“DAUGHTER'S WEDDING - GREAT DAY”

The Mere Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Manchester, United Kingdom
“DAUGHTER'S WEDDING - GREAT DAY”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

What a wonderful experience we have had a great Wedding venue everything went smoothly for my daughter's wedding 9.8.13 from start to finish due to the professional staff. Meal was delicious nothing was too much trouble all the Mere staff made our special day extra special. I stayed the night before the big day with my daughter and her 4 bridesmaid's and we all had fun in the pool and spa where we were all treated with the same high standard of care. Attention to detail by Danielle our wedding planner was of the highest quality and both my daughter and I felt as though she was a friend on the day. Also Cherish was so helpful the day before setting up the room and also great on the day. We were amazed by how friendly and helpful everyone was even the concierge couldn't have helped us more. My daughter and her new husband didn't want to come home, so ended up staying another night. I can't wait to return again maybe soon for a midweek break. Thank you all so much for our happy day.

Diane and Stewart Owen - Worsley

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the golf course have brilliant views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We hired the mere for our wedding July this year.

The staff where fantastic went above there call of duty on making our day special

They even let's us bring 200 vodka jellys for free which everyone enjoyed

The food

Starter we had prawn and crab which was amazing the main meal ( at our tasting all 4 where very poor if I am honest) we had chicken boring really nothing great. Desert was Eton mess. That was nice

Like I said the wedding day went great

But day after we came to collect our gifts etc and it was just mess everything all over the place we have had a few gifts lost as well which we can't ask our guest to purchase again

So really that really ruined our day

The rooms amazing and breakfast amazing

Room Tip: If you are getting married at the mere ask for the back room for breakfast we had the whole room for...
1 Thank Ben H
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Ben H
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for sharing your feedback with us.
I was delighted to read that on the whole you, friends and family enjoyed an amazing wedding day here at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa.
I have passed on your comments to Steven Lazarus the Food and Beverage Manager for his attention.
May I apologise on behalf of The Mere Golf Resort and Spa with the confusions/frustration’s you encountered the following day as this is by no means the level of service we wish to deliver to our guests.
Should you wish to speak to me directly, please do not hesitate to contact me via email lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk or alternatively 01565 830155

Kindest Regards

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel has all the makings of a 5* hotel but just overlooks a lot of small things that in my opinion really affect your stay. Good points – staff are all very polite and friendly and the concierge gets a special mention as he is a credit to the hotel. Also the food in the club house was great but do be wary of the overly territorial club members, who seemed perturbed by non-members and I heard making very unnecessary and rude comments about other guests.

The rooms are nice but nothing special and just lack the finesse of a true 5* hotel. The tea and coffee making facilities were poorly stocked, we ordered a twin room and had to pull the beds apart, the TV stopped working twice and we had to call reception, the desk light didn’t work, no bath and we could hear people walking past the room and as we were close to the lift we were disturbed several times.

The main reason I have only given a 3* was due to the lack of air conditioning in the room. It was the 24th July when we stayed and very humid. I don’t particularly feel the heat but even I was melting and my mother really suffered. We did report this to the front desk who promised to manually override the aircon so it went down to 17 degrees instead of the 19 degrees it was stuck on and to bring a fan. We went to dinner and on our return neither had been done. The room did however feel cooler but after an hour we had to call again as it was unbearable and we were brought a fan. I don’t expect to have to call twice, in addition to the issues with the TV, and the room was still too hot with the fan. I did raise my issues on check out and was offered a 20% discount immediately which was helpful but didn’t compensate for the lack of sleep and ensuing tiredness that affected our trip to Tatton Park that day.

I understand the hotel is family run and I hope they take on board my comments as it could have been an enjoyable stay.

3 Thank NJones34
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed here with family for one night a few weeks ago, as a mid-way stopping point on our way up to the Lake District. With extended family living nearby, these seemed a good location for an overnight stay.

All the staff that we met were friendly and helpful. The rooms were large, modern and well-furnished – no complaints. The view you get is dependent on the price you pay – my parents paid extra to look out over the golf course, whilst my room overlooked the car park, but this did not particularly bother me.

The service in the clubhouse bar was a little slow, but that was made up for by being able to sit out in the sun with beautiful views of the golf course whichever way you looked. The tableware was very modern – ‘double glazed’ glasses for hot drinks – which made a nice change! The pro shop were very good at sorting my father out with a hire golf club and balls to go and spend some time on the putting green, and the staff in the on-site spa were very happy for us to have a look around and stick our nose in everything! The pool changing rooms were nicely appointed, and the pool itself was really lovely (though I was surprised to see there was no lifeguard).

The waiting staff in the evening had just had a day ‘learning’ the new menu, and were clearly very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the choices on offer – they were able to easily answer the questions we put to them, and gave sensible recommendations. The value, as well, was good. At breakfast too there was a wide choice of good food on offer.

