“A Fabulous Night in this Enchanting Place”
Review of Belle Epoque

and 1 more site!
Belle Epoque
Ranked #7 of 14 Knutsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I had a treat night away from the children here recently. Its really a restaurant with rooms and a beautiful at that.
We were both wanting something romantic, relaxing and chic. Oh boy did it deliver, our room was spotless and with a view onto the roof garden with a smart and contemporary bathroom, at £115 we thought it was amazing value as you are right in the centre of Knutsford.
We had a walk and a bit of a shop in the town before dinner, which was well worth doing.

The restaurant in the evening was superb, try and have drinks on the roof garden before dinner if you can its amazing. The menu was very interesting with great care taken in the presentation of the food. It rounded off the stay beautifully.

Would highly recommend here as a great "adult" treat.

Room Tip: The train station is in the town centre and is great if you are travelling from Manchester or Cheste...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
CCCCheshire, Owner at Belle Epoque, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Belle Epoque. I'm so glad you you enjoyed you romantic evening and do hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I took my partner to the belle époque for a birthday treat 2 weeks ago and it really was a treat. After reading through the menu a couple of times both my partner and I were drawn to the roasted wood pigeon with a petit pois fricasse and let me tell you it did not disappoint. The pigeon had a lovely crispy skin yet still pink,moist and really tender. We decided to follow our French waiter Jean-Loos' wine recommendation Macon Lughy which was a gorgeous white from Burgundy. For dessert I went for the baked Alaska which was the perfect ending to a beautiful evening. As we were leaving I asked our french waiter what "belle époque" translated to, and he informed me it meant "beautiful era". With great service, food and wine may the beautiful era never be forgotten, cannot wait to return !

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your feed back. I will pass this on to the staff responsible, as I know it is appreciated.
we look forward to seeing you again at the Belle Epoque.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

It is rare that I write hotel reviews but I do write this in the hope that the owners and potential clientele will benefit from it. My partner and I stayed here for my brother's wedding this week.

I phoned to ask but was informed (by a very rude woman I add) that you cannot get into your bedroom to change prior to a wedding. If you have travelled a long way this is just tough. Car parks are not near hotel which is fine if you could get into your room. However, since you cannot check into your room anyway the expectation is obviously that you leave the wedding partway through to walk to your car (some distance away) in your wedding outfits and trek back with your bags. Very unhelpfull. Apparently it takes more then 3 hours to clean 7 rooms despite the cleanliness being poor (see later comments).

We stayed in room 4 and we could not have been more disppointment for the price. There was mould where the shower doors met the base (both sides of the quadrant shower base). It was an electric shower in our room and the top is broken and smashed and clearly has been for some time as it is dirty and mouldy around it. My partner took a photograph as he was worried that electric cables might be exposed. He discovered it was broken when he moved put the shampoo bottle back after washing his hair and there was a hole. The floor boards had large gaps in ( and they are not old original wooden flooring so cannot be excused on the basis of being quirky or grade II listed - rather they are just laid cheaply and badly). The room door lock appeared like it must have been broken off as it was badly fitted back together. Poor plastering and paintwork and general 'tiredness' to the decor. The name and the period it refers to i.e. 20th century perhaps reflects the last time it was refurbished. I note a number of similar complaints some years ago at this hotel and it does not appear to have improved.

The bed in our room was a nice new looking leather bed BUT the mattress was appalling. Very lumpy and extremely soft and uncomfortable. Seriously despite sleeping in many hotels, the worst nights sleep I have ever had. My parents had the same problem in their room. Therefore 2 out of the 7 rooms had a very poor quality bed.

There was also no hairdryer in the room and no mirror over dressing table. Fortunately I always carry my own hairdryer in case. The receptionist suggested there should be one (and yes I did check every drawer and the wardrobe!). Management clearly do not make enough checks for such items. The sockets for a hairdryer also did not work so I had to unplug the television. When I told the reception in the morning they seemed disinterested. The same when my father advised them about the mattress in his room.

No phone in the room either but an empty phone socket. Prices should be different since our room was tiny. Bed against the wall in one side.

The pale beige carpet up to the bedrooms was absolutely FILTHY with dirt and stains and had holes. It clearly had not been cleaned for a long time as it was 'ground in general dirt and muck not e.g. simply a spilt drink. The 'behind the scenes' areas also looked pretty grim. I have photos of my comments here but I cannot upload them currently, it is just hanging. These will be uploaded asap.

Breakfast was ok but seemed to be 'penny pinching' and also cooking the minimum each time and waiting for it to be filled up again and toast not very forthcoming. No willingness to say 'would anyone like more toast/jam/ coffee etc). No option for different eggs either - or not offered anyway and a lot of people in our party preferred fried. Should not have to ask for every little thing in this apparent class of hotel.

Despite being a grade II listed building non of this is excusable. Dirt and poor service have nothing to do with a character building! For £110 per night plus an extra £5 for breakfast I expected a lot more. It is also disappointing that the hotels feels this need to charge and extra £5 for breakfast. Another example of pinching every last penny. I have travelled and stayed in hotels all over the world (for business and pleasure) and to be honest I have stayed in nicer hostels.... backpacker hostels. I do not say this lightly.

