“Not a good start to 2014 ...”

The King's Arms Hotel
Ranked #9 of 22 Restaurants in Lockerbie
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We had the misfortune to be caught in some dreadful weather on our way back South near the end of lunch time kitchen opening hours so we made the mistake of leaving the motorway for a bite to eat at the Kings Arms Hotel.

We had possibly the worst "haddock" and chips I have ever had to endure (I was hungry after a long drive down from the Highlands but I still left most of my meal on the plate). Fresh fish this was not - a grey, watery thing encased in soggy batter. The chips and garden peas were at least edible ....

The fella doing the serving was a nice chap and looked quite embarrassed when he saw most of our meals left untouched.

On the bright side our eating can only get better in 2014 ...

2  Thank Nunhead N

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Visited the kings arms for the first time a couple of weeks ago with 6 friends, we had varied dishes and a full three courses ..... and there were NO complaints. Except that we were too full!! I really can not understand the negative comments I am reading, we found it so good and such exceptional value we are returning for our monthly girlie meeting and a fantastic Xmas menu tomorrow! The food and the exceptionally friendly staff made the choice for us, we usually go to a different venue every month. Can't wait, I am hungry just thinking about it.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My sister, mother and I stopped in for a meal here when we were staying in a hotel nearby. 2 of us got the steak pie which seemed to have more fat than steak, as a result my mum actually left 75% of her meal, I wasn't as put off and finished mine as I was pretty hungry. My sister was happy with her meal. Although the staff were really nice we struggled to get quick service and felt a bit neglected. All in all it wasn't bad but we wouldn't go back.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have been before and always enjoyed lunch as it is a half way stop from England. This is the first time we had friends with us and they were as impressed as us great sandwich's and chips, also soups or omelet. Friendly staff very helpfull.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have to say straight off that I think my wife and I made the wrong choices on the menu!

I don't usually go for curry in pubs etc as they are not the same as in an Indian restaurant and this was the case here - too much spice and not that special.

Similarly my wife chose the cajun chicken and this was very spicey too.

Nice traditional environment though and everyone was very friendly. I have eaten here before with work colleagues and gone for the traditional British food which has always been very good.