“Mid week lunch - Lovely”
Review of Belle Epoque

and 1 more site!
Belle Epoque
Ranked #7 of 14 Knutsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 31, 2013

A delightful lunch with a friend in lovely surroundings with attentive and helpful staff. We chose the 2 course Artisan menu for £14.95 which was good value. Enough choice and either a starter or dessert as well as a main course. The hake was simply delicious and a great recommendation from our waiter. The décor is quirky in a good way and we were made to feel welcome and valued. Next time we'll try an evening visit. I'm sure we won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The hotel is in the centre of town on one of the two narrow streets, on entering it’s like taking a trip back in time where sumptuous furnishes and opulent fitting was the norm and quality ruled. We were warmly greeted and shown to our room, No.6. this room has access to the rear garden terrace and patio, with the sun shining onto the area was charming place to rest and relax in the quietness.

Large opulent furnish bedroom and equally large well-furnished bathroom, the only downside was small wardrobe which included the drinks and kettle with cups that aside the bedding was luxurious and mattress exceedingly comfortable night sleep.

Evening meal was a WOW, my fiancée had booked the corner raised seating table for two, its set back and like eating in a round turret, is at the front of the building and exquisitely set table with a large candelabra provided the final touch over the table, the menu was equally enjoyable as was the attentive staff. For dessert I ordered the Baked Alaska, rarely seen on menu’s theses day, and they had gone to the trouble of inscribing “Happy Birthday” around the plate they served it on, nice touch as was the meal, the wine and the company.

The building is charming, and would be excellent for any special occasion as I walked past one of the private dining rooms which had the table laid and fresh flowers and fairy lights - looked lovely and very romantic.

B & B this doesn't not include a full cooked breakfast. The hot food is available including bacon or sausage sandwich or eggs on toast, boiled eggs etc. The full cooked offering is £4.95 extra and to be honest we both thoroughly enjoyed their offering. Service again was very good as the guy who should have been on had not turned in but another covered and couldn’t do enough for us.