In relation to the wedding the hotel also tried to charge extra for wine (£7 per bottle) when the hotel could not provide what had been ordered to begin with. Not acceptable or professional and certainly not making for a "stress free" wedding bringing these things up a week before the day! Unfortunately I don't agree with some of the reviews on this site and found the general impression of the hotel to be a little too profit orientated while cutting corners wherever possible!

The food was ok but nothing special for the price. There are plenty of much nicer and cheaper restaurants and hotels in the Manchester and Cheshire area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank sjw1066

Unfortunately your review is very mis-leading from the start, your intial complaint on the day was that you could not check-in to your room at 11.30am. We politely explained that check-in was at 2.00pm, (as it is with all uk hotels), although if the room was ready earlier we would obviously obligh with an earlier check-in.
The rest of your points vary between being huge embellishments on the facts to being completely untrue.
I will leave fair-minded people to make up their own minds based on other guest reviews and their personal experience of the Belle Epoque.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

Fabulous birthday celebrate at the belle Epoque last week. I had a dragged canapés and champagne on arrival which we enjoyed in the bar area before dinner. Rally enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere in the bar and the charming staff (Jean-luc is great fun) we organised a set menu for our guests as we were a large party, and the menu that had been put together for us was perfect, with something to please everyone and at a very reasonable price too. Lovely surprise to receive a sparkling dessert and a happy birthday from the manager. All in all a very enjoyable evening and will be returning soon.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback regarding your birthday celebration at the Belle Epoque. We are delighted to have helped you make it a special occassion and look forward to many mor to come.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

We held a ladies lunch for 80 people at the Belle Epoque and were thoroughly impressed. Right from the intitial consultation to the decor, food, staff, service, everything was up to the mark. The venue itself has lots of character and doesn't need dressing up. We had fantastic feedback re: the food - quality and portion size. In addition, the staff were most helpful both in the lead up to the event and on the day itself. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Genesis A
CCCCheshire, Owner at Belle Epoque, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure to host your Charity Lunch. Our very best wishes for your future fundraisering.

regards

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Belle Epoque is not only a chic brasserie with a well-curated menu, a fabulous fine dining restaurant with yards of history and a boutique hotel, but an utterly charming Italianate building in the heart of a Georgian market village. Your experience here will be a truly memorable one.
The staff are helpful and friendly, but not ingratiating. The food in both the brasserie and the main restaurant is fresh, local and inspired by the season and classic preparations. All the meats and vegetables are procured from farmers who are established and excel in their fields (excuse the pun). The Belle Epoque's hotel rooms are well designed and elegantly appointed with luxury and efficiency in mind. Great shower pressure (I live in the States so a strong, hot shower (followed by a strong, cold drink!) is of supreme importance to me); super-comfy beds, piled high with duck down duvets and pillows; satellite tv; plenty of room for your bags and hanging area for your suits and frocks.
The bar's just downstairs (for that cold drink following your hot shower) and it's the perfect synthesis of luscious art nouveau stylishness and casual contemporary simplicity. The menu is the same: classic with very current options. Have a glass of Champagne by the fire in this gorgeous bar and adjourn to the restaurant for a culinary extravaganza. You will find yourself back in the bar to finish that Champagne the staff have kept perfectly chilled for your post prandial. They have some of my favorite Champagnes and wines on their extensive list. They also serve up an excellently composed menu of local, seasonal stars such as saddle of deer. You can order a side of chips cooked in beef dripping too, so the menu feels fabulously haute while accessibly yummy.
The ambience is of celebration: the dining room sparkles, however there's an ease and mellowness about the place so you can tuck in and chill out, order a reasonably priced Lebanese or Spanish wine or splurge for an old Burgundy. Have a good chat with the staff or one of the owners who will most certainly make sure you're having the time of your life!
If you're having a private event, there are special rooms separate from the main rooms in the hotel and a beautiful, romantic outdoor area if the weather allows for al fresco dining or celebrating!
An extraordinary hotel and restaurant(s) with all amenities and polish. I'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank cindada

Thank you for your feedback regarding your Charity event held at the Belle Epoque. It was an honour and pleasure to support this worthy cause.

Good luck and kind regards

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Myself and my husband got married at the Belle Epoque on 17th February 2012. We had a wonderful day and are so glad we chose this venue. The ceremony room in particular looked spectacular. It was lovely to have separate rooms for the ceremony, the meal and the evening reception. We've been to so many weddings where we have had to wait for rooms to be changed over, the Belle Epoque is unusual in that you can hire the whole place for the day and have different rooms for different parts of the day.
The staff were very helpful in the lead up to the wedding and on the day. The food was really nice and good quality, so many of our guests complimented it. We booked all the rooms and all were very nice, especially the room we stayed in. I would highly recommend the Belle Epoque as a wedding venue.
We also had two meals in the restaurant in the months before our wedding and the food was high quality and good value. The restaurant is also a lovely setting and we will certainly return for a meal at some point.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple