“A great dinner at The Shore”

The Shore Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 36 Restaurants in Kirkwall
Cuisines: British, Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Llanerfyl, United Kingdom
“A great dinner at The Shore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We hadn't booked and just turned up asking if they could find us a table for 5 people. They jumped to it, asked if we'd mind having a beer in the bar while they got one sorted, then let us know once the table was ready.
We ordered from both the restaurant and bar menu, and all thoroughly enjoyed all three courses.
I was very impressed by the helpfulness of the staff, the quality of the food, and the value for money. If I could change one thing about The Shore, it would be to add another beer handpump to the one they have. I love real ale, but prefer a darker beer to the Scapa Special on offer. Only a comment though!
All in all, a great meal and a very nice out.

• Visited August 2013
Karen C, General Manager at The Shore Restaurant, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are glad that you had a good experience with us and that the staff looked after your group. We would like to add more Orkney Ales to our range too. At the moment we only have a small cellar. We are looking into how we can make it bigger. Watch this space!

Diggle, England, United Kingdom
“lunch ashore”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

It was early lunch the restaurant was closed so we were directed to the bar a light lunch was all that was required we both ordered Cullen skink which was OK my wife had crab cakes that were cremated and did not taste of crab I had a terrine that was dry and tasteless maybe we caught them on a bad day but all in all not a good choice although the young barman was a pleasant lad the bar was dark and dismal and no atmosphere

3 Thank Fred H
Saskatoon, Canada
“Meh...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

First off I will say that my partner enjoyed his beef burger, no qualms there....but I had ordered the Cajun chicken burger. The burger consisted of 3 of the smallest, driest hunks of chicken I think I've ever come across and I still have no idea where the Cajun went but it was no where near my plate. Service was good and the staff friendly so the experience wasn't horrible, just my chicken.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank BellaT33
Geneva, Switzerland
“Great food with local ingredients.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

After spending a whole day on rainy Orkney it was very nice to go inside a restaurant and have a good dinner. The menu contained several dishes with local seafood/fish and we decided to order those. The pickled herrings as a starter were very good. We even had the opportunity to taste the local whisky (Highland Park).

Service was good as well, background music not too loud, and we were happy that we had chosen this restaurant.

1 Thank kamukwam
Boulder, Colorado
“Good food but slow service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Dinner was quite good featuring locally sourced foods prepared with some creativity. It was Saturday night and the restaurant was full. The staff were overwhelmed as was the kitchen and service was occasionally brusque.

4 Thank Peter V