“Quite disappointing”
Review of Paul Leary @ The Woodhouse - CLOSED

Paul Leary @ The Woodhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Four of us went for lunch recently. We chose from the set lunch menu. The 2 types of bread were quite interesting but not exciting.
The smoked haddock kedgeree with poached egg starter was underwhelming. Nothing special about the presentation. The egg was hidden beneath a mound of yellow rice. This tasted of smoked haddock but no flakes of fish were in evidence. The rice was undercooked, still hard in places.
The main course of duck breast with spring roll and black kale was small, a slice of duck breast, a very small spring roll and 2 kale leaves and what appeared to be shredded kale in a sauce. The sauce around the plate seemed to be rather strong for the more subtle flavour of the duck and kale.
One of us had a different dish that he enjoyed.

There are newer reviews for Paul Leary @ The Woodhouse

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We visited for our Valentines Day meal. I always try to select somewhere special, but having moved house and city, this was more speculative than in the past. But wow! This, we both agreed, was the best Valentines meal we had ever had. The beef medallions simply defied description; I have never had better, and I'm not convinced I have ever had its equal. The service was excellent (apart from the slight faux pas of not offering a taste of the wine first), and the wine was better than we usually find, even in the very best restaurants in London. In fact, that one little faux-pas was the only blemish in an otherwise breathtaking evening.
Perhaps the best recommendation I can make is that we have earmarked this restaurant as one of 'our' places now, and we intend to return on the next occasion we can squeeze from our calendar.

2  Thank TandT59and51
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I very dissipoint about the food I eat last nigth, on the 10 course menu`, the food was cold, the portion very small, for the price we paid , the menu`not mach the price we paid.

fireblade4, Owner at Paul Leary @ The Woodhouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Very sorry to hear you didnt enjoy it, I must say its the first ever compliant about the ten course taster being small! As you asked us to stop serving twice for a breather i assumed it was because your table was full. As for the food being cold - we never serve the food piping hot as it would over cook the lamb - Venison - Salmon etc. Also you were a party of 10 which is quite difficult in a fine dining restaurant to send out. You also had plenty of bread to start which makes it 11 courses for £60 which in the current market is quite cheap. My wife stated your party was really enjoying the meal and couldnt thank us enough for a wonderful night so you can imagine we are quite shocked and very sorry for your comments

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Took my girlfriend to the woodhouse on a Saturday a few weeks back as a surprise/treat and we were not disappointed. Staff were incredibly attentive! We were greeted by a male member of staff who took us straight through and made sure we were all ok before he left, after ordering we received some 'home made bread' which was remarkable! If I could go to the local shop and buy any bread it'd definitely be a loaf of the stout and treacle that the restaurant serves. Throughout the night we were served by three staff in total but one particular waiter, I can only describe him as having interesting hair, served us for the majority of the night. He made sure we were ok for drinks and when our main courses came out he asked if he could do anything else for us whilst he was there, whilst we did not need anything the notion was much appreciated. The same waiter then cleared our plates and asked if we'd like a 5-10 minute break before ordering our deserts...this was much appreciated as the courses we ordered, on top of the complementary amuse, had been quite filling. Once our desert order was taken we were AGAIN surprised by a 'pre-desert', another complimentary course that adds to the novelty of the evening. Once all was done we payed and left an appreciative tip. So, overall? Food amazing. Staff amazing. We'll be returning soon without a doubt.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Once again we attended the guinea pig night, last Friday - a Burns night' special ! .The food as usual was cooked to perfection, the service attentive and the wine - the New Zealand sauvignon blanc was delicious. The four of us had a different meal each and none of us had any suggestions as to how any of the courses could be improved. The value of this event is extremely good, I regularly eat at the various establishments in Woodhouse Eaves and feel that this is the best place in terms of value for money. Usually my bill is much the same here as at the other restaurants, and whilst I have no complaints about the others as such, I feel the food at Paul Leary's -The Woodhouse- is much more inventive and imaginative. Also being a restaurant rather than a pub or pub/restaurant the whole evening is always much more of an occasion.

1  Thank s p