“A little underwhelming”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A little underwhelming”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This hotel seems to be pitched as being a little bit more luxurious than the average hotel. However it does not do much to rise above the rest and overall made for a pretty average experience; the reception, bar, and dining areas were smart enough, as was our room, but the block where our room was situated was just that - a very plain block. Inside, the room was clean and nicely lit and the bed was very comfortable. However the bathroom was very small and the shower did not get hot in the evening or the morning. Breakfast was not included and seemed expensive so we opted out. With all this in mind it is hard to see where the value for money is in this hotel, although we were not there for the spa; maybe this would have made up for the apparent lack of any wow-factor. For the price we paid there was definitely something missing!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your review and although you found our facilities smart, clean and comfortable, I am sorry there was no ‘wow’ factor for you. Maybe a visit to our Spa may have helped make the experience more enjoyable. We hope to see you again soon.

Mark C. Bowers - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Biddulph, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We have just spent another superb Christmas at the Cottons Hotel, this being our thirteenth year to date. When we first started going for the three night package we imagined it would be a one off treat but everything was so perfect we just returned year after year.
The ambience and service are second to none, as is the delicious food served in the Magnolia Restaurant. The only complaint is it always passes much too quickly!
The hotel is never fully booked for the Christmas package thus making everything appear much more personal and relaxed. The carol singers, mulled wine, champagne, chocolate truffles and the little stocking which 'magically' appears on each bedroom door handle on Christmas morning, stuffed with chocolates and satsumas, all contribute to a truly special stay. I would recommend a Cottons Christmas to anyone who wants to truly relax within a beautiful setting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
It’s always nice to hear from returning guests, especially about the consistency of the hotel’s service and standards. It’s also good to hear that the ‘small details’ really do make the difference. I will take great pleasure in sharing your feedback with my team.

Newton Stewart, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

A party of ten of us booked into the hotel for dinner, bed and breakfast on Boxing Day to celebrate a fiftieth Birthday.

After enjoying an excellent lunch in the Colonial Lounge we spent the afternoon enjoying the facilities of the Spa; a great way to pass a dull wet winter afternoon.

After drinks in the evening we went through to the restaurant where a table had been specially laid for us in the annex and enjoyed a truly excellent three course dinner. The staff danced attendance on us throughout and we were entertained by a very accomplished lady vocalist.

Next morning, again a table had been specially laid for us at breakfast and in spite of the meal we had eaten the previous evening we found the full English breakfast impossible to resist.

We all agreed that the service, the attitude of the staff and the quality of the dining could not be faulted. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the setting made the celebration one to remember.

I have a single criticism, and it is a very small one, and that is that communication between reception and the bar and dining room could be improved upon. (It related to our booking, the size of our party and prepayment against our account). However, the bar and dining room staff ensured that our experience was in no way spoiled by what was no more than a very minor irritation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
I am pleased that overall you had a pleasant stay and that the team were on hand to help your fiftieth birthday celebrations run smoothly. I will be sure to pass your comments on to my team, who will be equally pleased with such feedback. I have noted your comment with regards to departmental communication and I will pass your observations to those concerned so that improvements can be made.

Fordingbridge
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have just returned from a three day Christmas break at the Cottons Hotel. This was our first Christmas away from home in over 30 years so we were just a little apprehensive, however, no reason to be...we had a wonderful time.

The Hotel was very festive and tastefully decorated. They had arranged carol singers for Christmas Eve, a champagne reception - hosted by the senior management team - on Christmas morning and a "table top" magician for the evening. On Boxing Day evening we were entertained by an excellent singer. We believe that Santa also put in an appearance, for the benefit of the children, but we didn't see him!!

The management and staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, and really entered into the spirit of the occasion and could not do enough for you. So far as the meals were concerned...well they were a joy. The quality of the food combined with the variety of choice, presentation and service was fabulous.

Without doubt we had a memorable three days (my wife also had a Spa treatment) and the only disappointment was that it passed all too quickly!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm really pleased to read your great comments and that we helped you celebrate Christmas in style. We always want to be able to give our guests an informal, professional yet friendly service and from your review it would seem that we succeeded. I will certainly pass your comments onto the team and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times normally if there is a function / party night. I have always had good service and food.
I arrived early and was able to check in early which was lovely. A few drinks in the bar and some food. The lady behind the bar (i didnt get ger name) was very friendly and super efficiant. My only poroblem was the girl who brought the food out looked unhappy and a little off.
My room was lovely, clean and a good size. Bed was
The breakfast was amazing with a good choice. The restaraunt was very busy so there was a delay with coffee and toast but that is only expected.
Great night, thanks.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
I am delighted you were able to enjoy another stay at Cottons Hotel & Spa, and especially the food and service. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Spent one night here with my wife and 2 year old daughter. First impressions were good,hotel and bar area very nice,however,things got worse when it was time to order food. My wife and I had tiger prawn linguine and my daughter had penne pasta in a "fresh" tomato sauce. The prawns were like pieces of rubber and the pasta was dry and tasteless. I tried my daughters pasta to find that it tasted like Heinz tomato soup! I complained to the waitress who went to speak to the chef. When she returned she confirmed that it was plain pasta with tomato soup poured over it, for nearly £5.00? To her credit, she said that she didn't think this was right and that she would give us a refund for the price of one meal. As for a restful nights sleep, you can forget it,unless you are used to the sound of aircraft taking off!
So, if you are a plane spotter who loves tomato soup, I would suggest staying elsewhere. Very poor for a hotel which claims to have such high standards

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Andy0803
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Obviously I am very disappointed that your positive first impressions were short-lived. Our prawn linguine is a favourite amongst our regulars and I am sorry that, on this occasion, it has not met your expectation. We will certainly take your comments on board.
I was surprised, however, to read that you had a disturbed night’s sleep due to the noise from the planes. I have to say that your comments are rare with regard to aircraft noise as night flights are restricted and with our double glazing and air-conditioning, it usually ensures a comfortable night’s sleep.

Pune
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Break fast good and unlimited but limited Menu item.
Dines are not that much good, only two-three Bar menu item.
Room size limited to Bad size and a small table. You will never understand when start and finish room.
Costly compare to service and room quality.
Some of staff member are not good and friendly. There is big Chance to treat you as his servant.

Room Tip: Check review of other Hotels, if found better then this then you know what to do.