“Thought it would be better...”

Cottons Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Birmingham
“Thought it would be better...”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed at the Cottons hotel as I was attending a function nearby, and thought the hotel would be a really nice 4 star hotel, the reception area and bar are lovely, however the rooms are a little tired. Quite dusty in areas and chipped paintwork make you think they're not that bothered about about appearances so what else aren't they bothered about.

I would rate it at best a 3 star, nothing else wrong with it, just me being picky...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
I'm pleased that you thought our reception area and bar are lovely but equally disappointed that your room did not meet your expectations and, as mentioned, in previous TripAdvisor replies, further refurbishment is due but we will focus attention on the issues you have mentioned as our priority is to present the hotel in the best possible condition. I do hope that, should you have the need for accommodation in the area, we can welcome you back.

Mark C. Bowers - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Lancs UK
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I attended a function at this hotel and cannot fault it at all. The food during the day was excellent and service excellent. My room was comfortable,a good size and clean and quiet .My only complaint really was that there was no electric socket near to a mirror so could dry my hair!!!
Would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
I'm really pleased to read your complimentary feedback about our food, service and accommodation. I note your comment about there being no electric socket near the mirror to dry your hair but, located in the drawer of the dressing table – below the mirror, is a hair dryer that is directly wired in for your use. I will ensure, however, that our signage is clear.

NR Northwich
Reviewed November 24, 2013

A real disappointment- yes we were on a hen party. Eleven ladies all looking forward to a child/ stress free afternoon (11 to 4.30pm) at the cottons Spa. The package included two treatments out of a facial, manicure or pedicure, back, shoulder and head massage and one other, which I can't remember. All the treatments were good, none of us were disappointed. We had lunch too early at 12 the choice was all prebooked - a fruit juice, choice of salad nicoise/Caesar or a antipasta followed by cheese, fruit salad or creme brûlée. All very pleasant but the salads far too small and more like a small starter. Due to treatments times four of her left quite quickly after pudding, I wasn't sure if the others had coffee but again had to pay for a warm drink after treatments. On top of paying 90 pounds for the package, on arrival we paid for a coffee/tea which we thought would have been complimentary, again it should be in the package.
A package to me means all included, not so here. A real shame as the spa was great. I have returned home starving and so did the lady I went with. Not great!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Annabel B
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
I was pleased that you enjoyed your Spa treatments but sorry you felt lunch was scheduled too early at 12noon. Given a group of 11 with treatments, starting from 1.30pm and the need to allow your lunch to digest before starting treatments, unfortunately this early lunch could not be avoided, particularly as everyone wanted to eat together as a group.

With regards to our packages, they do include unlimited herbal teas & water and soft drinks are included with lunch. Other teas/coffees are chargeable and given your comments I will ensure my team clearly explain this. Concerning the salad portions being small, please accept my apologies and we will certainly address this straight away.

Middlewich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Having got married here in march this year this hotel will always have a special place in my heart but during our last visit (16th Nov) I felt somewhat disappointed. Loving the refurb downstairs, looks great in comparison but the pool was overrun with screaming children (I went in to relax!!) and our room was very very tired. Still the great power shower (awesome) but the wooden plinth between the seating area & bed was splintered and the paintwork and furniture scuffed.... I know a refurb plan is ongoing but we can stay at The Mere for a similar price. The only thing stopping us is sentiment. This won't stop us from staying again but I hope they hurry with the room refurbishments.

• Stayed November 2013
I'm glad you loved our new look restaurant and bar areas and although further refurbishments are due, we will attend to the issues you highlighted about your room immediately as it is always a top priority to present our facilities in the best possible condition. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I apologise for our oversight.

Potton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Staff:- warm, welcoming efficient and polite, nothing too much trouble.
Bedroom:- clean, spacious and sky tv (very useful)
Spa:- faultless including outside hot tub.
Excellent food and good wine at a reasonable price.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
I'm delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel and our service.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Whilst the food/service and surroundings here are very nice we didn't stay over so can't comment on the rooms. The prices of drinks were ridiculous. We expected to pay a BIT more but £18 for a small white wine and a lager and £8 for a coke and a lager is ridiculous !

Stayed November 2013
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
I'm pleased that you found our food, service and surroundings very nice but sorry you felt our bar tariff to be overpriced. I cannot comment on the prices you state as I do not know exactly what the drinks were, but generally our bar prices are competitive with other similar properties.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Overall a wonderful stay in a really nice hotel.
Pros: The service here was fantastic - I emailed in advance with a query and had a very prompt reply, and a complimentary room upgrade! Bar staff were very friendly and reception were very polite and helpful. The room was fabulous, bed was slightly firmer than I would prefer but the pillows were great and everything was spotless. There was plenty of storage space and hanging space. The room was very well equipped (hairdryer, iron and proper ironing board, bathrobes etc), and I was most impressed that for tea and coffee there was actual complimentary milk in the minibar instead of the horrible UHT stuff. There was also a large sofa, and a desk, as well as brochures with Cheshire attractions. The bathroom was excellent and the shower was powerful and consistent temperature - spot on. The turkish aroma light sensory steam room in the spa was amazing, I could have stayed in there for hours! We didn't eat an evening meal at the hotel but we had a drink in the bar which was very pleasant. Breakfast in the morning was a particular highlight, nice restaurant and a great selection of food.
Cons: The main reason for booking this particular hotel was for a very relaxing weekend to chill out in the middle of a stressful month. The website gives the impression that the spa experience will be very serene, but we hadn't realised quite how family-friendly the facilities are. Absolutely brilliant if you're staying with kids, but rather than the quiet rejuvenating experience we were hoping for, we got a crowded pool full of screaming toddlers. In fairness, I think the pool was adult-only after 7pm and we had to go earlier than that because we had dinner plans, so it may just have been our timing. However, the jacuzzi and outdoor hot tub were full, as were all the relaxation beds, so if you are planning to visit the hotel specifically for the spa facilities it might be best to check with the spa reception to find out their quietest times, and go then.
The only other downside was that taxis to and from Knutsford seem quite pricey (£7-£10) for a 1.5 mile journey. We ended up walking back to the hotel after our meal out as at 11.30pm at night we tried 4 different taxi companies and none had any taxis available. I wouldn't recommend this as there is no street lighting once you get out onto Manchester Road, and the traffic is very fast. However, these are fairly minor niggles in what was overall an excellent experience! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel to any of my family or friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 238 which was a lovely room, a long way from reception, but very close to the spa.