“lovely setting”

The Mere Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Reviewed February 16, 2013

we stayed at the hotel on friday and saturday night as we were attending a wedding there that weekend, the room was a good size and the bed very comfy. We ate at the hotel restaurant on our first night, the food was fantastic. The hotel staff were very attentive and polite. Breakfast was a buffet style and there was plenty to chose from. we enjoyed a lovely stroll around the grounds before the wedding and the views of the lake were great. All the staff involved in the wedding were excellent and overall we had a lovely weekend.

1  Thank couple038

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here, for two nights b & b, for a valentines break, everything we could of wished for and much more, superb food in club lounge and browns restaurant, the spa facilities are a must, drinks by the pool, and afternoon tea, were very pleasant , all members of staff were so friendly, and helpful, nothing was a problem, that serve a brilliant latte , for coffee fans, and the seared tuna niscoise, in the club lounge was Devine. A must stay........ You won't be disappointed

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Jakeo2319
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked this hotel for what should have been a last minute one night stay for 15/2/13 for 2 adults and 1 child(aged 9) through booking.com. Whilst proceeding through the booking it confirmed number of people & the small print confirmed children under 12 stayed free, child o/12 £ etc. The following morning I received a call stating there was a charge of £35 for the child - no welcome hello or introduction of who the caller was - I had to ask who was calling! I advised of above but was told it was policy for the hotel to ring to confirm the extra fee. I questioned this as the small print stated child free & I was advised that is only if the existing beds were used and as this was a double room there was a charge for an extra bed. From a customer perspective and past experience with booking.com by entering the number of guests I assumed we would all have a bed to sleep? I was advised that if the child slept in the double bed with us there wouldn't be a charge. The young lady stated she would speak with her manager & call me back. Two minutes later I received a return call, no introduction again. She had spoken with her supervisor the fee stood & she then explained how I should have interpreted the small print (I'm not sure that is what trading standards would have expected of me.) She then stated it wasn't the hotels error it was booking.com and they would be contacting them later that day. I may have considered paying the additional fee had the small print not have been so misleading and if I had been treated with some courtesy. Very disappointing service. Perhaps some customer service training is required.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank liza10
Tom D, Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry to hear that you felt you had to cancel your stay with us here at The Mere Golf Resort & Spa. The procedure is to call all of our guests prior to arrival when an extra bed has been requested to confirm the cost of extra beds and cots and to also enquire whether the guest would like to book dinner etc. I have checked and confirm that whilst the extra bed charges are stated on the third party websites it may not have been clear to you. I am looking at ways to make this very clear to our bookers.

The extra bed charge is relatively standard throughout the industry and the charge does include the child’s breakfast.

We have had the same reservations team here since opening so I am saddened to hear that you felt your experience was less than positive as we have received many excellent customer feedback on the helpfulness of our reservations team, we see this team as integral to our business as we appreciate this is your first welcome from us.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight you’re issues and I do hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you to the Mere in the future so you can experience the wonderful facilities we have to offer.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I booked into the Mere for an overnight stay (sat 9th feb) as we were attending a wedding that was being held here. On arrival we were greeted with friendly staff. The wedding itself was fantastic, from ceremony ,wedding breakfast through to the evening Buffett . The staff were very helpfull . On entering our room I thought it had the wow factor, the bed was so comfortable, there were fresh towels ample space in the shower and the whole decor of our room was lovely.The following morning when I pulled back the curtains I was greeted with a fantastic view of the lake. Breakfast was lovely, there was so much to choose from and we could not fault it at all, the staff were very prompt on showing us to our table and providing us with tea/coffee and toast.my only regret is we didn't have time to use the spa but maybe we may get the chance to visit again. IDE like to say a big thank you and well done to all the staff at the Mere hotel for making our time a pleasant stay .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Popped in again for a return visit to The Mere and wasn't disappointed in the slightest. We had a drink in the spa lounge before heading to their club lounge for dinner. We were instantly seen and welcomed by Duncan who is always so friendly whenever we pop in. They happily put up with my food substitutions, so much so that I felt I had created my own meal completely off the menu. The food was amazing and there was plenty of it- we would especially recommend their fish and chips meal which was easily the money!
Great service, great food and such a friendly atmosphere. Will definitely be returning as soon as we can.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Mere. The staff made us feel very welcome in all areas of the hotel. We loved the stylish decor in the public areas and our Mere view room. The Spa was one of the best we have experienced, large pool and luxury steam rooms etc. My husband used the gym, very well equipped. I had two treatments, a back massage, then a break in the relaxation room before an excellent facial, both therapists were very friendly and caring. We dined in Browns, a great seasonal menu, my dessert of ginger and passionfruit alaska was memorable!
We enjoyed our breakfast then sadly had to check out, we would have been very happy to stay longer, this hotel is well worth a visit for a luxury break.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Having looked forward to visiting mere for some time I was dismayed at the service, food and hotel TV - only the pool was a slight reprieve. Upon being checked in I decided to visit the leisure club or rather a leisure club with a prison desk. The blond haired lady was incredibly intimidating and her her colleague was flicking her bobble around! The changing rooms and spectacular poolside made me feel better especially the heated pool and jets. This uplift was short lived, no one was manning the leisure bar and after asking for service, scary blond haired lady tried her best to get staff but then giggled with her colleague while looking at me -fantastic service! Her colleague was short with dark hair and ponytail just in case management read this. The hotel rooms are nice but the teles channels only had half working. Club lounge restaurant is a beautiful setting but food and service were poor. 50min wait and confusion amongst the staff respectively. If the owners of this resort live away from it I suggest they come for a closer look, as the setting and facilities give this place potential but whoever is in charge either doesn't care or doesn't know what there doing

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank LisaAnn1972
Tom D, Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank-you for taking the time to review The Mere and also choosing to stay with us recently. We are going to carry out an investigation into your stay – it would be most appreciated if you could contact us so we can ascertain the facts. We are sincerely sorry for the way you felt during your stay; as you can see from the reviews below this is far from our normal operating standards.

The Mere is a family owned resort and we pride ourselves on our normally high levels of customer service for which we have won many awards.

I do hope your recent visit hasn’t deterred you from future stays with us; as I know you will be impressed.

Please feel free to contact me directly on 01565 830 155,

Many thanks

Tom

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
1 mi away
#1 of 1 in Broxton
The Chester Grosvenor
The Chester Grosvenor
#4 of 45 in Chester

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!