“Lovely weekend break”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely weekend break”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We went to The Mere with another couple as a birthday treat and I have to say we couldn't have picked better! On checking in the staff were friendly and efficient. Our two rooms were adjacent to each other which was nice as when booking two rooms you don't always get this. The rooms themselves were spacious and nicely furnished (with nice toiletries in the bathroom - not essential but always a plus!) And i have to say the beds were very comfy indeed. We ate In browns restaurant that evening and all agreed the food was delicious. We spent a very pleasant evening in the bar and found the bar staff to be very friendly. Breakfast the next morning was good with a generous selection. The grounds around the hotel are stunning and there is a beautiful patio to sit on overlooking the lake (unfortunately the weather was against us to take advantage of it!) We then spent several hours in the Spa and this is a real gem. I had a heavenly massage and after your treatment there is a nice quiet room to relax in. The pool is lovely with sun loungers and a sauna and steam rooms and jacuzzi. We then went back in to the main hotel and ordered food from the bar which again was very good.

Overall we couldn't have asked for more - the hotel is second to none made even better by the friendliness and efficiency of the staff. We can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Myself and family stayed at the Mere hotel for a weekend break.
From the moment we arrived we were met with extremely friendly staff this including the reception, bar, restaurants(both), spa and room service. The whole hotel was run so
efficiently but with a lovely relaxed atmosphere.
Our room was very spacious, clean and furnished to a very high standard.
We ate at both of the restaurants dinner and breakfast and found all the meals were excellent.
All in all we couldnt find fault in our experience there, and can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tins171
Bolton
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights whilst attending a Wedding, on arrival i was looking forward to a pleasent stay and evening meal with the wedding party , the room was comfy and the staff i encountered on arrival were proffesional and courtious, however we were asked to dine at 7pm as we had my Godchildren with us and a friend and her son we adhered to the request then waited over an hour for the childrens meals the second part of the party sat down at 8pm and we still had no food one hour and 10 minutes later the chicken nuggets and chips arrived,
however the food we recieved was cold In spoke with the young lady on the floor who argued back!!!!!!! it is obvious the team you have in the restaurant are young and have not had the training they deserve the manager tom davies was around but was certainly not taking control of the situation. The wedding day approached and i would like to comment on the staff in the banqueting area they were excellent as was the food a good day had by all. Sunday morning back to inexperienced staff and a very rushed breakfast although not for the fried eggs as they took 20 mins to cook!!!!!!!!!!!! I payed for my room only to discover this morning they were trying to take another payment from my account as the authorisation had not been reversed so really the attention to detail is non exsistance in this Hotel, i have emailed the Manager Tom davies but am still awaiting his reply!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank BoltonBoltonian
Tom D, Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank-you for taking the time to feedback on your recent experience, as mentioned to you on the phone we are sorry your stay didn’t meet all your expectations. We are very pleased however that our staff looked after you and the wedding day was brilliant.

I know from speaking to both the bride and the groom they thoroughly enjoyed their stay and couldn’t speak highly enough about the staff and the service.

We will take your points on board and improve.

Many thanks

Tom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed at the mere for an overnight spa package with my husband. I would go as far as saying it is one of the best hotels in the uk that I have stayed in apart from one thing.
When we entered the spa all the beds were occupied or should i say had towels on them so we sat on the chairs and read our magazines ,which we didn't have a problem with. After our massages we found some empty beds and put our dressing gowns and towels down while we went in the jacuzzi. On our return we found our beds occupied by other guests and a member of spa staff leaving the room with our gowns and towels screwed up ready to be disposed of. I had my iPhone and watch in my gown pocket and had to shout out to stop him leaving with them. My husband complained to a gentleman at the desk but I did not have anybody approach me to apologise. Shame as everything else was so perfect.

• Stayed March 2013
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We booked this hotel for the night before flying on holiday - golf in the afternoon to start, relax in the spa to reheat the bones after golf in near freezing temperature, dinner, sleep, then up at 4am for 6.10am flight. The only bad part was the "up at 4am"!!!
The golf course was in superb condition despite recent inclement weather and we had a superb round.
The spa was everything a spa should be: clean, lovely large pool, various heat/steam/aroma rooms, great "shower jet" into jacuzzi area that was as good as a back massage. Unfortunately this was my partner's first experience of such things - he will be seriously disappointed at the next one!!
The only disappointment with dinner was that the restaurant was nearly empty. You could not fault the food; the staff managed to be both completely efficient and friendly at the same time without being at all intrusive (they deserve double whatever they get!)
The room was large, well equipped, clean - everything a room should be.
4am was exactly as bad as I expected!!! Luckily, as we were on DB&B, the staff went the extra miile and arranged a small packed breakfast for us to take to the airport with us.
Who could ask for more?? We will definitely be back - next time without the "up at 4am".

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We are regulars at The Spa Hotel at Ribby Hall Village, this was fully booked so decided to give Mere a go. We went with high expectations, and found it very difficult not to compare.
Where do I start.......
Well the room was nice, large enough and clean. Only issue was we booked a twin room and the 2 beds were together, not a big problem, pulled the beds apart.
The spa, personally I felt needed 'tarting' up a little, tiles missing, rusty shower around the pool (also little ant type things above this shower) If you are looking at relaxing around the pool for the afternoon, just note that children do get use of the pool between 4-6. Also there is no where near enough loungers.
The spa restaurant menu is limited, not a great deal to choose from. I ordered a club sandwich, never have I found these to have egg on them! I told the waitress that I am unable to eat eggs, she took away and said she will get a new one ordered. 5
Minutes later she comes back with what I thought was a fresh sandwich. Oh no this was the same one which was now stone cold but with most of the egg scraped off, but the yolk was all over the toast. I don't like to complain so just picked at what I could eat - not really the standard I expected.
We ate at Browns on the 1st night, i was expecting an actual restaurant, buts its located in the lobby. Had steak, this was ok but needed seasoning, also no steak knife was provided, again not something you expect to have to ask for.
We ate in the club lounge on the 2nd night, I thought the food in here was much better than Browns, personal opinion I suppose.
The breakfast was lovely although the service wasn't terrific, little slow.
The main thing in what I think Mere lacks is the personal touch. The staff at Ribby are second to none, they go the extra mile to make your stay unforgettable, yes Ribby is much smaller, BUT they have a lot less staff which probably balances this out.
Would I return?.....probably not.

• Stayed March 2013
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is a beautifully modern hotel worthy of its 5 star status. The staff are friendly and we particularly liked the fact you are always asked for your name not your room number, which adds a personal touch. The room was very well equipped and comfortable. The only slight niggle of the whole stay was the room wasn't warm enough, although it was very cold outside. Even with the thermostat at 28 degrees it was warm rather than hot. We did report this but it didn't change, so it must have been us! The food was excellent, the wine decently priced, but the drinks were expensive in the bar. The spa and pool facilities are excellent however the seating around the pool/sauna etc is limited and in great demand. We enjoyed our spa treatments. All in all we had great time, very relaxing, and would definitely recommend and return to

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!