“Avoid the Tagliatelle, they grated plastic into ours!”

The Bells of Peover
Ranked #2 of 102 Restaurants in Knutsford
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Recently awarded Cheshire Lifes dining pub of the year The Bells of Peover is a beautilful, Grade 1 listed dining pub that has been under new ownership since September 2009. Food offerings range from homemade bar snacks to full a la carte menu. Our food is British and we offer daily specials highlighting the best seasonal, local produce available.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Restaurant is set in a lovely church setting and the internal décor has been modernised.

Myself and my wife had the lovely Tagliatelle each, its served with green vegetables and the sauce was scrumptious.

However towards the end of the meal, my wife discovered plastic in her sauce.

We informed the waitress and she went into the kitchen and came back some time later, without much of a explanation mentioning that it might have been from the parmesan cheese packaging whilst grating the cheese on top of the meal, she offered a free dessert.

I was quite irate at this table service (which had been good until now) as they did not really want to admit they had grated plastic into our meal.

I asked for the bill and they had reduced the bill considerably to £5.80, however they had made me feel like one of these cheapskate customers restaurant seem to fall victim to, looking for a free meal.

Staff called it a "honest mistake", however I don't seem to feel actively grating plastic into our meal can be called a "honest mistake".

I paid the bill in full on principle as we did enjoy it up until we found grated plastic in it!

Check your meals for foreign matter if you go!

2  Thank vzj

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Had popped into the Bells of Peover for a drink on a previous occasion when walking but had not taken a good look at their restaurant. So remembering only the small bar we'd patronised in our walking gear was slightly reluctantly persuaded by my wife to try on a Saturday night. Was surprised to get in at the last minute - maybe everyone was on holiday - but came away so pleased that we were able to.

The staff were so very pleasant and efficient.

I had one of my favourite starters - scallops - which I thought were very marginally undercooked. my wife had fish cakes with a noodle salad which she though spot on.

We both had the same main course of a beef & mushroom pie with a filet steak on the same plate. Yes we thought this was an odd combination beef pie & beef; but after putting the waitress through the third degree decided to try it. (apparently a new dish which the waitress had tried so she knew exactly what she was talking about - other restaurants should take notice) Absolutely delicious! Not up on pastry but this was thin and crisp with I suppose a topping of puff pastry - forgive me my wife is not around to instruct me - but no one would be disappointed with this dish. Still drooling over it so cannot remember the dessert except that was equally enjoyable. Good wine list.
Given daylight the village of Lower Peover is worth exploring - the Church is next to the Bells.
Not much further away is Peover Hall which was HQ to General Patton during the war - there is also memorabilia in the Bells of the American sojourn in the area.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Dined with large family group including American relatuives who enjoyed the historical side of the place with its WWII associations. Sunday lunch has 3 or 2 course menu. Everyone was delighted with their choices, but vegetarian options (rfor two of us) were less exciting than the meat or fish choices, which is so ofter the case. Most vegetarians can easily whip up a vegetable based sauce at home, but want something more adventurous when they dine out. There was a single veggie choice of main so it was pasta again! service was friendly and efficient.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We visit this area regularly and have always loved this picturesque and historic restaurant. However our recent visit will be our last. A restaurant that promises so much now apparently delivers little more than overpriced "pub grub".

We were given a menu that was little more than standard pub fixed price menu with a few add ons.

The only genuine good quality starter was the scallops which were nice and well presented. What a pity the remainder of the menu was not equally so.

The pitiful main course menu was the first I honestly struggled to find something worth eating. It boasted a selection of sausages and pies!

We had the beef and mushroom pie which was delivered in iron pie holders with pie literally collapsed inside it and a can of chips on the side. There was around 4 lumps of overdone meat inside, tiny items I guess were the mushrooms all in a dried staining I guess at some time must have been the gravy! Truly I could have bought an infinitely better pie from a local service station at less than a quarter of the price.

When I questioned the head waiter as to what had happened to this once renowned restaurant I got the same "chef is changing the menu" answer as one previous contributor but some 2 weeks later.

A beer and tonic water, 2 scallop starters, 2 awful pies, a bottle of their less expensive wine and after dinner drinks will set you back over £90! A lot to pay for a meal I could have bettered in any food pub within a 100 mile radius.

It's a great shame that a venue I have lauded to our friends in the past will definitely be on our must avoid list from now on. Incidentally we spoke to a local couple on adjoining table who used use this place regularly and were returning to see what it was like. They are not going again!

2  Thank Tony C
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We enjoyed the experience of dining here. It's a lovely pub and the decor is lovely. The chairs are particularly comfortable. But the food was average and there was a very funny smell throughout the pub. That said it was overall a nice experience and we would go back.