“Average service, nice food let down by detail”

Browns Lane Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #57 of 268 Restaurants in Loughborough
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Browns Lane has a stylish bar with a relaxed feel, and a restaurant that offers high quality freshly prepared cuisine. Imaginative cocktails to perfectly chilled champagne, freshly prepared lunchtime snack menus to the sumptuous specials board, create a perfect setting for any social occasion - coffee with a friend, a romantic meal for two or a big celebratory meal. The upstairs restaurant offers an a la carte menu of modern English 'with a twist' which changes monthly. All dishes are cooked to order using fresh, seasonal, local produce, by chefs who insist on a very high standard of cuisine. Our food is served until 10pm Monday to Saturday
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Service. I found this average. The staff were unable to answer the "do I need a reservation to dine here this evening" question in under five minutes; I twice had to ask if I could order rather than being asked. Having said that the staff were pleasant enough.

Menus. Whilst I realise the online menu is normally a "sample" for most restaurants... The online menu, the in-restaurant menu and the menu posted outside the building were all different. The venison I liked the look of on the menu posted outside was not on the menu inside the restaurant.

Food. The food has a 'gastro pub' feeling IMHO, which isn't a bad thing. I couldn't fault the aspiration to cook some nice dishes, however I feel it was let down by detail. I started with some prawns with baked avocado. The avocado was baked at one end and practically raw at the thinner end; the sauce was over-powering. For main I chose a rump of lamb - nice and pink on the inside (as ordered) but tough in places - okay at best. The desert, a creme brulee was good and the lavender biscuits a nice touch.

Venue: A nice space upstairs - both the building and the furniture.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I recently went to Browns for my work leaving do on a Thursday lunch time. Browns offer an lunch fixed menu; £7.95 two- course, £9.95 three-course. The choice was reasonable, with four options for starter/main and two for dessert. Everyone on our table found something they thought they would enjoy.

I orded "Poached pear, brie and walnut salad finished with red wine syrup" and "Flat Iron steak with roast and mash potatoes served with a peppercorn sauce" (steak an extra £1 supplement). The meal was absolutely delicious, the most innovative salad i have ever had. The steak was cooked perfectly to my taste (medium/rare) and was a generous portions considering it was described as "flat iron" on menu. Everyone on the table equally enjoyed their meals.

The service was spot on, attentive but not too intrusive.

Atmosphere very nice, quite quiet when we went but i imagine it gets busier. Lovely rustic feel to the place with exposed beams etc. Would definitely go again!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was looking for somewhere local to dine and your place sprung to mind as I knew you served food till 10. It was a delightful meal with spit on attentive yet unobtrusive service. The food was well priced. Unfortunately because my guest and I were driving we did not sample any wine but I am sure that would have been just as good as the food!! Because it was a Tuesday night and late it was lacking a little in atmosphere but that was my fault for picking that day and time not yours!! So well done all round!!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Browns lane saved the day for us last Sunday!!
Being Mothers day we where able to get a reservation at short notice after a restaurant I shall not name in wymeswold let us down big style,ie they couldnt fit my mother in!!
Anyway we had an excellent meal great service and the staff very helpfull.
There is lots of choice, and the portion size's are huge much to my two sons delight.
Another nice touch were the daffodil plants given to all the mothers as we left.
Well done Browns lane.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was a Brown's on a Friday lunch time for a business lunch. I had the set price menu which had a good choice. The food was great and the fixed price menu seemed to be a genuinely good deal without any corners cut. A couple on a table near me were good naturedly asking for modifications to their dishes and the waitress seemed happy to oblige. A nice atmosphere and a good meal. Recommended.