“Birds of Prey experience day.”

Gauntlet Birds of Prey
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Knutsford
More attraction details
Owner description: Gauntlet, Eagle & Vulture park is the largest bird of prey park in the Northwest of England. With over 120 birds of prey, ranging from the smallest owls to the worlds largest eagle and Vultures it really is a haven for animal lovers. Gauntlet has two daily shows at 12.30 and 3 during the months March-Oct and during the winter months weekends only. As well as our two daily displays we have vulture feeding and meet & greet. We have a large children's play area with plenty of room for picnics. We are on the same site as Fryers garden centre and you can leave at anytime and come back for our displays. For those wishing to get closer we have bird of prey experiences which are run 7 days a week throughout the year. This gives people the opportunity to handle and fly the birds.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Had a full day's handling experience and could not ask for more! The falconer, Danny, was very experienced and informative. He made the day thoroughly enjoyable with his easy and relaxed manner. There were a number of different birds to handle and the opportunity to fly them in the surrounding countryside. Definitely worth a visit if you wish to get up close and handle birds of prey.

1  Thank 944Denise
There are newer reviews for Gauntlet Birds of Prey

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Definately worth a visit, did not realise this was here as we have visited the garden centre many times in the past. It was a lot bigger than we thought with lots of different birds to look at. The flying display was excellent full of information and seeing the birds flying especially the eagle was amazing.

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Visited on an extremely hot sturdy with mother, husband a 2 children aged 11 and 5. Ok to find with the sat nav, and had the brown road signs to direct. You actually turn into a garden centre car park which threw us a little then realised the gauntlet car park was in there and to the right. Plenty of parking. Entered through a little shop which appeared to only have a few things on sale but we weren't interested in this anyway. Front desk greeting of our party was very friendly. We were warmly welcomed and given lots of information about the place, timing of displays etc. the children were offered cards where they had to find different indicated birds around the place and ink stamp their card - this was really fun and kept the children interested and they got a sweety on completion.

Overall I would say this is a half day out but well worth the visit. The cost to get in was reasonable even if we had to pay full price which we didn't as had a groupon ticket . It is only a small place which was a bit surprising but the best thing about this place was the staff. The lady that gave the demonstrations and also dud the meet and greet was brilliant. She was so enthusiastic and funny and gave lots of information but in a way that even kept the kids interested in the heat. The display was great and be warned - the birds get very close literally swooping over our heads so we had to duck! Fun! Then the meet and great was great as birds and ferret was walked through the crounds and we were able to see the creatures up close and able to stroke them. The vulture feed time talk was also interesting but I think the kids were a little bored here. You can alway buy goat food and feed the cute goats.

I can't comment on the food as we took a picnic and ate this under an umbrellered table.

It was such a hot day and the place was very exposed so unfortunately we had to leave earlier than I personally would have liked as the kids and my mother we flagging in the heat. An impressive thing however is that umbrellas were available for use free of charge to walk around with to keep the sun off us.

I'm glad I went.

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

This was the fourth birds of prey centre I had visited in the past few weeks (stockley farm, peckforton castle, Knowsley safari park bird show and here) in the past few weeks and this one is the best in my opinion.
First of all one of the staff members, I think his name was Danny was very helpful and informative to when the shows were happening, we attended 2 of the shows at this centre.
The surface itself in certain parts of the area were a little hard for my sister who is in a wheel chair to get around in but the staff were always askingif we needed any help getting her around which is very good.
There are many animals here which mainly consist of birds but there are many, these range from the little kestrels upto the very large American bald eagle.
There are also other animals including ferrets and goats, there is a packet of goat food that can be purchased from the main entrance to feed the goats for just a pound, all this money also goes to charity.
The shows that we attended were the vulture restaurant and the flying show, both of these are musts as once you pay the entrance fee you can go anywhere on the site and go to all of the shows which happen every 30 to 60 minutes, the shows are apparently always different but I suppose they would be as they people can't really control the birds behaviour.
Overall I hope to visit this centre again in the near future.

1  Thank bop1993
Reviewed July 3, 2013

If you are ever anywhere near Knutsford in Cheshire then don't miss the chance to see the best falconry centre in the country.It is run by Graham Bassant who'm I have known for many years since one of his falcons was lost in Cheshire then found by police on a public tip off in a flat in Newport ,Gwent.I was in on the rescue of his bird on request that I joined them to retrieve the falcon.Ever since we have remained very good friends.
Back to the falconry centre where you can see White Tailed Eagle,Fish Eagle,Tawny Eagle,Bald Eagle and Marshall Eagle.You can also see the very beaytiful Red kite,Black Kite,European Eagle Owl,Bengal Eagle Owl,Barred Owl,Tawny Owl,Barn Owl,Long Eared Owl,Short Eared Owl and Little Owls.Then there arethe falcons Pereguin ,Lanner,Saker ,Gyr. STOP STOP STOP !!!!!!!!! I think you really get the picture now,there are so many birds of prey to be seen here which are not all listed here,there are many more to be seen,some you will see in excellent flying displays where Graham will talk through with you all about each bird that is being flown in his displays.
If after you have seen these flying displays and you would really like to have an introductory to falconry then why not book yourself on a course with Graham and learn about every aspect of this wonderful experience so that you can take up falconry yourself. So if here in or near Knutsford on a day out or on holiday don't miss this fabulous day out at Gauntlet Falconry Centre in Knutsford. Tel No 01565 754419