“A Good Hotel and Spa However...”

The Mere Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
“A Good Hotel and Spa However...”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and really enjoyed the Spa. The room was comfortable and had air con which was needed. The overall experience was good apart from one episode. As me and my girlfriend were driving out of the exit we were confronted bya very rude group of golfers. It started when we were driving down the exit road of the resort when one of the group shouted expletives about the fact I was driving whilst he was taking a putting shot. The language and abuse left us very upset. After informing staff at the resort we were given a blank look. Oh I don't know why this happened Sir. Beware of very territorial and abusive golfers when driving I'm and out of the resort. Other than this it was a good stay.

• Stayed August 2013
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Alan9149
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for sharing your feedback with us.
May I apologise on behalf of The Mere Golf Resort and Spa for the incident that happened upon leaving the resort.
Should you wish to speak to me directly, please do not hesitate to contact me via email lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk or alternatively 01565 830155
Kindest Regards
Lauren Yates

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time at this hotel. Positives:
- check in staff were amazing, really friendly and helpful. They even provided us with some dressings for a cut I had sustained earlier on my finger- for which I am very grateful. Also allowed us to check in a little early as the room was available.
- the room was wonderful! We had a junior suite: which was huge, had a gorgeous bathroom and MASSIVE (very comfy) bed. Another plus for me was that the curtains were very thick, which meant that the room was super dark at night.
- breakfast was lovely
- the spa is AMAZING- I'm a spa lover and these are the best facilities and treatments I have ever experienced. Thank you so much to my therapist, Steph, who was wonderful.
- In general, all staff were very helpful.
- this is a bit odd, but the bedrooms smell amazing! I meant to ask what this was but totally forgot- can you tell me please?
- general decor and cleanliness was superb
- our room was very quiet- I was worried that we would be disturbed by our location next to the carpark andguests from a wedding that was taking place returning to their rooms, but we weren't at all by either - so either they were a very considerate wedding party or we had a very well sound proofed room (or maybe both!)

Only a few negatives:
- service in the golf bar was VERY slow, no matter when we went: we had 2 meals here and a seperate drink. A bit frustrating to be waiting to place your order while 5 staff are congregated at the bar. But really a very minor niggle- we were on holiday so weren't pushed for time and when the food did arrive it was very good.
- we would've liked to have a walk by the mere but weren't allowed- perhaps this could be possible in the evening when the golfers have stopped playing? I understand why it's not possible during the day.
- room service took FOREVER, even to get through took about 30 minutes on hold. When the food did arrive, our order was wrong- to be fair this was rectified, but it was a bit unfortunate after such a long wait.

In general: a WONDERFUL, relaxing stay. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2013
Blackburn
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a busy and popular venue so little chance of checking in early. My wife and I booked restaurant dinner, bed and breakfast and two rounds of golf with YGT for an anniversary treat. On arrival we were immediately impressed by the surroundings and decor and the Pro was pleasant and helpful, readily altering tee times and willing to assist, top marks for him. We played the course and while the front nine was typically parkland the second nine especially the last four were outstanding,with brilliant use of terrain, as you would expect from a James Braid layout. The greens unfortunately had been heavily worked upon and were the worst I have played on in 30 years, On returning to the pro shop to complain the Assistant Pro informed me that they always scarify them at this time of year and was quite dismissive, therefore I went to the Reception Desk with my concern to find a group also complaining. From what I saw they received as little satisfaction as I did, the reception staff being equally dismissive. To clarify the state of the greens, they appeared corrugated and heavily sanded and ponderously slow. I decided I would raise the matter next morning with the Pro but unfortunately he was absent. From a non golfing standpoint everything was excellent, our room was first rate and the bathroom equally excellent, our anniversary was marked with both hand made chocolates in the room and complimentary glasses of sparkling wine at dinner. The staff in the restaurant were very attentive and service from the young staff both efficient and pleasant, the food was better than expected in a hotel, even a first class one. In addition the hotel has a real gem on reception in Dee whose second name should be Lightful, delightful, dreadful pun I know, she coped with me locking myself out of my room and initially misreading my room number with good grace and kindness to spare,apologising for my mistakes and doing her best to stop me feeling a ******* (fill in as appropriate). Other negative points, the tables outside were not wiped clean and a dirty ashtray was left on ours, before our lunch was served. Finally, if you are going to sell golf weekends, when the greens are in that state, please inform potential customers, giving them the opportunity to go elsewhere. I have raised my concern with Your Golf Travel the largest player in the golf breaks market.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SPG13
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

What a wonderful experience we have had a great Wedding venue everything went smoothly for my daughter's wedding 9.8.13 from start to finish due to the professional staff. Meal was delicious nothing was too much trouble all the Mere staff made our special day extra special. I stayed the night before the big day with my daughter and her 4 bridesmaid's and we all had fun in the pool and spa where we were all treated with the same high standard of care. Attention to detail by Danielle our wedding planner was of the highest quality and both my daughter and I felt as though she was a friend on the day. Also Cherish was so helpful the day before setting up the room and also great on the day. We were amazed by how friendly and helpful everyone was even the concierge couldn't have helped us more. My daughter and her new husband didn't want to come home, so ended up staying another night. I can't wait to return again maybe soon for a midweek break. Thank you all so much for our happy day.

