1,168 results
All reviews the outdoor hot tub sauna and steam room girls night lovely hotel coffee machine fresh milk hen party leisure facilities evening meal high standard great facilities afternoon tea from start to finish sandwiches flower show manchester airport main course
Reviewed November 7, 2011

A perfect example of a previously fantastic hotel needing a bit of money spent to bring it back up to brilliance again. We stayed here for our anniversary and I found it easy to book everything over the internet. I had heard great things about this hotel in the past but it's all gone quiet recently and I think I can see why. Our room was quiet and large in size with a nice little seating area/work space. The power shower was excellent and bathroom had reasonable toiletries in. The thing that let the place down was the decoration/quality of furnishings. It felt like it needed some money spending to make it up to a real "top-notch" hotel. Everything was fine but I just felt like it needed something more to push it up to a 4/5 star. The on site spa is a lovely addition but I've been in much better pools/exercise rooms and it just felt (like the hotel) that it could do with some refurbishment. Overall, if you want to get away and you can get a good deal then I would recommend that you try this hotel but we won't be back when there are so many other places to try in Manchester/Cheshire area.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to read that you felt that some areas of the hotel were in need of refurbishment as we do have a rolling programme of re-investment throughout the building which we have maintained throughout the past few years, unlike many other hotel companies. On a more positive note I was pleased to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

Mark C. Bowers,

Reviewed November 7, 2011

I went to this hotel last september and i'm going again this friday for our annual works dinner dance ,everything about it is first class and would strongly advise a stay there ,a bit pricey but worth it.

Room tip: all the accomodation is first class
Date of stay: November 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted you enjoyed your previous stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Check-in was friendly; we arrived at 8.30pm Sunday. Nice to be greeted by the receptionist, and not some sign telling you to ring a bell, as we have encountered at other hotels when checking in late.

We were assigned room 248. Have to say this is not one of the best rooms. Room was of a good size, with all the usual facilities, but it just feels like it needs upgrading, especially the shower. The beds are comfortable, and the room had a sofa bed, but yet again the condition of the sheets was not acceptable. This time is was only several small holes, but in the past we have had to have the all the bedding replaced at this hotel and the one in Thorpe Park Leeds. We really management and housekeeping need to be more observant of the linen they put on guests bed as next time we will not be so forgiving.

We decided to order room service. When ordering we were advised that hot food was only available up to 8.30pm on Sundays.. We questioned this with Chris over the phone as the room service menu clearly stated 9pm on Sundays. As we only wanted soup and a Chicken Caesar Salad it was provided. I did check the Bar Menu the next day and it does stat 8.30pm Sundays. We think the hotel needs to align its menus to avoid confusion by staff and guests.
We do stay on a regular basis, as we have business in the area, and despite the comment with regards to the room, the linen and availability of hot food, it is consistent in its standard and service.

The staff appear to enjoy their job and show empowerment to make decisions. For example, in the bar at lunchtime two guests sitting ordered omelettes. When the waiter Paul, was clearing away, they mentioned this and after apologising he offered them complementary coffees. Good service recovery.

All in all we always enjoy our stay and as regular gusts have come to know some of the staff. The only comment we would make as regular guests, and affinity members, is they could offer upgrades on occasions by way of recognition. We do choose to stay at Shire Hotels as they offer the Affinity programme, and if this was not part of the Shire Hotel partnership we would consider staying elsewhere.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

We do appreciate your regular feedback and I was pleased that you received a warm welcome when checking in and generally find our standards and service consistent.

However, I am sorry for the holes found in your bed linen and the conflicting times advertised for the service of hot food on a Sunday night. May I assure you both of these issues will be addressed, with a particular emphasis on better quality control of our linen.

Upgrades are provided for Affinity members, subject to availability, and as I see you already have a future reservation booked in with us, I’ll ensure such an upgrade is provided.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 23, 2011

i stayed back in July with a group of friends to celebrate my 40th.( My initial review before we stayed was that I thought I would be disappointed based on the comments made by my friend who was making arrangements). What can I say apart from "this was far from the truth & the whole of the stay was excellent! The check in was dealt with my the lovely receptionist & had the rooms ready so my friend could decorate the room & have flowers there for my welcome - they were beautiful! The rooms were lovely & clean & with bery comfortable beds. We made use of the spa facilities and the atmosphere was very relaxed and the facilities were again very clean with very polite staff to assist. We all had treatments which were pure bliss and relaxing. In the evening we had the meal in the restaurant which was included in the package, We could not believe the standard of service from the waiters and the food was stunning as was the breakfast in the morning - what you would expect in a 5 star hotel on holiday with everything to suit all tastes!). We all had a fabulous stay and came home feeling very papmered & relaxed & we can't wait to go again in the new year to recover from xmas stresses! An wonderful stay & excellent value for money. Hope it's the same when we go again!

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2011

Absolutely delighted you enjoyed your stay at Cottons and thank you for leaving such a glowing review. Really pleased that we could help you celebrate such a birthday milestone. You’ve highlighted the areas we really try to focus on, especially a friendly team of staff offering great customer service.

We look forward to seeing you next year!

With kind regards

Reviewed October 19, 2011

stayed here for the 2nd time on business. Hotel is in a great location for Knutsford, where there are great restaurants etc, and close to motorways. The hotel is OK, but tired, a little Crossroads motel to be honest. Staff were generally unhelpful or disinterested. Reception staff rude, bar staff rude, waiters, rude, although the chef serving breakfast was really nice. Rooms....i stayed in a "suite" which was nice enough, although bathroom was just horrible, should have been replaced years ago! the "spa" as it is referred to, is no better than a public swimming pool, which is ok, but spa, i think is a little misleading really. In summary OK for a one night stop over, but I wouldnt make it a destination hotel.

Room tip: primrose suite
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
ShireHotels, Mark C. Bowers - General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback following your stay. I’m disappointed to read that your stay was not to Cottons’ usual high standards. Every effort is made to provide a comfortable stay for our guests and rest assured your feedback has been noted.

Mark C. Bowers,