“Outstanding facilities and level of service”

The Mere Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Outstanding facilities and level of service”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I attended a ball at the Mere Golf & Country Club. The hotel is outstanding and every member of staff seems to genuinely want to help you.

Golf driving range into a lake is pretty cool and there was quite a collection of celebs in the sports bar, not that I am star struck in any way.

There were a lot of Groupon people checking out when we left saying it was amazing value for money so would suggest looking on there before you book...

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but be aware the hotel entrance is 15 yards past the traffic lights and if yo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

You would imagine such a 4+ star hotel would be unaffordable but not this place I only booked the room 2 weeks before my stay on Friday 15th June but I was still able to take advantage of their in advance offer of £75 per room per night including breakfast. I was also able to book a 1hr slot in the spa then call back at my convenience so inform them of my chosen treatment. Check in was quick and painless. My room was beautiful, perfectly appointed with all the amenities and touches such as Aromatherapy Associates smelly's luxury tea, coffee. Mini bar etc.
Being a single I wasnt comfortable with dining in the restaurant and I wasn't very impressed with the in-room dining options so I called to see if it was possible to order from the restaurant menu, they called the chef and he was more than willing to accommodate. The waiter arrived within 20mins with a beautiful looking plate of Pan Fried Rose Veal, Vegetable blanquette, wild mushrooms & rosti potato. It was stunning! beautifully cooked.
At approx 9.30 I had a knock on the door from the guest services manager with a card and box of chocolates wishing me a happy birthday! It was completely unexpected and a lovely thoughtful gesture.
The bed was very comfortable and spacious!
Breakfast was also great, I even ordered off the menu and they were happy to make anything I wished.

My spa treatment was booked for 10am, just before I informed reception that I might be a little late for check out at 11, they were abolsolutly fine and extended check out until 12 with no extra charge.

The treatment facility is a separate building across the car park, although it was a little uncomfortable walking in my dressing gown across the car park with golfers around as soon as I reached the spa it was the epitome of tranquility and relaxation. I had the Aromatherapy Associates Ultimate Facial with a therapist named nikki I believe. It was probably the best facial I have ever had and I have had a lot! After the treatment Nikki (I think) gave an indepth explanation of what my skins needs, it was really interesting and didn't feel like a sales pitch, I had no obligation to buy.

I left feeling relaxed and pampered. Perfect place for a weekend break and only 30min away from Manchester city centre. A*****.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read you had an enjoyable birthday and that the team looked after you.
I have to say the Veal dish is my personal favourite and will be featuring on our menus for some time to come as it is rapidly becoming our signature dish.

Thank you for singling our Nikki in the spa, I shall ensure your kind words are relayed to her and we will look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thank you once again.
leeds
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Our day was arranged for us via my friend who is a member of the gym here. We were pleasantly made very welcome on arrival in the spa and were shown to the restaurant area. The guy serving in the restaurant was lovely and welcoming. Our treatments were wonderful and the spa staff were gracious. The whole place flows well and was very modern. The spa itself was nice and offers pool jacuzzi and various heat rooms, also cocktails by the poolside was a nice treat!!!! After hours of relaxation we changed and went to the hotel for coffee, the staff in the bar and on reception were happy and very attentive. We have already booked for our next visit this time to stay over as I and my friends were very impressed.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Overall our experience was positive, but I don't think we will stay again. The hotel was in beautiful grounds, however unless you are playing golf you are not allowed to walk around the grounds, which actually leaves the non golfer with very little outdoor space other than the car park.
We stayed in a room in the new part of the hotel,admittedly it was a cheaper room. The view was into a small courtyard used by the chefs to smoke, as we were on the ground floor we found we had to have the curtains drawn virtually all the time, even with them open the natural light into the room was limited.We noted many of the rooms had views over the car park.
The cleaner knocked on the door at 10am and we asked her to come back later, we spent most of the day out and when we returned the bed had been made and the bin emptied and the tea cups changed. The bathroom had not been cleaned and we were nearly out of toilet roll and this hadn't been replaced.
We had previously read a review for this hotel where someone complained about doors banging and we thought this was a bit ridiculous, however when staying (possibly because we were in a ground floor room) we could appreciate the comment. Late at night when people walked through the fire doors the bang when they closed rocked the room.
What really made the stay was the staff, particularly at Browns, they were brilliant, very friendly and attentive, the food was also amazing.
The spa was lovely and when we attended was very quiet.

Room Tip: Definately ask for a room with views over the golf course, the alternatives are not good.
2 Thank Kelly S
, General Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read that overall you had a positive experience, especially in Browns restaurant.
I was disappointing to read about the slamming doors and you have my word our maintenance team are busy walking the corridors tightening up the overhead door closers as we speak. Should you choose to visit us in the future our concierge department will be delighted to recommend some lovely local walks for you to enjoy.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Now we have to be straight on this we did get an exceptional deal on a promotion from Travelzoo so in all fairness this was a cheap as chips deal & for what we paid compared to what we got was stupendous value for money however at no stage were we made to feel inferior to other guests all the staff especially the girls on the front desk were fab !

The hotel & spa are only a few months old but they have done a magnificent job old mixing with new & the rooms were of a 5 star standard immaculate,modern & very stylish .

The general standard of food was high you have to try the pork belly it was knockout & drinks were reasonably priced for a hotel of this standard the wine list in the main restaurant was also pretty decent if being a little fussy service in Browns could have been slightly more attentive & the mains were very slow to arrive however an apologie was given the breakfast was also very good !

The spa was top knotch aroma steam , sauna, salt infusion, great pool it was trueley world class the only thing that let it down was lack of touches in the changing rooms no robes,slippers,deodorants etc i have stopped at some decent hotels with not as good spa facilities but they had better changing rooms another small point is they need a spinner for the wet swimwear even my local gym has one of these !

The hotel is obviously a golf club & we are not golfers & although the grounds are beautiful there is a lack of none golf course grounds to go walkabout so just be aware the golf club was here long before the hotel on saying that though the day we arrived there was a tournament on & it made for a great buzz around the resort.

Many thanks for a short but sweet stay at your new hotel it was great & the Travelzoo deal has done the job as we will reccomend to friends,colleagues & family & hopefully will return soon !

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Hotel and Spa as said by other guest are truly wonderful. Rooms are second to none. Reception and staff were polite. Dinner served with burnt soda bread was a downer, £25 for a cheap bottle of wine was reasonable, however, we had to pour it ourselves after the waiter screwed opened the top and poured the first drink. (Maybe it's because we were on a promotion from Travel Zoo) This hasn't deterred us from re-visiting The Mere as the wife had enjoyed her Spa treatment, although, my desire to play at The Mere was scuppered by the Open qualifying Tournament. Oh! had to telephone the reception after arriving home to inform them of our room did not have bathrobes and slippers ...... just in case they tried to charge us for them!

Yorkshire
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed at The Mere for a break away last week, what a lovely hotel! The service was fabulous, food amazing, and the quality of the bedrooms just stunning.
They have thought of everything in detail even down to the 'Mere'cats in the bedroom as the do not disturb signs. It's just a shame we couldn't stay longer.

1 Thank topesters
, General Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to feedback after your recent stay with us, I am delighted you had an amazing time and enjoyed all of our facilities.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon, the team and our Merekats will be waiting....

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,361 reviews

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!