“New year eve in style”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Manchester, United Kingdom
“New year eve in style”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

me and my fiancé and parents booked 2 rooms for the black and white themed ball on new years eve.

when you first arrive at the mere you are greeted with lovely views all round.

the rooms are very very spacious and well maintained, comfy beds nice seating area and nice bathrooms.

the night time event ran so smooth its untrue, welcome drinks of champagne and then into the james braid suite for evening meal and entertainment.

the only slight downfall and i hate to pick up on this was our table was made up for only 3 people and 3 chairs and there was 4 of us, so i was stood for 5 minutes or so till this was rectified.

the staff was very apologetic and brought us over a bottle of complimentary wine, which was a very nice gesture.

all staff throughout go that extra touch to greet you and are very friendly.

food was really nice for the evening meal and for breakfast in browns restaurant.

we also made use of the excellent spa facilities nice pool jacuzzi and steam/sauna rooms etc plenty of different room to relax in.

it was the best way to spend new years eve and we will defiantly be back next year to spend time there again, we were that impressed we are going to stay again shortly and my fiancé has started thinking about plans to hold our wedding there.

absolute 5 star treatment here

thanks for a wonderful stay

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We attended a wedding reception here and stayed overnight. It was well organised and the food was lovely. The meat was individual lamb loin/steaks not sliced roast lamb as I expected. The lamb was pink, tender and full of flavour, just as it should be. The evening buffet was just as good. We had a lovely room with a massive comfy bed, just a shame we were only there overnight. Evening music was a bit too loud, ending up with a sore throat with shouting to be heard. Forgot our swimming things so were unable to take advantage of the spa. We had a fabulous day. Breakfast was a poorer showing with scrambled eggs taking forever to appear after asking twice for them and the bacon etc was luke warm. The wedding party had a sideroom and think the main breakfast area got preference. The breakfast experience marred an otherwise brilliant weekend. The service 3 reflects the breakfast not the wedding food.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I'm lucky enough to have spent about 8 weeks staying in the Mere Monday to Friday throughout September and October this year, and can honestly say it is Excellent...

The spa is superb, the gym facility is clean, modern, fresh, has an excellent swim-able pool, amazing hammam, good weights and aerobics equipment, and enve a spinning class which residents can use.

Rooms are well appointed, and the Mere Cat guard adds to the sense of the place being something a little special when compared to your average business hotel.

The food in the main dinning area is of a high quality (if the ambiance can be a little odd at times), and I recommend the banoffee dessert ! Food in the bar again is high quality, and tasty (although here the bar is let down by a lack of comfy sofas to sit in).

In our 8 weeks we were well looked after by the reception team, who were friendly, helpful and attentive.

Hotel wifi can be a pain (the signal is not too strong, but was in the process of being upgraded)

I'm told by colleagues who play golf the course is excellent too...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had a great night at an annual ball we attend at Mere - this was the first year the hotel was available as an alternative to a 40 minute taxi home so we jumped at the opportunity. The venue and its ability to host a huge event were (from our perspective) just as successful as previous years but the hotel made the night an absolute winner - very comfortable, beautifully furnished and decorated with extremely comfortable beds and a high quality buffet breakfast the next morning. We will certainly stay again next year - I'm only glad we were part of the function though, and not attempting a quiet weekend away...!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

This review is about the Christmas party night.... Not the main hotel......

Considering the hotel is so "plush" and scores very well on here, it's a shame they have let their christmas party nights drag them down. From the moment we arrived, the music was so loud it was difficult to hold conversation unless shouting, and the person playing music from the laptop played all the sing along songs you would expect at a Christmas party whistle the meal was being served (along with a range of floorfillers....)

Food was ok, if not a little small on portions and service alright. Compared to the tatton park christmas extravaganza the week before (which was similar in price) the mere is leagues behind which is a shame.

Wouldn't book again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Josh R
Tom D, Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry to hear your Christmas night did not meet your expectations. We are in January undergoing the final stage in our development programme that includes the room where you had your Christmas party.

If you would like to contact me directly I could go through the details with you,

Many thanks

Tom Davies
Lancashire
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at the mere for a romantic night. The rooms ( I think I was in a junior suite) are spacious and modern, and the bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept in.

However whilst the service was not bad, occasionally it left me frustrated that it was not upto the hotel standard that I expected. This was mainly due to noticibly slow room service, then equally slow service at breakfast.

It would not stop me staying again as it may have been a one off, but like me if I stay their again... Complain I suppose as I did not at the time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

We are very pleased to hear the hotel exceeded your expectations; the beds receive many positive comments from our guests!

I am however disappointed to hear about your service frustrations in Browns, I will pass your comments onto the team; I am sure they will be equally disappointed.

It is great to hear you will be returning; I am sure your next experience will be very different.

Please feel free to contact me directly prior to returning and I will make sure I am around to greet you,

Many thanks

Tom
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at The Mere for one night. Great experience, very nice hotel, lovely rooms and good staff. Location is good, just out of Knutsford, near M6 and Manchester Airport.
Rooms were spacious and very clean, the breakfast is a buffet / help yourself and was good. We went out in the evening into Knutsford which is a nice place with plenty of restaurants. The hotel has two bars, one of the bars has The Mere's own cask bitter 'Mere Gold' available, which is very good. However this isn't available at all in the other bar, which was disappointing - so if I was to make one reccomendation it would be to put 'Mere Gold' in both bars !

• Stayed December 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Broxton
The Stanneylands
The Stanneylands
#4 of 5 in Wilmslow

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!