“Spa area. Helen”

The Mere Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
“Spa area. Helen”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed at the mere for an overnight spa package with my husband. I would go as far as saying it is one of the best hotels in the uk that I have stayed in apart from one thing.
When we entered the spa all the beds were occupied or should i say had towels on them so we sat on the chairs and read our magazines ,which we didn't have a problem with. After our massages we found some empty beds and put our dressing gowns and towels down while we went in the jacuzzi. On our return we found our beds occupied by other guests and a member of spa staff leaving the room with our gowns and towels screwed up ready to be disposed of. I had my iPhone and watch in my gown pocket and had to shout out to stop him leaving with them. My husband complained to a gentleman at the desk but I did not have anybody approach me to apologise. Shame as everything else was so perfect.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We booked this hotel for the night before flying on holiday - golf in the afternoon to start, relax in the spa to reheat the bones after golf in near freezing temperature, dinner, sleep, then up at 4am for 6.10am flight. The only bad part was the "up at 4am"!!!
The golf course was in superb condition despite recent inclement weather and we had a superb round.
The spa was everything a spa should be: clean, lovely large pool, various heat/steam/aroma rooms, great "shower jet" into jacuzzi area that was as good as a back massage. Unfortunately this was my partner's first experience of such things - he will be seriously disappointed at the next one!!
The only disappointment with dinner was that the restaurant was nearly empty. You could not fault the food; the staff managed to be both completely efficient and friendly at the same time without being at all intrusive (they deserve double whatever they get!)
The room was large, well equipped, clean - everything a room should be.
4am was exactly as bad as I expected!!! Luckily, as we were on DB&B, the staff went the extra miile and arranged a small packed breakfast for us to take to the airport with us.
Who could ask for more?? We will definitely be back - next time without the "up at 4am".

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa.
I was delighted to learn of your enjoyable stay with us.
I do hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Kind Regards
Manchester
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We are regulars at The Spa Hotel at Ribby Hall Village, this was fully booked so decided to give Mere a go. We went with high expectations, and found it very difficult not to compare.
Where do I start.......
Well the room was nice, large enough and clean. Only issue was we booked a twin room and the 2 beds were together, not a big problem, pulled the beds apart.
The spa, personally I felt needed 'tarting' up a little, tiles missing, rusty shower around the pool (also little ant type things above this shower) If you are looking at relaxing around the pool for the afternoon, just note that children do get use of the pool between 4-6. Also there is no where near enough loungers.
The spa restaurant menu is limited, not a great deal to choose from. I ordered a club sandwich, never have I found these to have egg on them! I told the waitress that I am unable to eat eggs, she took away and said she will get a new one ordered. 5
Minutes later she comes back with what I thought was a fresh sandwich. Oh no this was the same one which was now stone cold but with most of the egg scraped off, but the yolk was all over the toast. I don't like to complain so just picked at what I could eat - not really the standard I expected.
We ate at Browns on the 1st night, i was expecting an actual restaurant, buts its located in the lobby. Had steak, this was ok but needed seasoning, also no steak knife was provided, again not something you expect to have to ask for.
We ate in the club lounge on the 2nd night, I thought the food in here was much better than Browns, personal opinion I suppose.
The breakfast was lovely although the service wasn't terrific, little slow.
The main thing in what I think Mere lacks is the personal touch. The staff at Ribby are second to none, they go the extra mile to make your stay unforgettable, yes Ribby is much smaller, BUT they have a lot less staff which probably balances this out.
Would I return?.....probably not.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is a beautifully modern hotel worthy of its 5 star status. The staff are friendly and we particularly liked the fact you are always asked for your name not your room number, which adds a personal touch. The room was very well equipped and comfortable. The only slight niggle of the whole stay was the room wasn't warm enough, although it was very cold outside. Even with the thermostat at 28 degrees it was warm rather than hot. We did report this but it didn't change, so it must have been us! The food was excellent, the wine decently priced, but the drinks were expensive in the bar. The spa and pool facilities are excellent however the seating around the pool/sauna etc is limited and in great demand. We enjoyed our spa treatments. All in all we had great time, very relaxing, and would definitely recommend and return to

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa.
I was delighted to learn of your enjoyable stay with us.
I do hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Kind Regards
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I and my partner stayed at The Mere for 1 night as we were attending a wedding in Knutsford. The hotel is modern on the inside and tastefully decorated. The reception staff were efficient and friendly and allowed us to check in early. Our room was spacious. well furnished and the bed was huge. However, if I was to be picky the standard of cleanliness particularly in the bathroom fell below par. There were numerous stains on the walls and the door with some debris left behind under a shelf. Unfortunately, the one thing you cannot legislate for is who your neighbours are. We realise that there was a wedding in the hotel but it would be so nice if people could be considerate of others when walking past talking loudly in the wee hours of the morning. Also, our room was directly across from the cleaning staff's office where the staff quite happily chatted about their work and kept noisily closing the door as well as moving their equipment about. Not what you really want to hear at 7.30 in the morning! Would we stay here again? May be but only if we were guaranteed a quiet room.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 227 unless you want to be really really close to the cleaning staff.
1 Thank sarah123_13
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel on a two night easter package as we were attending a wedding at Mere with my Son and Wife. It got off to a real bad start we had a meal included which we had in the restaurant and the food was sub standard and not something I would expect of a place like Mere, I ordered Mussels for starter which were cold, the mains were bland and not edible. Not only that with a 2 year old child in tow we had to wait over one hour for our mains to be delivered. After making numerous complaints nobody took ownership and not once was I offered any good will. Disappointed and wont be staying here again despite the facilities being lovely. Staff are in need of hospitality training and development of dealing with complaints.

Surrey UK
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The hotel is very modern, the reception is what was once an inner courtyard which has been roofed over and gives a lovely blending of the old part of the hotel with a modern style. Reception staff were excellent, friendly and efficient, and gave us a brief heads up on what was where as this was a first visit.

Our room was on the ground floor, a little bit of walk from reception and overlooking a pleasant small garden area. The room also modern in decor, very nicely done to a high standard, lots of lighting options so you could make it perfect. All the amenities you would expect, climate control, hairdryer, safe, mini bar, tea and coffee facilities (with a good amount of basic tea and coffee plus some other tea options), flat screen TV and the most adorable little MereKat toy on the bed (very cute!). There is a plentiful range of wardrobes and drawers for those staying a few nights, and the room was nice and spacious. Bed was very comfortable.

Bathroom was done to an equally high standard, granite tops on the double sink, and underfloor heating. Fluffy white bath sheets and a selection of toiletries. The only niggle would be the shower, the water pressure was somewhat feeble and the temperature changeable although thankfully not to extremes.

We ate in the club lounge, this having been pointed out as more casual than the main restaurant, and can recommend the steak and kidney pudding, the chips particularly were lovely -freshly home made !

Breakfast was good, quite a wide selection of options hot and cold, cereals, fruit, pastries, and the usual range of hot stuff, mostly self serve but if you wanted your eggs done differently to scrambled they were happy to make them to order for you. Surprisingly good coffee.

We will be back, the location is great with speedy access to the motorway network around manchester and we were very pleased with the room, and the hotel in general.

3 Thank K_M_Leon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
#4 of 5 in Wilmslow
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!