“Hidden gem”
Review of Paul Leary @ The Woodhouse - CLOSED

Paul Leary @ The Woodhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2012

A group of 12 of us dined out there recently and I have to say, the food, atmosphere, ambience and wine was exceptional. The two amuses-bouche were a welcome surprise and the home-made breads (especially the stout) were perfection. Couldn't fault it at all.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great food and wine list and good value it all feels a little old fashioned in the dinining room though

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have had some indifferent and overpriced meals in Leicestershire over the years, so it was a delight to finally find the Woodhouse. My brother had booked the restaurant for my father's 90th birthday which warranted some special food and Paul Leary and his staff delivered in spades.
The staff were attentive and welcoming and made no reference to how inconvenient for them the fact that some of our party were 40 minute late must have been. We had after all ordered in advance, so the kitchen must have been cursing us.
Fresh, warm, home-cooked bread arrived with two delicious butters, one of them I think with almond. This was followed by a complimentary volute with a warm, silken texture that nicely prepared my palate for the treats to come.
My starter was a quail presented on a slate and arranged beautifully. Tender breast was accompanied by a battered leg and a perfect egg flavoured with vinaigrette.Dazzlingly skillful.
I had ordered lamb for my main, and as it is my favourite red meat, I was expecting something extraordinary. I got it.
The most perfect piece of fillet I have ever eaten, like butter sat on a rectangular cut of shoulder, the tastiest part of the animal. There was also some liver (I think). The globe artichoke and baby turnips blended beautifully, along with a perfect sauce containing pecan nuts. Classic and inventive, I relished every mouthful and can't wait to come back and relive the experience.
Another complimentary course followed, this time an apple panna cotta topped with delicate crumble in a sherry glass.
I had cheeses for dessert, which were locally sourced, interesting and beautifully presented.
Considering the quality of the food, the bill was remarkably reasonable. The wines were uniformly excellent.
Stunning.

1  Thank Jools7000
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Excellent experience, good good with the opportunity of trying something different. Attention small detail makes the difference.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have enjoyed many meals at the woodhouse over the years and I have never been disappointed. It's not a cheap meal or one if you just want some quick food...you pay what the food, wine and service is worth and you have to go for a full three courses (amuse bouche!) and coffee...it would be ridiculous not to!!!!...treat it as an occasion....birthday, anniversary, romantic or general celebration or just a really good Sunday afternoon proper catch up with special friends or family...consistently good and consistently my favourite!