“Perfect romantic getaway”

The Mere Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was our second visit to the mere, it has perfect rooms, outstanding service and excellent food. The spa is one of the most relaxing we have ever been to.Overall it is a very romantic getaway and we would recommended it to all.

2  Thank Robbie4033
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Robbie4033,
Thank you for choosing The Mere Golf Resort and Spa to enjoy a romantic getaway.
I am delighted you enjoyed your special time with us and have returned again for a second treat since.
I will certainly pass on your kind words and feedback to all the team here at The Mere.
Should you decide to book again, please do feel free let me know and I will make a note in my diary lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk - I will ensure that once again you are both looked after.
Best Wishes
Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,294)

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed for one night in one of the junior suites (room 103) which was a lovely, spacious, clean room, modern decor, well equipped, had a comfortable bed and the mini bar was well stocked. There was a big negative though, the room was very dark even with the four windows, because we were on the ground floor (which felt more like a basement) and with a view of the car park we had to keep the curtains closed most of the time as cars directly facing into the room with people sitting in them staring in was rather off putting.

We didn't see much of the hotel, we were exhausted after a long drive so ordered room service for dinner which was lovely and also for breakfast which was average.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful and the overall impression of the hotel was very good. I would stay there again but not on the ground floor overlooking the car park that's for sure!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Excellent bar and terrace, good food in any of the three serving locations, Spa, Club lounge or Browns. Decent gym and pool. sumptuous guest rooms. Worth a vist and if you are a golfer the best course for miles around. Service has always been idiosyncratic in the Club lounge or Atrium previously but if you can see through the more "Mediterranean" level of attentiveness you will never be disappointed. Service is red hot in Browns and if you go for a big event, well they serve 500 people with superb food, on time and delicious.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I booked a spa day for two with Lunch at The Mere and it was one of the best spa days I have had!

The pool and changing rooms were spotless and constantly replenished with fluffy towels. the pool and steam rooms etc were some of the best I have seen. The staff on reception in the spa lounge were helpful and friendly. The staff in the beauty rooms were particularly lovely.

My niece and I felt thoroughly relaxed when we left and will be back....we done all at The Mere!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear M G,
Thank you for choosing The Mere Golf Resort and Spa for your relaxing spa day.
I will certainly pass on all your great feedback to the team in The Spa and let them know that all their hard work and efforts is noticed and appreciated by our valued customers such as yourselves.
Thank you once again, and we hope you will be back to see us all again soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Arrived on a Thursday in July 2013.
I was in a group of 8 who were due to tee off at 13-21 but our rooms were not ready, this meant we had to leave our bags in the car.
Golf was good but very slow (5hours 45mins).
The surroundings on the golf course were great, with a lake and massive houses surrounding the golf course.
ROOMS - Our room following our check in at 19-45 was modern, clean, tidy and exactly what you would expect. Flat screen tv, tea/coffee facilities.
RESTAURANT - Evening meal, this was good but most items on the menu had a surcharge. The pepper sauce was in a very small pot and charged at £3.75, the surcharge for the rib eye steak was £3. Customers do not want surcharges!!
BREAKFAST - Choice of full english and continental.
STAFF - All staff we encountered were polite.

Overall - It was a good hotel and it did everything it said on the tin.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear BottmanFamily,
Thank you for choosing The Mere Golf Resort and Spa and taking the time to write a review.
Our check-in time is from 2pm so I am sorry on this occasion we weren’t able to allocate you a room prior to golf at 13:21pm however I am confident the reception staff would have done everything possible to try and get you checked-in early should they have had the rooms to do so.
It sounds like on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us which is great news,
We hope you will be back soon and perhaps when you do you can sample our new and refined menu in our Browns Restaurant.
Kindest Regards

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in May and for the most part had an enjoyable stay. I had requested a quiet room, which we were given and it was also our wedding anniversary so the plate of delicious chocolates that had been placed in the room were a very nice touch.

The hotel is beautifully decorated and rooms are well appointed. We were lucky to stay during a period of glorious weather so enjoyed having drinks outside with some of the golf members who were a hoot!!! The restaurant is nice but in my opinion is massively overpriced. It is essentially in the lobby, which when quiet wouldn't be a problem. However we happened to be eating when there were some rather noisy wedding guests passing to and fro and making alot of noise. Not really what you want when you're trying to enjoy dinner.

The spa is fabulous. Great pool and sun beds outside, which we were able to relax on in the beautiful sunshine.

Staff were hit and miss. The young waiting staff in the clubhouse bar were great, the barman in Browns bar was lovely and looked after us all evening. Some if the reception staff could do with being reminded that they are customer facing and a smile goes a long way.

The main reason for my 4 stars and not 5 is down to housekeeping. There was a awful smell in our room and what should have been a double bed was two singles pushed together. That's fine, I know most hoteks do this but the topper that should have been on had been missed, resulting in two very poor nights' sleep and the pair of us rolling down into the middle!

I wasn't very satisfied with how my complaint about that was handled at the time or in the following days when I persued it. However, after speaking with the general manager, my faith in The Mere has been restored and we will give it another chance.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear RGAnderson,
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest and valuable feedback, we take all aspects of feedback as a positive as it helps us to correct any errors or issues and grow accordingly to our guest’s requirements.
I am pleased to learn that on the whole you enjoyed a pleasant stay with us and by speaking with our Operations Manager he was thankfully able to restore your faith in us.
I would be delighted to meet you and perhaps, should you decide to book again, please do feel free let me know and I will make a note in my diary lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk

Reviewed July 13, 2013

From the moment we drove through the historic gateway and saw the tasteful new buildings which replaced part of the old hotel destroyed by fire, we knew this would be a treat. We were not wrong. The reception area is an orangery containing a lovely restaurant which gives a taste of the good things to come around the hotel and spa. Everything was first class- staff, food, location, ambience, rooms. Would recommend to anyone, even if they don't play golf!

Dear Godoit
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on our relatively new establishment.
A lot of hard work and consideration went into the planning and design of how to compliment both the existing and the new part of the building.
It was so lovely to read that you noticed the work gone into ensuring we still maintained the character and charm of what once was.
I was delighted to read that you wouldn’t hesitate to return to us again.
Should you decide to book this, please let me know and I will make a note in my diary lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk
Lauren Yates

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
1 mi away
#1 of 1 in Broxton
The Chester Grosvenor
The Chester Grosvenor
#3 of 45 in Chester

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!