“Gorgeous hotel and facilities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mere Golf Resort and Spa

The Mere Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
dudley
“Gorgeous hotel and facilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We booked a dinner and breakfast one night stay. I parked my normal family car next to a rolls Royce and an Etype which was observed by the staff dressed in wedding suits, at first I thought hmmm am I going to feel out of place? As soon as the staff spoke they had the polite professional approach perfect.
Our room was fantastic and the bed very comfy, the bathroom suite was new and simply stunning.
We had drinks on the patio looking out over the golf course and my wife said the pimms and lemonade was the best ever, and there own beer is gorgeous.
The meal was good but not out of this world but the waiter was extremely attentive.
England were playing in the World Cup so the main bar was very busy, we sat in the bar of the restaurant which was very ambient, the barman there made amazing cocktails asking my wife what sort she liked and made to please.
Breakfast was a buffet of sorts but very fresh and nice.
The gym area is good for a hotel and the pool and steam rooms were top class.
We had a travel zoo offer and on checkout the bill was wrong so check if you have an offer but this was a genuine error.
Would I stay again, hell yes even without a special offer.
If you check out the website they do good offers.
I have stayed in five star hotels and this surpassed them.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I recently spent an overnight stay with my wife at the Mere Golf Resort & Spa a place where I have golfed in the past. It has recently undergone major refurbishment with the pool and spa area now being excellent. Staff at the hotel were polite, efficient and willing to assist with any query. We stayed on a dinner/bed & breakfast deal which was great value for the money.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet break in the Cheshire countryside
which is also very close to Manchester and its attractions.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor overlooking the golf putting green and outside bar but were not co...
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed here in June , on business , and was made to feel very welcome and relaxed straight away . The reception staff were extremely friendly and interested , it was a conversation rather than what you usually get elsewhere - a process . The concierge especially looked after me , I had recently had a serious accident and they gave me a beautiful room and that evening when I came back to my room there were chocolates and a message from the concierge. He had obviously paid attention to what I had to say , and was very genuine . I am staying at Mere again very soon and am really looking forward to it - again , on business , however I feel like I am on holiday at the same time it is such a wonderful place and you receive such specialised and genuine customer service .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Absolutely breathtaking as you drive into the resort with the most amazing greenery and beautifully landscaped grounds. The rooms were gorgeous and the bathroom decor was awesome although when showering the water would go from hot to cold which made showering very unpleasant. I loved the underfloor heating, robes and slippers. We were quite shocked that the beds were two singles pushed together as this is a 5 star venue and this was not something we expected and was very disappointing. The spa was a walk across the parking lot which was a bit of a pain.

The service in the restaurant and from the front desk was impeccable although the day staff in the bar looking over the golf club and Mere was not up to the standard of a 5 star establishment. The three youngsters working in the bar didn't seem to great anyone when entering the bar when we were sitting having drinks and weren't very friendly or interested in being there. The platter to share that we had was delicious and something you must have.

The spa was absolutely incredible and the treatments we had were amazing. We went for our birthday and when arriving at the spa i was greeted with a package of samples wrapped beautifully as a gift from the spa. The deep relax room after each treatment with water and sorbet on offer was a wonderful touch.

The choice of breakfast in the room instead of in the restaurant was my best and the food was delicious. We had dinner both nights in the restaurant which was fantastic and the gentleman in the bar area where we had drinks before being seated was brilliant, very informative about the area and made us delicious cocktails. We loved that we could have our dessert served to us in our bedroom after our dinner at Browns.
Overall our experience here was awesome and we would definitely recommend this experience.

Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We booked into the hotel for a friends special birthday and 8 of us used the spa and had a variety of treatments. The facilities were fantastic and all the staff extreamly friendly and curtious. Our rooms were beautiful fitted to an extremely high standard. We dinner in the evening and the staff went out of their way to ensure we were happy. The pianists battled slightly with the band playing for the wedding in the function room next door but it didn't really affect the evening. Both the dinner and breakfast was delicious. We used the spa facilities again the following morning and relaxed on the terrace with G and T's, olives and dips until mid afternoon before heading home. A fantastic day/night away, a real treat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with views over the golf course, they are spectacular!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Cheshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

I took my wife Tona for her birthday treat to Mere. I booked a suite and champagne in the room, strawberries in chocolate. The room was very nice and as ordered the fiz and chocs were there and a nice touch was a plate with Happy Birthday Tona written in chocolate on the plate. All going to plan and I was impressed by the attention to detail shown by the hotel. 10 out of 10.

The suites are just lovely with everything you need from robes, slipers, iphone charger, 2 TV's, bath and shower - just really nice.

Our room was on the ground floor and it was hot and a little stuffy. We opened the windows at night to cool down a little , this was fine until 0630hrs when we were awoken by aircraft landing at Manchester Airport. Yes Mere is on the landing/approach run, you realise that every few minutes or less a plane lands at Manchester. We forced ourselves to go back to sleep, however, both mornings we woke up to Rolls Royce engines on finals and it is a problem if you came to relax.

'Browns' is the breakfast and dinner location in the hotel, it is a great breakfast and Tona and I enjoyed the great start to the day. Unfortunately it does not lend itself to a romantic dinner location, lights are to bright and there is no atmosphere. The steak was good and the wine was excellant, the manager was polite and helped us select the wine - great choice by the way.

So why have I given this place only average.

Firstly its 5 star prices, our two days cost us the same as a family holiday for 5 days in the sun.
Secondly, the place has a distinct snobbiness about it that I am sure is to do with the type of people they want as clients. But guys tone it down be more friendly and helpful. Front of house managers can speak to clients, its what makes a great hotel and clients come back time and time again instead of looking like they have a stick up their bottoms. Sorry but you deserve that, it was absolutely clear that we were not on your radar.

I parked my Bentley with all the other Bentleys and Range Rovers, even said hello to Peter Crouch, who was having a round of golf - nice one.

I would advise any visitor to this location that its a great location and the general staff are polite and helpful, its just that they are new and a little wooden! the management are stiff and trying to impress, but they have forget the basics, that it takes all sorts of people and not everyone that appears to have money has!, and some of us who don't flash it around and talk like a gent from Barclays boardroom, just might have and you need to acknowledge, accept us and make us feel welcome.

So this is a hard one to write up really because on one hand it's a great venue and the facilities are 1st class. My beef was just the arrogance of the place and the noise from the aircraft landing at Manchester Airport, just took off the edge to our stay. The question of would we go back - NO! sorry Mere, you have just not quite got it right.....

Room Tip: I had a suite so if you dont mind spending the money they are great.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mike L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Booked 3nts dinner, B&B and two rounds of golf, food great, rooms great, golf course amazing and the spa was fabulous. No negatives whatsoever. The staff were courteous and friendly (Sunday night waiter was a little pushy on the wine/drink). All booked through mygolftravel.com, no hiccups. Thoroughly recommend although they need to sort out access from an extremely busy road before someone gets hurt

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
The Chester Grosvenor
#4 of 45 in Chester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,987 reviews
Doubletree by Hilton Chester

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!