“A warm welcoming place”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I visited for for birthday treat with my husband in November. The pub was busy but the staff were friendly and attentive. It has a happy atmosphere. I order lamb shank for my main course and my husband wanted to try the fish and chips. I absolutely loved my lamb shank, it was just perfect for me. However my husband was a little disappointed with his fish and chips, not that it was poor quality but he had better fish and chips elsewhere. The fish could have been seasoned before battered. My husband did try some of my lamb shank and he liked it.
I had a dessert which was great success too.
Overall, I would return to this place and recommend others too.

Richard C, General Manager at Golden Pheasant, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit, I am delighted that you enjoyed your special day and particularly the service. Our fish batter is prepared daily from our ales and usually does not disappoint, the lamb shank is a regular feature on our menu due to its popularity.
Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Golden Pheasant

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Came here as we have never been before and have heard, as well as read some good things about this place.

Well, all I can say is my wife and I left very disappointed! We went for their carvery, the meat was dry, the veg was well over cooked and the gravy tasted like it was from a packet! The staff seemed like they didn't want to be there and weren't exactly attentive either.

I could go on, but needless to say we won't be returning. I don't know if it was a one off as is the case sometimes but, for a carvery you would expect it to remain a certain standard over the course of the day (not that we came in late)

9  Thank FrederickRJunior

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit. A lot of our guests visit due to personal recommendation, which is the highest form of praise. I am sorry that on this occasion our Carvery disappointed, something which both the head chef and I are reviewing. Our food is freshly prepared on site, and other than our gluten free gravy our sauces are prepared from base ingredients. Our staff are usually a high light of our customers visit and I can only apologise that on the day of your visit we didn't create the guest experience we usually aim to provide.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Visited at 3pm on Sunday for the 3 course carvery which is on 12-4pm. Our starters (soup and pate) took quite a while to come and we suspected our order had not been put in to the kitchen. The carvery was ok although we would advise you to arrive much earlier as the food was a bit dried up by the time we got to it. The menu said honey roast parsnips came with the lamb but there weren't any, nor any stuffing left with the pork. The staff were having personal conversations whilst clearing and re-setting the tables which was quite unprofessional. Dessert was ok but nothing special. The service was friendly though.

The toilets obviously hadn't been checked as there was toilet paper and paper towels strewn around. Overall, adequate but not worth a re-visit.

6  Thank Gill w

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit, your feedback on the carvery is very constructive which will enable me to discuss the points raised with our head chef. Our facilities are checked regularly during the day, it is unfortunate that you found them in a less than satisfactory condition. We do have a very friendly team and I note that you were happy with the atmosphere in the restaurant, I hope given time you would consider visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

The rooms were a little dated although (the suite) was spacious but felt like you were staying at your Nan's place in comparison to the modern/pub restaurant. No complaints about the cleanliness and the staff were very warm and welcoming. However, the food did not quite hit the spot.

5  Thank balimoon
Richard C, General Manager at Golden Pheasant, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Our rooms are very traditionally furnished with the two four poster rooms being particularly spacious. Our house keeper is dedicated to maintaining them to the highest standards. It is unfortunate that on this occasion our food was not to your expectations, should you stay with us again we will endeavour to rectify this, however we do have a fantastic team and I thank you on their behalf for your kind comments.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We live quite near but we'd never tried The Golden Pheasant but we are so glad we finally have, the staff are lovely & friendly & can't do enough for you, the food was fantastic with home made chips which is a rarity, the portions are very generous, we will definitely be back.

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit. We are glad you enjoyed your food, our chunky hand cut chips are almost worth a visit on their own! Now the winter is truly setting in the fires are roaring, we look forward to seeing you again.