“Altogether really enjoyable stay”
Review of The Shore

and 1 more site!
The Shore
Ranked #10 of 26 Kirkwall B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed in one of the loft apartments at The Shore from 14-17 May. The accommodation could not have been better - very comfortable with everything we needed. Breakfast was great and we ate in the restaurant each evening. Kind and attentive staff. Could happily have stayed longer. We thoroughly recommend The Shore.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EgeriaLondon

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Comfortable bed , clean room but with a slightly poky shower room. OK, unless like my husband you are 6'5". Little room to manoevre.
Room was over the bar but late noise wasn't a problem.
The dining room was simple and the food was good though not cheap. Enjoyed 2 nice meals there.
All the staff were very pleasant. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room not at the front over the bar. Public bar was quite noisy on the Saturday night. Wi f...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Arrived without a booking and got a room easily. The room was good if a little small as was the bathroom. We stayed on the second floor and had problems connecting to the wifi. The hotel restaurant was very good. Overall a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Lower floors get wifi
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2011

My colleague and I each stayed in a single ensuite room while in Orkney on business. I found all the staff welcoming and helpful, we were shown to our rooms which was a lovely touch. I had three good night's sleep in a comfortable single bed. Breakfast was a standard continental one and suited us fine. The cooked breakfast was only £2.50 more if people want it. Parking is super convenient. The bar meal we had was tasty, used local produce and was quick to arrive. Good selection of local beers too. Price was reflective of the product, very good room rate in my opinion. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2011

very friendsly staff. great food! nice rooms, could hear noise from road in room on the front. very comfortable and had great information book which we found very useful with its day planners.

Room Tip: rooms on the front of the building will be noisier.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2011

The Shore is an excellent base for travelling in and around Orkney. 2 minutes walk from the Ferries to the otheer islands. Modern decor and design, great food, helpful staff. I wouldn't stay anywhere else on Orkney.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I suspect there are no great hotels in Kirkwall, and The Shore gets 'OK' rating but no more too. The rooms were basic, nothing wrong with them, but everywhere seems fairly booked up most of the time so I suspect they don't have to try too hard. It just seemed quite pricey at £90 for double without breakfast - I pay that in London (grudgingly!). I also had a mix of single and double rooms in my 4 nights - the single room was hot but you couldn't open the windows. TV small and digital reception not great. Staff were generally helpful - friendly when I booked, found a spot where I could park my bicycle while staying - and location on the quay is excellent. Breakfast was good - fruit and yogurt as well as cooked, but didn't get to try in the evening... First evening I went down to bar I said hello when bar person came in, they said hello back and promptly walked out. When they came back I tried to catch eye but no response. So it was my turn to walk out, went next door to Skippers Bar in Kirkwall Hotel and didn't come back - Skippers has great food and beer, friendly bar staff and somehow works for solo people eating and drinking

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank martinLondonSW14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#7 of 9 in Kirkwall
Merkister Hotel
Merkister Hotel
#1 of 1 in Harray

Been to The Shore? Share your experiences!