Room Tip: Room 6 has great access to the rear gardens and relaxing settings
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank peter197_11
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked to stay here with my mum, mother in law & sister in law for one night. Working in the wedding industry I had noticed it on facebook as a wedding venue and thought it looked really nice so went on the website. The website makes it look A LOT nicer than it actually is, the rooms are dingy and not nearly as luxurious as the pictures portray and the "double bed" my mother in law and sister in law had to share was more like a three quarter bed. In a luxury style hotel/wedding venues the beds should be at least kingsize, but you'd definitely expect a double. The meal was really lovely but they got our bill wrong TWICE (over charged us both times which we were suspicious about) so it kind of put a downer on the food being nice. Knutsford is a lovely place with great bars, pubs and resturants...just wish we had stayed and eaten somewhere else. Most of the staff were friendly but one of them wasn't and looked us up and down when we got there, and was very unwelcoming and false.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Jo S
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed there friday the 25th. I cant fault it. The food was amazing and the staff were superb. Nothing was too much trouble. I decided to propose to my girlfriend and they couldnt do enough to make sure it went smoothly. It was a night we will never forget.In fact we are going back in feb for a family meal. Well worth it.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank timsterbug
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Booked in to Belle Epoque when in the area on business - the website looked fab - sumptuous rooms and a boutique feel. Not cheap at £95 a night though. It's on one of the little high streets in Knutsford - very old building and lovely from outside.
I arrived in the afternoon to a locked door - probably because the Brasserie isn't open during the day. Checked in and was shown to room. The hotel is on lots of split levels with little staircases as i'm guessing it was converted to be a hotel.
Lovely old world feel to it. I stayed in room 3 at the front of the building - had a little veranda but couldn't use it due to H & S reasons. This was obviously the room for single travellers as the double bed looked quite small. Nothing like the photo on the website which featured a huge bed adorned with cushions and lovely soft furnishings. Decorated and furnished in keeping with the building - chests and leather bedsides, but had a tiny desk. Cobwebs on the roof too. Lack of plug sockets was an issue - no sockets near the desk so had a put kettle on a bedside table which wasn't very safe as quite low down. Probably ideal for a leisure break, but not suited for a business traveller who wants more work space. Bathroom was lovely, a few cobwebs again, nice and clean though with Arran Aromatic toiletries.
The room was really cold - 1 old big radiator and old original windows were the probable cause and it was just above freezing outside. The chamber maid had rolled up a towel and put it under the veranda door to stop the draught and kept the curtains closed.
Breakfast on the first day was a disaster. I was just leaving my room when the fire alarm went off - the cause was too many logs on the open fire in the breakfast room! Told to stay indoors, I sat at breakfast whilst the alarm carried on ringing. There was 1 other table of 4 men waiting patiently. I was sat for 25 minutes before I was even acknowledged or offered a menu. The server was obviously flustered as they couldn't get in touch with the maintenance man to switch off the fire alarm, so it was ringing shrilly! The other table managed to eat and also pay their bill whilst I wasn't even nodded to. They found this most surprising as did I! Especially when the server had to keep walking past me!
When I was eventually given a menu, I had 4 minutes left before my scheduled taxi arrived, so I said "i'll just have whatever you can get me and I can eat in that time!". "Cereal, toast?" was the answer and I said yes....cereal never arrived and the toast was out seconds later. It was cold which told me it hadn't been made for me. All in all very unhappy at having to wolf down some cold toast when I'd had to prebook the time I'd be down for breakfast.
Didn't eat in the hotel the second evening as put off by the breakfast disaster - went to Gusto over the road - great Italian cuisine.
Breakfast on the second day was much better and the server redeemed himself! I was able to enjoy a leisurely breakfast. Beware - when booking B & B this doesn't not include a full cooked breakfast. The hot food is bacon or sausage sandwich or eggs on toast, boiled eggs etc. The full cooked offering is £4.95 extra.
Walked past one of the private dining rooms which had the table laid and fresh flowers and fairy lights - looked lovely, although a little dimly lit.
The hotel is also on the flight path for Manchester airport - I saw planes taking off, and also coming in to land (right over the hotel!) When coming in to land you could almost touch them! I loved this - however if you want absolute quiet probably not the best choice of hotel.
All in all it was OK - if I was to return it would be for leisure, not business, when time is not a factor in your day. Expected more from looking at the website. OK too if you fancy a quirky hotel as opposed to a large standard brand.

Room Tip: Room 3 at the front - nice veranda but you can't use it. Overlooking the offices opposite, so no...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JMarshall1975
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This review is long over due! My husband and I married in July 2011 and had a fantastic time as did all our friends and family. The whole of the day went smoothly thanks to all the staff at the Belle Époque. From the moment we arrived we were greeted with smiles and great manners (nothing beats good manners in my book). The team went out of their way to make us feel taken care.
We booked the whole of the Belle Epoqué from the start of the day right trough to the evening and immediate family (us included) stayed in the rooms. We would totally recommend the venue. Colette was brilliant throughout as our point of contact always reassuring and on top of everything. She recommend great people (especially Nick Campbell the DJ who was amazing and friends have since used)
My personal favourite moment was, having taken a lot longer than expected to have photos done, the chef coming out of the kitchen full plet complaining that he need to serve the food and not realising we were stood right there! Awkward looks all round (stiffled laughter from us) but to us it showed how much pride he was taking in giving us the best food he could....and it really was a wonderful meal.
The only negative was the older gents in the party missed not having a pint of draft bitter!!
We went back on our 1st anniversary and mentioned it to the staff who then gave us the special romantic booth tooked away in the corner...perfect!!
If you are considering the Belle Époque go for it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We ate here at the weekend and where very disappointed with the food, I had the pigs cheek which was fairly tasteless bland attempt. My partner had scallops which was also bland and boring meal served with peas (peas really aren't a high class veg, pretty poor to be honest)..
We thought we would give it a chance and have dessert but was given an over cooked chocolate fondant that was also very plain and bland tasteing..
The place looks tired and we where put in a corner which didn't really help
The only good thing we could say is the chocolate torte was nice.
I wouldn't eat here again, the service was OK but still can't recommend it!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple