1,135 results
All reviewsthe outdoor hot tubsauna and steam roomgirls nightlovely hotelcoffee machinefresh milkhen partyleisure facilitiesevening mealgreat facilitiesafternoon teasandwichesfrom start to finishmanchester airportmain coursewhole experiencean overnight stay
995 - 1,000 of 1,135 reviews
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed here a few times on business. No matter what room I am in, they are all clones of each other - even down to the paintings on the walls! As others have said, the Wi-Fi and mobile phone signals are shocking; i gave up trying to connect to the [free] internet because the signal fluctuated and dropped out constantly. Mobile phone calls required a level of gymnastic ability that would impress an athlete - I tried standing on a chair and holding the phone up near the ceiling to get a signal at one point!

The main problem I have had is with the beds - they are largely made up of two single mattresses stuck together. A lot of them seem very old and worn, I haven't yet had a good night's sleep there. On one occasion the mattress had completely gone and made for an extremely sleepless night. To their credit the bed was replaced the next day, but they all felt like they needed throwing out and replacing.

Bar area is good, staff very friendly and the bar food was very good - some of the best bar food i've eaten.

One final word of warning - check when you book if there are any functions on before you book, or at least ask for a room away from the dining room / function suite. There was a wedding there (on a Thursday of all days), and the music (which was loud enough to make out what the song was from my room on the 3rd floor!) didn't stop until 1am. The night porters on reception said there was nothing they could do about it, perhaps in future the hotel could be kind enough to put signs out warning guests.

Room Tip: Check the bed to make sure it's in good order Choose a room away from the restaurant / function suite if there is an event on Don't bother taking your mobile phone!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us and I am obviously disappointed to read your comments. With regard to ‘phone signals I’m afraid we have little control over mobile phone providers and we understand how important fast broadband is and it’s not generally an area I hear adverse comments about, but I will take the opportunity to review this with our provider in the light of your observations.

Beds and their degree of comfort are very subjective. I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy a good night’s sleep but I can only assure you we will never compromise on the quality of our beds and do replace as necessary.

May I also apologise for the loud music from one of our events that caused you disturbance in your room. When we do have events with entertainment at the hotel we do try to allocate the rooms furthest away to the event for those not attending the event but, on this occasion, I apologise for our oversight.

On a positive note, I am pleased that you enjoyed the bar food and friendly staff.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

Enjoyable experience like the last time. However, couple of points to note:

The GSM signal here is pretty bad... almost made me out of reach for quite some time.
The food and the ambience is great, but what is the point of having a buffer if you have to wait for someone to serve it to you. Keep the food and the plates and let the guests serve themselves from the counter.
The bar is brilliant - the olives and the crisps included - but the service is a bit slow.

All in all, I would still come and stay at the Cottons.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Really pleased you enjoyed your return visit and I was so delighted to read your positive comments regarding the food and ambience.

We will take on board your comments regarding breakfast service but the mobile signal is a bit harder to tackle as we really do not have any influence with mobile phone providers. I have to say this is not a problem we hear much of.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

My fiance booked it as a birthday surprise he paid extra for a 4poster upgrade. It was a nice size room with 2flat screen tv's but the furniture was a bit shabby. To our surprise there was also a very tacky mirror above the bed on the ceiling (must have been left there from the 70's by mistake). The best part of the stay was dinner, good quality & value.

• Stayed: November 2011

I was pleased you particularly enjoyed our food quality and value, but disappointed you found the furnishings in your Suite dated. The furniture does date back to when the hotel first opened and reflected a Colonial/New Orleans feel to the building – hence ‘Cottons’ Hotel. The furniture has been restored to maintain some of our history but I accept some people now prefer a more contemporary look.

Reviewed November 30, 2011

Really nice hotel- very clean, a little on the business side but great place to stay in a fantastic area.

We had a good walk around the Tatton Park on the Saturday and its really quite beautiful with all sorts of animals roaming freely around.

The hotel restaurant is really its best feature- fine dining indeed! Rooms very clean, well designed and decorated.

Overall very little wrong, ideal for business or pleasure and staff really helpful.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2011

Thank you for your glowing report about our cleanliness, food, bedrooms and helpful staff. Such comments give us a great sense of satisfaction.

Mark C. Bowers

Reviewed November 26, 2011

7 ladies stayed overnight for a relaxed hen weekend. We stayed in a suite. It was spacious, comfortable and had everything we needed. We drank in the bar and drinks were pricey. Would bring them in my bag next time!
Breakfast was excellent- a good choice, fresh and tasty.
I would certainly recommend the spa day package. The leisure facilities were great and the treatments were the best I have ever had. Definitely will be returning!!

• Stayed: November 2011

Thank you for your review. When guests say they definitely want to return that’s all the compliments we need.

Many thanks and look forward to seeing you again soon.