There was some slight confusion when checking out, as my room somehow had disappeared from the system, but staff worked quickly to resolve the issue and were very apologetic for the delay.

It was a shame we were only able to stay one night – I would definitely return for a longer break.

Room Tip: The more you pay, the better the room. If you want a view over the golf course, you will need to pay...
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed 2 nights for a relaxing short break, we arrived a bit early for check in and the receptionist asked if we wanted to sit in the bar while we waited, this we did and it had a really lovely view across the golf course and lake, also had a really nice lunch while we waited.

Our room was perfect, it was spacious, clean with modern decor but it was the spa that really made the visit. A really good selection of thermal rooms, the showers and pool were spotless and staff were friendly. Will definitely be coming back to un-wind here again.

I also recommend visiting Tatton Park its only a 5 minute drive away and is great for a leisurely stroll in the countryside.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emma B
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Emma B
Thank you for taking the time to write a view of our beautiful hotel.
It would appear that you came to The Mere in search of relaxation and recuperation and by reading your wonderful review, it would seem that that’s exactly what you both experienced and more so how you left feeling.
I will certainly pass on all your kind comments to the members of staff at The Spa. I am sure they will be delighted to know that their strong customer service skills were recognised.
We hope to welcome you both back very soon.
Kind Regards
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

A group of us stayed at this hotel in April 2013 for my sisters 40th birthday and had a fabulous time!! The staff could not be friendlier. They were very welcoming and helpful, and appeared to genuinely enjoy what they do. We arrived on the Saturday for a light lunch followed by spa and golf. First of all we checked out our rooms and dropped off our overnight bags, lovely double room for the hubby and I, with a great view over looking the lake and putting green. The room was impressive and clean upon first impression, but with a closer inspection I found the chaise lounge to be rather grubby and the cute little cuddly toy, which was cleverly a 'mere' cat had something sticky on it which resembled jam, likely to be from the previous guests breakfast in bed (i presume). I will admit to be being fussy but on this occasion didn't want to make a fuss so i removed the cuddly toy and placed it out of the way and covered up the chaise lounge with cushions. I did inspect the entire room and bathroom after discovering these little disappointments, but glad to say the towels, bedding and rest of the room was spotless!!! All of the other guests were more than happy with their rooms. We had 6 rooms in total including a Junior Suite. The guys enjoyed their golf but even as 'occasional' golfers, they said they expected the course to be a little more challenging. It was a nice course but not sure if they'd pay that much to play on it again. The spa was amazing, could not fault it and we all thoroughly enjoyed it, lots of facilities, in fact the spa probably offered more than any other spa I've been to. Changing rooms spotless! I didn't have a treatment but some of the others did and were happy with them. We had a meal in Browns on the evening and the food was delicious. There was a pianist playing and he was happy to chat and have a giggle with us playing our requests of Clair de lune and as a joke 'the flintsones' . We had more time in the spa the following morning after a very nice breakfast with lots to choose from including cooked, fresh fruit, cereals and pastries. The men joined us in the spa on this day too and they also thoroughly enjoyed it. Although some of us were local, some guests travelled from Peterborough and Birmingham. I only live 15 mins away but felt like I was a million miles away!! A really relaxing and enjoyable break. Would highly recommend and yes I would stay there again, even being so close to home!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cabs7378
Dear Cabs7378
Thank you for taking the time to share your guest experience with us.
We here at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa value all our guest feedback as it is vital to the development and growth of our business.
I have passed on your comments regarding the bedroom to our Senior Housekeeping Manager for their urgent attention.
We pride ourselves on delivering the highest standard’s, service and products so I am confident this is an isolated incident, however unacceptable.
Should you wish to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk
I always feel it’s a huge compliment when guests who live so close choose to stay with us and most importantly enjoy the experience enough to return.
Should you wish to return again please feel free to make me aware of your arrival date and I shall personally introduce myself and welcome you back.
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Mere.
Kindest Regards
Manchester
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed on a Friday night as a couple on a deal, to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Check-in was smooth and we were delighted to have a lovely room overlooking the golf course at the back with a balcony. As well as some chocolates and fizz in our room to celebrate!

The spa was great, quite busy but the various thermal rooms were great. We ate in Browns in the evening - lovely food and friendly staff. Breakfast was hot and lots to chose from.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to have a short break, it's a great place to go to unwind. I would imagine it would be busy for breakfast etc if there was a wedding taking place.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently upgraded room at the back of the hotel which overlooks the lake
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SunnyFamily
Dear SunnyFamily
Thank you for taking the time to share your guest journey with us.
I am delighted that you were pleased with your allocated bedroom complete with balcony (my personal favourite)
Such a great way to spend a special Wedding Anniversary, I hope that we here at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa helped create some wonderful memories for you both.
We do hope that you will be back to see us again very soon.
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Mere.
Best Wishes
Lauren Yates
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
#4 of 5 in Wilmslow
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!