Diane and Stewart Owen - Worsley

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the golf course have brilliant views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We hired the mere for our wedding July this year.

The staff where fantastic went above there call of duty on making our day special

They even let's us bring 200 vodka jellys for free which everyone enjoyed

The food

Starter we had prawn and crab which was amazing the main meal ( at our tasting all 4 where very poor if I am honest) we had chicken boring really nothing great. Desert was Eton mess. That was nice

Like I said the wedding day went great

But day after we came to collect our gifts etc and it was just mess everything all over the place we have had a few gifts lost as well which we can't ask our guest to purchase again

So really that really ruined our day

The rooms amazing and breakfast amazing

Room Tip: If you are getting married at the mere ask for the back room for breakfast we had the whole room for...
1 Thank Ben H
Dear Ben H
I was delighted to read that on the whole you, friends and family enjoyed an amazing wedding day here at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa.
I have passed on your comments to Steven Lazarus the Food and Beverage Manager for his attention.
May I apologise on behalf of The Mere Golf Resort and Spa with the confusions/frustration’s you encountered the following day as this is by no means the level of service we wish to deliver to our guests.

Kindest Regards

Lauren Yates
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel has all the makings of a 5* hotel but just overlooks a lot of small things that in my opinion really affect your stay. Good points – staff are all very polite and friendly and the concierge gets a special mention as he is a credit to the hotel. Also the food in the club house was great but do be wary of the overly territorial club members, who seemed perturbed by non-members and I heard making very unnecessary and rude comments about other guests.

The rooms are nice but nothing special and just lack the finesse of a true 5* hotel. The tea and coffee making facilities were poorly stocked, we ordered a twin room and had to pull the beds apart, the TV stopped working twice and we had to call reception, the desk light didn’t work, no bath and we could hear people walking past the room and as we were close to the lift we were disturbed several times.

The main reason I have only given a 3* was due to the lack of air conditioning in the room. It was the 24th July when we stayed and very humid. I don’t particularly feel the heat but even I was melting and my mother really suffered. We did report this to the front desk who promised to manually override the aircon so it went down to 17 degrees instead of the 19 degrees it was stuck on and to bring a fan. We went to dinner and on our return neither had been done. The room did however feel cooler but after an hour we had to call again as it was unbearable and we were brought a fan. I don’t expect to have to call twice, in addition to the issues with the TV, and the room was still too hot with the fan. I did raise my issues on check out and was offered a 20% discount immediately which was helpful but didn’t compensate for the lack of sleep and ensuing tiredness that affected our trip to Tatton Park that day.

I understand the hotel is family run and I hope they take on board my comments as it could have been an enjoyable stay.

3 Thank NJones34
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed here with family for one night a few weeks ago, as a mid-way stopping point on our way up to the Lake District. With extended family living nearby, these seemed a good location for an overnight stay.

All the staff that we met were friendly and helpful. The rooms were large, modern and well-furnished – no complaints. The view you get is dependent on the price you pay – my parents paid extra to look out over the golf course, whilst my room overlooked the car park, but this did not particularly bother me.

The service in the clubhouse bar was a little slow, but that was made up for by being able to sit out in the sun with beautiful views of the golf course whichever way you looked. The tableware was very modern – ‘double glazed’ glasses for hot drinks – which made a nice change! The pro shop were very good at sorting my father out with a hire golf club and balls to go and spend some time on the putting green, and the staff in the on-site spa were very happy for us to have a look around and stick our nose in everything! The pool changing rooms were nicely appointed, and the pool itself was really lovely (though I was surprised to see there was no lifeguard).

The waiting staff in the evening had just had a day ‘learning’ the new menu, and were clearly very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the choices on offer – they were able to easily answer the questions we put to them, and gave sensible recommendations. The value, as well, was good. At breakfast too there was a wide choice of good food on offer.

There was some slight confusion when checking out, as my room somehow had disappeared from the system, but staff worked quickly to resolve the issue and were very apologetic for the delay.

It was a shame we were only able to stay one night – I would definitely return for a longer break.

Room Tip: The more you pay, the better the room. If you want a view over the golf course, you will need to pay...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,382 reviews

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!