All reviewsmark and moraghome cookedwarm welcomeexcellent hostsevening mealsmoked salmonlittle gemvery comfortable roomlocal produceold friendshigh standardpuddingquiet villagesat navwonderful foodoff the beaten trackstayed for one night
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I booked room number three and dinner after reading the good reviews in tripadvisor. We had high expectations. The room was spacious, well heated and spotlessly clean (good cleaning of the rooms is something I have grown to appreciate in my travels). There is Wi-Fi and Mark on-hand if you need help connecting. Our dinner was preceded by an introduction to the area by Mark and a good description of the various entrees and starters etc on offer on the menu. I chose Cream of Asparagus Soup - which was deeply creamy and tasted of Asparagus. However there were little accents of other flavours which I enjoyed and it's also the first time I thought the addition of chopped parsley was enhancing rather than just bad habit. My main course was Chicken Pie with lemony carrots accompanied with cabbage. The Hen was juicy in a well made béchamel and leek sauce. (very trad). The whole topped with puff pastry. New spuds completed the dish. I enjoyed my dinner and so did my wife (who also will / has reviewed the Hightae Inn separately) My sleep that night was perfect with no noise from the other residents or noise of any kind from outside. Breakfast ( all the usual stuff you would expect) was served promptly with good (cona filter) coffee. The area round Hightae is lovely with gently rolling hills and patchwork fields. I counted around hundred swallows on the phone line. The Hightae Inn is almost perfect in every respect bar one .. its too far from my own home to visit more regularly. Superb work Morag (owner chef) and Mark (Owner, Barman and everything else except chef) - may you continue to have your well deserved rep on TripAdvisor. Thank you both.

Room Tip: The Fitness centre is the whole of the Scottish Borders outside the Inn.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We found the Hightae purely through Trip Advisor when we were looking for somewhere to stay overnight on the way to a week in Scotland. Rather than go for the "hotel off the motorway" we were looking for somewhere a bit different and a bit special.
What can I say - it does what it says on the tin! Nice room, clean and lovely food (actually, it was the best meal we had all week, although we didn't know it at the time!).
Mark and Morag were perfect hosts and very friendly. Couldn't do enough for us, even to the extent of posting on a jacket we'd managed to leave in the wardrobe!
Would we stay again? Yes, without a doubt. We are planning another week in Scotland next year and the Hightae will certainly be on the agenda for the overnighter!

Room Tip: We had 2 rooms upstairs and both were equally nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed at the Hightae Inn at the end of August on our way North from London to the Isle of Arran. The inn was recommended by a friend who stayed there a couple of times for the same purpose. He said that it was a really good place to stay and eat. We agree with him. Very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Completely unexpected. Hightae Inn exceeded every aspect of the hospitality business.
The room was comfortable, large, and very private with all the modern facilities blended into the luxurious designs of days of old.
Mark and Morag Cuthbertson are perfectly matched with their talents, skills, and they generously give attention to each guest, providing them with a lasting memory of a wonderful vacation in this part of Scotland.
The breakfast is superb, and the dinners are heavenly. They know quality and can certainly cook to anyone's satisfaction. Included in their interests are wines, scotch(s), and travel. Conversation flows easily, naturally, and is inclusive, with enough levity to leave a smile on your face all day.

Room Tip: You must have a car to get into and out of Hightae which is beautifully isolated, with a cheery pub and a wonderfully relaxed restaurant that you hesitate to leave.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed September 10, 2013

What a great place to stay,spotless,comfortable room,and a really warm welcome.Mark and Morag were the perfect hosts.As well as a great breakfast they also do evening meals and would strongly recomend trying one ,you will not be disappointed .You may have wait as meals are cooked to order but Morags cooking is outstanding. We had lovely stay and will be returning the first chance we get.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple