and superb service. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation and warn travellers from choosing to spend more at a 'better' hotel, because the service in the Royal Oak will not be beaten, and I experienced much worse service in an expensive hotel in Rousay.

1. The location. Although the guest house is not situated in the centre of Kirkwall it is very close to the centre in a charming residential area that makes the place feel quite homely. The view from my window was rather unlucky (a parking lot) but most of the rooms do have better views, and the point of going to Orkney is not being in the room all the time. The view through the windows of the breakfast room and the living room over Scapa Bay is enchanting and the large glass windows mean that view is greatly enhanced. Kirkwall is a brilliant place to plan excursions around Orkney, because all parts of the Mainland are within easy reach of Kirkwall, since Kirkwall is geographically in the centre and all bus and ferry routes operate from there.

2. The hotel facilities. The kitchen is equipped with a microwave and extensive utensils. There is a comfortable living room. There is something homely about the entire place. The rooms are frequently cleaned and very well kept. The rooms have en-suite bathrooms, all immaculately clean. The Guest House has a wireless internet connection which means one is never out of touch with the rest of the world. I would have liked the water pressure in the shower to be greater, but all across Orkney the pressure is weak and I only considered this a minor point.

3. The service. The hotel is kept extremely well and Liz is extremely friendly. The service is so friendly and open that I nearly felt like asking whether I could help with the many duties which seem to create an enormous amount of work, before remembering that I was the guest. Breakfast was always served reasonably prompt and was always well cooked and without any faults. I especially recommend the black pudding which in Orkney is a speciality one should not miss. The service was so good that I truly feel I miss the hotel, and I never missed staying in hotels before. The service is the best aspect of the Guest House.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank the_phototraveller
Reviewed September 14, 2010

A friend and I traveled to Orkney this past summer and stayed two nights at the Royal Oak guest house. The room was clean and comfortable. The atmosphere is easy-going but helpful. The view from the breakfast room of Scapa flow is beautiful! Our ferry didn't leave until midnight our final day in Kirkwall and even though check out was in the morning, the land lady very kindly allowed us to leave our luggage and even return in the evening to use the television lounge after we had checked out.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank mgschoenfelder
Reviewed July 31, 2009

The bedrooms are a good size and not every guest house has an ensuite for each bedroom! Definite luxury! Lounge available for guests to use and very relaxed atmosphere. Fantastic host and superb breakfast. Good location in Kirwall - not too far from the centre of town but far enough out to get lovely views. Would love to stay there again. Can definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank ScottishLass83
Reviewed October 20, 2008

We stayed here October 8 & 9. We had enough space in our twin room for us and all of our stuff. There is plenty of off street parking. Only minutes from the airport or town centre. Our hostess Liz was cheery and helpful. We had 24 hour access, made it feel like home. You control the heat in your room and the windows open even in the bathroom. It is clean and well kept. Breakfast was very good with lots of choice. There is lots of information on the area in the rooms and reception area. We had a good time on Orkney and would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family