“Weddings Rule”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
united kingdom
“Weddings Rule”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed at Cottons for 2 nights the last weekend of December 2012. I can't fault the accommodation, but I have to say that it is probably best not to stay over a weekend if you require a peaceful stay. There were wedding receptions taking place on both days of our stay, and the whole place seemed to be completely taken over by them, much to the detriment of the other guests. The entrance was habitually clogged up with smokers from the wedding parties, which made it an unpleasant through-fare, especially as some people were the worse for wear. Kids were running wild in the corridors, screaming & playing hide & seek up until the early hours of the morning - a member of staff who witnessed this did nothing. Some thoughtless wedding guests had dumped dirty plates & glasses in the corridors, which the busy staff had either not noticed or had chance to clear away. We were told the restaurant wasn't open during our stay, yet we noticed on our return from our drive to a restaurant in Knutsford, that people were dining in it! Unfortunately, they had forgotten to tell us that, because bookings were better than expected, they had decided to keep it open. All this combined to make our visit a poor experience, which was a shame. because I suspect that on an ordinary day, the hotel would be lovely to stay in. After submitting my complaints, the manager did telephone me to apologize and has offered to upgrade us if we ever decide to stay there again. However, (if there was a next time), I would certainly check to see if they were catering for a wedding before I made the booking!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if a wedding is on at the same time as your stay.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coco11cha
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
We did have an extremely busy trading period between Christmas and New Year due to the popularity of our winter wedding package. Generally our weddings are self-contained in our banqueting suites to protect the interests of other guests, especially as we are popular for spa breaks and I am only sorry that on your stay we had several large groups that impacted on our public areas which affected your overall experience.

I assure you this issue is isolated to the Christmas week in question as our Restaurant and Spa throughout the year focus on providing individuals with a relaxed and comfortable stay.

Mark C. Bowers - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Bolton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

After finding the hotel online and seeing how lovely it looked, me and my partner booked an appointment for 5:00pm to view the function rooms and discuss the wedding packages at the hotel.

Upon arrival we were greeted by Debbie, and promptly given a very quick ( and i mean quick ) tour of the hotel rooms/spa facilities etc. Had we been an elderly couple we would definitely have struggled to keep up with her as she practically sprinted around the hotel.

When we finally made it to the function room, we were briefly told how it would be laid out and that she would give us a brochure to take away and look over, and that if we wanted to book the date or reserve it to give them a call.

At this point both me and my partner looked at each other gobsmacked, it seemed that she was literally going to give us a brochure and send us on our way. Only when my partner asked her if we would be able to go through the prices with her did she even consider this, and dashed straight off to "put a quote together".

At this point all she knew was roughly how many people were coming, and that we may want the ceremony there.

5 minutes late Debbie reappears from her office with a quote printed off. This quote was completely wrong, as at no point did she ask if there would be any children, what package we wanted etc. No options were discussed, she simply presumed what we wanted and that there would be no children.

At several points during our appointment, it was obvious that she was attempting to bring the conversation to a close to send us on our way. We were blatantly being rushed out of the door. No doubt she finished at 6pm and just wanted us out of there.

Both myself and my partner loved the hotel, it was beautiful and just what we were after, but if that is the the way the staff treat you when you're looking to book a wedding, i dread to think what it would be like on the day.

2 Thank Catherine P
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
I feel this report is a little harsh, as the person showing you around was not Debbie and the only reason a swift tour of the rooms was conducted was because we were trying to show you in rooms that were due to be occupied at roughly the same time as your show round. As per my personal telephone conversation with you, I apologise for your experience and that the above circumstance was not made clear.

I am equally disappointed with your comments because my long-serving and experienced wedding & events team normally receive nothing but praise.

Kind Regards,
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed here 3 times now in last 1 year, only one time has it been poor and that was due to next room being very noisy and night porter forgetting our breakfast..
Our two other stays here have been very nice, spa is good and very clean, rooms are tidy and modern, breakfast is always nice, maybe restaurant staff could look a little happyer/friendly but in all a real nice hotel..
We will be going back again later in the year I expect!!!
Cheers

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for your overall positive comments. It’s always nice to hear from returning guests and we very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards,
manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

we booked a weekend stay for my birthday,My wife and two daughters and my two year old grandsons, 6 people in all.

We asked for a family room for the children as they tell us on the website that they are spacious
with a double bed,a sofa bed and a sitting area for relaxation.

They tell us on the website that they provide little dressing gowns for the boys and milk and cookies at bedtime which persuaded us that this was the way to go.

My wife and I went for the double executive room and we got exactly that.

However, the children were put in a double executive room with sofa bed which was very cramped and the sofa bed extremely uncomfortable. The room has got a terrible trip hazard for the boys,both of them fell off the step down from the sofa bed and hurt themselves.

The little dressing gowns and milk and cookies which we thought were a very nice touch
just didn't arrive on the first night so we told reception the following morning and they said " oh we don't do dressing gowns any more" and as for the milk and cookies I will request them for you for tonight 7.30pm. They did not arrive,so if like us you are booking a family room with nice thoughtful touches,think again.

