“An unique and wonderful place”
Review of The Hightae Inn

The Hightae Inn
Ranked #1 of 13 Lockerbie B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Mark and Morag did a wonderful job in providing great experience to all the guests. My fiancé and I stayed in Hightae Inn for a night before heading back to London from Scotland. We were both highly impressed by the exceptional quality of food and accommodation. The room was spacious and bed was very comfy. The meals were fantastic and we both enjoy the cosy atmosphere a lot. I have no hesitation to recommend this Inn to everyone.

P.S. Indeed I lost my laptop charger in the Inn without realising but Mark kindly send it back to me quickly :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Ten members of our families stayed here as a base for our wedding in a nearby castle. It was perfect for our needs. Mark and Morag went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The bedrooms were all of a high standard, the meals were excellent as was the service. I would highly recommend this hotel as a base to explore the Dumfries and Galloway area or as a stopover and would certainly use it again should the opportunity arise.

Room Tip: Ring Mark and explain your needs. He will give you his honest opinion of what is available to suit y...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at the Hightae Inn for my father's wedding in a nearby castle. The whole weekend was excellent.

Rooms were spotless, spacious and decorated in a lovely chic style. Room freebies were a lovely surprise as they were locally sourced. Bed was really comfy.

Food in the Inn was absolutely wonderful, I was shocked to be honest at the how high the standard of food was, being such a small place. Food was also locally sourced, well seasoned, perfectly sized portions and a great choice available. I chose the rib-eye steak and it was the best I've ever had, top marks to the chef (Morag). We ended both evenings with a selection of whiskeys and there were a fantastic range to choose from. Breakfast also exceeded our expectations.

Service at the hotel was friendly, efficient and we felt it couldn't have been better. Mark and Morag made us all feel at home, catered for a vast range of needs within our large group and really did their all to make the weekend special.

We would all recommend the Inn and happily pay them another visit ourselves.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Mark & Morag obviously take a genuine pride in running this cosy restaurant with rooms, and so they should. The Hightae Inn has an understated elegance that makes it special, whilst still feeling relaxing and homely. We initially decided to stay because of the superking sized bed & the down duvets and pillows, and it's this attention to detail and quality that makes the Hightae such a lovely place to stay. Tasteful furnishings, cotton sheets, simple home-cooked gorgeous meals (including really good quality sausages at breakfast), Arran Aromatic toiletries, a great range of whiskeys and even a gin from Islay!
We had a great time chatting to Mark & Morag and were made to feel extremely welcome throughout our 2 night stay. We will be back. Oh yes, we will be back!
P.S. On our second night at dinner we were very amused by the table next to us who had been chatting away and then were suddenly reduced to complete silence whilst they ate their puddings and then told all the other tables that they all MUST try the Marmalade bread & Butter pudding.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2012

first stopped with mark and morag in 2009 and have stopped many times since whilst travelling and have never received anything but first class and warm friendly service along with my fellow travellers. the hightae is situated nicely just off the beaten track to create a nice relaxed atmosphere with a fine dining experience to be had due to morags cullinary skills, having a menu that suits a wide range of pallates, add to this a nicely stocked bar which is attentively manned by mark. the rooms are finished to a high standard with clean modern lines all ensuite and are spacious. rounded off nicely in the morning with a good breakfast and a bon voyage departure the hightae is far more than a b&b, its a pleasure to part with hard earned cash as you feel you haved more than your moneys worth.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was my 2nd stay with Mark & Morag! I chose The Hightae Inn as a half way stop on my way to the Isle of Mull first time around and didnt hesitate to choose it again. I stayed on my own first time and with a friend this time. The genuine warmth of the welcome you get when you arrive, the gorgeous, well equipped, comfortable and immaculately clean rooms, Morag's superb cooking (dinner & breakfast) Mark's incredible knowledge of the area (and the world of whiskey) just make the Hightae quite simply the nicest place I've ever stayed! Nothing is too much for these guys - they work very hard at making everything just as it should be and I felt superbly looked after. I love Mull and will return as often as I can. I whole heartedly recommend this Inn to anyone looking for great value and somewhere really nice to stay. Do have supper with them - the menu (sample menu on their website) is really special and superb value too!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 2, 2012

If your looking for a place to enjoy excellent dining in or around Dumfries, this is the place to go. Home cooked, quality ingredients coupled with first class service and wonderful surroundings. Not often you can find a place like this without going to a big city restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lockerbie
Townhead Hotel
Queens Hotel
Queens Hotel
#7 of 7 in Lockerbie
Friars Carse Country House Hotel

Been to The Hightae Inn? Share your experiences!