“Great service and delicious afternoon tea !” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mere Court Hotel Restaurant

Mere Court Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #50 of 94 Restaurants in Knutsford
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chateauneuf-du-Pape, France
“Great service and delicious afternoon tea !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed there several times and the staff is really welcoming and helpful. I just tried the afternoon tea today. Excellent, especially the scones which are huge.

Visited November 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Don't bother with afternoon tea!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had afternoon tea for two on a special purchase voucher. The whole affair was poor.
The young man waiting on was pleasant but had no pizzaz and was obviously inexperienced.
They balked at the idea of further sandwiches...most afternoon tea places offer this as standard. The sandwich fillings were mundane. They "ran out of cakes" ( a key feature to a traditional afternoon tea!) and so we were given a large cookie each instead....hardly reminiscent of a summer afternoon in England. The fizz was flat. The room was dark and a bit depressing.
So all in all, I've had better afternoon tea at British Home stores!

5 Thank RokkoAl
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Unwelcoming mediocre dining”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We visited this restaurant having benn bought a buy a gift voucher. The first issue was booking a table where Friday and Saturday were not available due to the hotel hosting weddings. We then suggested a Thursday and were told the receptionist would have to check with the chef which took her 2 days! By then we only had a week of our voucher left (our fault for leaving it late) and they could only offer Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. Due to other commitments we could only do Monday which is not a high demand night but we had no other option.
On arrival we were directed to the restaurant, following the directions we ended up in a little lobby area with stairs down to the restaurant there we waited for 5 minutes for someone to seat us. Eventually the receptionist come through and asked abruptly if there was a problem, we said there was no-one around to seat us and we were told to sit anywhere. The resaurant only had 3 other diners a couple both on iPads ad a business traveller. The atmosphere resembled a mausoleum with piped music! We were then welcomed by the waiter who was pleasant and we ordered drinks, he ten forgot my G &T only bringing the glass of wine I ordered for with the meal. The food came reasonably quickly and was ok but not inspiring, my husband's black pudding starter was drowned in apple sauce and my pork belly was very dry. My husband's salmon main course was nice but my lamb was over cooked. My husband opted for creme brûlée which was ok but very over priced at £7.50 I had the cheese board which was very nice although the butter was rock hard and completely unusable.
At the end of the meal we waited ages for someone to show their face to ask for the bill. Overall we got the impression that the hotel did not want our business and we will not return.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AngelaSt66
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We went into the Mere for an afternoon tea yesterday afternoon, having reserved earlier in the morning.

On the plus side, the hotel itself is quite beautiful on the outside.

Negatives
- We requested a table outside as the inside of the hotel looked like at the very best 'average' and had to wait the best part of 20 minutes just hanging about doing nothing. Finally after asking the front desk twice, they showed us to our table
- Plates, cutlery. Every single thing that turned up on our table was dirty. All 4 plates had stuff on it, all cups had stuff on it. When I pointed this out, the explanation given was we wash it with the tea leaf strainers and hence the dirt. Wouldn't explain sticky stuff and grease.
- Service - the waitress that served us was actually nice and I felt sorry for her but the place was horribly under staffed due to a wedding. It took ages to get anyone's attention.
- Food - They dished up whipped cream for the scones instead of clotted cream. When we enquired about this, we were first told that was clotted cream. My wife then said, it most definitely is not clotted cream. 10 minutes later they came and said, the kitchen ran out, so it was indeed whipped cream.

Overall, very disappointing and probably the worst afternoon tea experience I have had to date. Avoid like the plague.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Rmeister81
England
“Excellent dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Food of the highest quality. Dinner and breakfast were very good. We thoroughly enjoyed eating here.

Visited April 2013