The food was above average with above average prices to match but eating both at breakfast and in the evening was very good with Natalie making the dining experience that bit more special.

The reception staff did not impress us with a very poor attitude to every one of our queries
and to cap it all I have still not got my bill due to the system being down, although they have swiped our credit card, we do not know for how much or for what "extras" they have charged for.

I enjoyed the pool with the two boys and we all enjoyed the food,except for one of the boys who felt poorly,but once again Natalie stepped in with a host of options for us and then changed the seating on the second night from a table for 6 down to a table for 2 (in a fully booked dining room) with an amazing and immediate reaction to the problem Natalie put us on a table for 4 and reassigned the 4 to our now vacant six without turning a hair.

This is a very unfriendly family hotel with absolutely nothing for the children to do except swim,the hotel will "hire" you a DVD player but no kids films are available to play on it.

I have stayed at all the Shire inns hotels both on business and leisure over the past 15 years
and sadly "Cottons" is off the list of places to stay,although thanks to Natalie and the food we would dine with you again.

The rooms are shabby and the carpets would benefit from a shampoo,the push button shower was good but a 4 star rating on the exec rooms is too high,we have stayed in a suite on a previous visit and that was 4 star and very enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank luvdubai
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
I am sorry you had a mixed experience with your recent family stay as we generally pride ourselves on providing those little extras for children, such as DVD players, milk, cookies and dressing gowns. May I assure you this slip in service has already been addressed.
With regards to the children’s room, to accommodate four children does mean the sitting area in our Executive rooms is lost and again I’m sorry if this was not made clear to you.
On a positive note I was pleased that you all enjoyed our food and my restaurant manager helped to make the occasion that bit more special.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

i stayed at the cottonshotel on 29th /30th december my daughter had her wedding there had a great time food at the night time the night before the wedding was i have to say very good only down side was the hotel was very hot had to turn off the heating in the room we had a very nice room staff pretty friendly reception staff well jessica was fab another down side is all the room maids do not speak any english when i was trying to explain that i had put the sofa bed back to make more room she couldnt understand me so i asked 3 more staff they didnt speak english i eventually found an english speaking woman wish i never started it i never got a chance to use the lesuire centre but they said it was good but overall it was a great time breakfast help your self very good l byrne

Room Tip: i was on the 3rd floor 368 i think
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your mainly positive comments following your daughter’s wedding with us as it is always pleasing to read compliments about our friendly staff, quality of food and rooms.

With regards to the issue you had with our housekeeping department, I will take your comments on board and we will review the situation.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is obviously a great place for weddings, but we went for one night to chill out after a hectic xmas looking after "oldies". We spent a lovely afternoon in the spa facilities, went into Knutsford on the evening, which has plenty of restaurants and bars and is only a mile away. We went back into the spa in the morning, had a great breakfast, then onto Tatton Park for a walk. This is a great hotel to have a rest. The rooms and facilities are lovely and staff very helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
I am so glad that you had a good experience and we are able to recharge your batteries following a hectic Christmas. Thank you for a fantastic review of our facilities and we hope to see you again soon.

Salisbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had a two night stay here just before Christmas and had a lovely time. We arrived late on the first evening but were able to order some room service which was reasonably priced and arrived very quickly. The sandwiches we ordered were fresh and there were plenty, though it would have been nice to have the choice of a selection rather than all the same. We also ordered some wine which was quite pleasant though not cheap.
The room was boiling when we first walked in but once we managed to work out the air conditioning we were able to set the temperature for perfect comfort. The bed was comfy but the room was a little cramped compared to some family rooms I have stayed in. We slept well and were undisturbed by noise in spite of having a window open for a while.
On both mornings we had delicious breakfast with very little wait for tea, coffee and freshly cooked pancakes and plenty of choice. Even the children felt welcome and we were seated comfortably with plenty of space each day. We followed breakfast with a visit to the swimming pool where the children were welcomed, unlike some spa hotels I have stayed in. Unfortunately my 7 year old was just too young for the hot tub but we had a refreshing swim in the pool. I do think they should enforce the no phones rule though - one customer was on his phone in the so called quiet zone for at least half an hour. We didn't use any of the other spa facilites as we were attending a wedding a few miles away but it all looked lovely.
The only slight niggle was that having booked a late check out, and having been told we could check out at 1pm, we received a call from reception at 12 asking us what time we were leaving. They did apologise but it was a pity after everything else had been so lovely.
We felt the hotel offered very good value for a spa hotel and would certainly stay again if we were in the area.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor which was very quiet but the rooms may have been slightly smaller due to sl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and rest assured I will be addressing the points that we did not get quite right. We hope to welcome you back soon – perhaps to take advantage of our half-term activities.

Mark C. Bowers - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Mere Court Hotel And Conference Centre
Longview Hotel
#8 of 9 in Knutsford
De Vere Cranage Estate
Ibis Budget Knutsford Tabley

Been to Cottons Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!